CSNbbs
So who should #14 be? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: MACbbs Archives (/forum-480.html)
+----- Thread: So who should #14 be? (/thread-418558.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: So who should #14 be? - JHG722 - 02-08-2010 10:08 PM

I see a few Ls in there for Western Virginia State College...

RE: So who should #14 be? - RecoveringHillbilly - 02-08-2010 10:13 PM

(02-08-2010 10:08 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  I see a few Ls in there for Western Virginia State College...

I understand why you'd try to overlook losing 17 of the last 19, as it's slightly worse than losing 12 of 14 to another team.

RE: So who should #14 be? - JHG722 - 02-08-2010 10:19 PM

(02-08-2010 10:13 PM)RecoveringHillbilly Wrote:  
(02-08-2010 10:08 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  I see a few Ls in there for Western Virginia State College...

I understand why you'd try to overlook losing 17 of the last 19, as it's slightly worse than losing 12 of 14 to another team.

What do you want me to say? We've sucked for a long, long time. Our previous administration did us no help by trying to drop football. We were left to recruit only JUCO players, and had all kinds of APR issues because of it.

As our video says, "It's a new era at Temple".

RE: So who should #14 be? - RecoveringHillbilly - 02-08-2010 10:52 PM

(02-08-2010 10:19 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  What do you want me to say? We've sucked for a long, long time. Our previous administration did us no help by trying to drop football. We were left to recruit only JUCO players, and had all kinds of APR issues because of it.

Now there's some humility. Yes, Temple, Army, Navy would never join the MAC in full, or the latter for football.

I once thought TX State could possibly join up as UCF did, when they were the only FCS school with stated intent to move up. But with UTSA's recent announcement to move up even if they were indy for a while, I gotta think TX State tries the same experiment. Other than that, only Jack State and Lamar have hinted at moving up. They all can't join the Belt, so we could see freelance Southern indys just getting by playing each other, some money games, and an old FCS foe or 2, with their other sports in a non-football conference. I doubt Ill. State, Southern Ill., Mizzu State would afford nor risk leaving the Valley for MAC all-sports. I can't see anyone being available. Stony Brook would certainly join, but I don't think any long-shot upgrades among CAA school would go for the MAC.

RE: So who should #14 be? - CMUprof - 02-09-2010 12:16 AM

(02-08-2010 10:19 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  What do you want me to say? We've sucked for a long, long time. Our previous administration did us no help by trying to drop football. We were left to recruit only JUCO players, and had all kinds of APR issues because of it.

You might want to string together more than 1 winning season before you proclaim mission accomplished and start packing your bags for the Big East.

RE: So who should #14 be? - JHG722 - 02-09-2010 01:23 AM

(02-09-2010 12:16 AM)CMUprof Wrote:  

You might want to string together more than 1 winning season before you proclaim mission accomplished and start packing your bags for the Big East.

Thank you for the advice. 03-zzz

RE: So who should #14 be? - emu steve - 02-09-2010 04:52 AM

(02-08-2010 09:04 PM)Siborg Wrote:  
(02-08-2010 04:46 PM)emu steve Wrote:  RE: Army.

I suggested this a year or so ago on an Army board and got laughed off the board.

I'll never suggest Army again. :)

Yeh, every time this is brought up........Great for the MAC but what in the world would Army gain from that move? I'd love to see us get Army and Navy ( never gonna happen ) and have 3 divisions of 5 with a 4 team mini MAC tourny. Then go bowling.

People forget a HUGE consideration for both Army and Navy: The Army Navy game.

It used to be the same weekend as the championship games.

Now it is a week after MACC, but does one of the academies want, e.g., to play in the MACC and then play against the other a week later??? (this would be like having UT/BG the week after the MACC. 05-nono).

Quite frankly without accusing either academy of snobbery, it isn't a good fit for them.

RE: So who should #14 be? - mpurdy22 - 02-09-2010 08:31 AM

A few months ago, I would have voted for Illinois State, but now I think we have to wait and see what impact the Big Ten's move does. I would hope the MAC office has already contacted the Big Ten to get a hint at what they are doing so the MAC can plan accordingly. Will Temple go back to the Big East? Will a Toledo or Miami or OU end up going to C-USA if that conference loses a few members to the Big East after the Big Ten makes their move? If the MAC only loses Temple, then problem solved.

RE: So who should #14 be? - axeme - 02-09-2010 09:01 AM

I would seriously doubt the Big Ten is giving out any hints about their plans to anyone but those involved, let alone the MAC, who would be far down on the list of people to notify. We'll probably hear about it a week later.

RE: So who should #14 be? - conrock - 02-09-2010 09:14 AM

(02-08-2010 07:13 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(02-08-2010 06:52 PM)mollautt Wrote:  =>What we need is contraction, not addition.

Well if we get into the BE or ACC, the MAC should be fine, no?

Or the ECC you could revive those Delaware/Drexel tilts. Noone could forget looking up in the standings to Mighty Bucknell or Lafayette !!!

http://www.shrpsports.com/cb/stand.php?link=Y&season=1980&divcnf=latefin&conf=ECC&date=20&month=Aprthose

RE: So who should #14 be? - conrock - 02-09-2010 09:33 AM

Disregard the youthful immaturity. He probably does not remember the A10 days when both Temple and WVU were equals. Now WVU is a FULL member of the Big East and plays in BCS bowls. Temple football got saved by the MAC and their basketball team squares off in their conf games against Fordham and St. Bonaventure.

Be understanding of him, just a tad.

RE: So who should #14 be? - conrock - 02-09-2010 09:37 AM

(02-09-2010 09:01 AM)axeme Wrote:  I would seriously doubt the Big Ten is giving out any hints about their plans to anyone but those involved, let alone the MAC, who would be far down on the list of people to notify. We'll probably hear about it a week later.

Pitt folks think its them but I think Syracuse is a better fit. I can't see PSU wanting Pitt and Syracuse is still the biggest ticket in NYC. Rutgers is thought of as a JC compared to SU in the city (where SU's enrollment has about 30 % of it enrollment from). If they are going east I say SU.

Then I see UCF going into the Big East.

RE: So who should #14 be? - Bull_In_Exile - 02-09-2010 11:33 AM

(02-08-2010 09:30 PM)marklbgsu Wrote:  
(02-08-2010 09:10 PM)Siborg Wrote:  
(02-08-2010 06:48 PM)NIUGAHuskie Wrote:  
Quote:Youngstown State - again, similar problem, but I do believe they could flourish in FBS, especially in football. Could be just as easy a jump as SIU and would be less of a cluster than either bringing in UF or CSU, but still a cluster.

Grand Valley State - I'm not sure how quickly they'd make the jump from D2 to FBS and also not sure how the state of Michigan would do with four MAC teams and six FBS teams, but I do have to call it an intriguing option, or at least something worth thinking about.
Gawd, all we need are more Ohio and/or Michigan schools 03-puke
No Thanks.

I'm from Ohio but I agree, we have enough Ohio and Michigan schools.. Another Illinois or Indiana school would be ok for me. A Kentucky school could be nice too ( WKU ). Too bad that didn't happen. That would have put us closer to some more good football recruiting states ( Ga,Al,Ms ) and gotten a solid bball program.

Agreed, hence I listed YSU and GVSU in the original post as longshots. Being from Ohio, I just don't know of any Kentucky and/or Indiana schools that would be good fits in the MAC or that would be ready to jump to FBS.

The School should be on the border of an existing MAC state

In order of my preference:

North East PA
Northern Kentucky
Northern West Virginia
Southern Wisconsin
Eastern Iowa

RE: So who should #14 be? - Bull_In_Exile - 02-09-2010 11:37 AM

(02-09-2010 04:52 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(02-08-2010 09:04 PM)Siborg Wrote:  
(02-08-2010 04:46 PM)emu steve Wrote:  RE: Army.

I suggested this a year or so ago on an Army board and got laughed off the board.

I'll never suggest Army again. :)

Yeh, every time this is brought up........Great for the MAC but what in the world would Army gain from that move? I'd love to see us get Army and Navy ( never gonna happen ) and have 3 divisions of 5 with a 4 team mini MAC tourny. Then go bowling.

People forget a HUGE consideration for both Army and Navy: The Army Navy game.

It used to be the same weekend as the championship games.

Now it is a week after MACC, but does one of the academies want, e.g., to play in the MACC and then play against the other a week later??? (this would be like having UT/BG the week after the MACC. 05-nono).

Quite frankly without accusing either academy of snobbery, it isn't a good fit for them.

I think Army is more worth the accommodation than Temple is.

If Army joins that Army navy game is non conference, who care when they play it?

RE: So who should #14 be? - Airport KC - 02-09-2010 01:14 PM

(02-09-2010 08:31 AM)mpurdy22 Wrote:  Will a Toledo or Miami or OU end up going to C-USA if that conference loses a few members to the Big East after the Big Ten makes their move? If the MAC only loses Temple, then problem solved.

That is a question that is hard to answer. Let's say if the next round triggers a mass exodus of 3-4 Big East schools and BOTH Temple and Buffalo find themselves in the Big East.

If that is the case, that leave the MAC at 11 school severly weakened and also removes potentially Memphis/ECU from the Big East. Marshall is more isolated than before and wen TCU left they left the West schools pick and this time it will be the East schools doing the picking.

UAB will block USA/Troy from joining CUSA, UCF will block FAU/FIU.

That leaves for CUSA:

1) Add WKU/MTSU
2) Add Georiga St/Charlotte
3) Add LaTech/Arkansas St
4) Add Ohio/Miami Oh

There is going to be a knock against adding WKU/MTSU for academics. Georgia St/Charlotte aren't at the FBS level yet. LaTech may be blocked by Tulane.

The 4 private schools may like the idea of adding Ohio/Miami Oh with their tier 1 reputations. If they then leave the MAC, that would leave the MAC at a nice 9 member upper Midwest conference.

Other MAC schools have a lot going for them such as Toledo however combining tier 1 status with geography, Ohio/Miami both make the most sense.

CUSA could take 6 MAC schools and move to 16. If that were the case, in addition to Ohio/Miami they would be taking NIU, Toledo, Akron, and WMU. However I don't really think that makes sense for CUSA.

Another thing I could see is CUSA consider going to 14, an early Ohio/Miami expansion to maintain its championship game, and then Georgia St/Charlotte expansion for BB only first until they move to FBS.

Why would CUSA want to expand beyond 12? For travel costs alone it would be a good idea. The East schools do not want that many games against the west and vice versa.

14 in a 2 division setup allows for 6 divisional games and 1 cross over on the road, and 1 at home. 16 in a 2 division setup allows for 7 divisional games and 1 cross over both home and away for a 9 game conference schedule. Every other year schools in a 16 team conference would have 5 league home games.

Its really hard to say exactly what CUSA would do in a realignment situation....If Marshall and UCF are left hanging they'll get to have the most influnce on who is added. Its possible UCF may actually want another Florida school as FIU/FAU are in Miami and that goes with the large market philosophy.

RE: So who should #14 be? - JHG722 - 02-09-2010 03:37 PM

(02-09-2010 09:33 AM)conrock Wrote:  

Disregard the youthful immaturity. He probably does not remember the A10 days when both Temple and WVU were equals. Now WVU is a FULL member of the Big East and plays in BCS bowls. Temple football got saved by the MAC and their basketball team squares off in their conf games against Fordham and St. Bonaventure.

You mean the same A10 that's currently at Big Six level?

RE: So who should #14 be? - Airport KC - 02-09-2010 04:37 PM

(02-09-2010 03:37 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

The A-10 is not top to bottom a Big Six level conference.

When is the last time the A-10 placed a school in the final 4? It was probably 1996 UMass under John Calipari.

The A-10 does have Temple, Xavier, UMass but none of those are on the level of say UCLA.

RE: So who should #14 be? - JHG722 - 02-09-2010 05:19 PM

(02-09-2010 04:37 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  

When is the last time the A-10 placed a school in the final 4? It was probably 1996 UMass under John Calipari.

The A-10 does have Temple, Xavier, UMass but none of those are on the level of say UCLA.

We have been even with the bottom two of the Big Six. If not for Fordham, we'd be 4th or 5th.

RE: So who should #14 be? - RecoveringHillbilly - 02-09-2010 05:35 PM

(02-09-2010 11:33 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Eastern Iowa

If the Big 12 implodes Iowa State might be close enough. Wait..I guess we'd want good programs.

RE: So who should #14 be? - Airport KC - 02-09-2010 06:12 PM

(02-09-2010 05:19 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(02-09-2010 04:37 PM)Airport KC Wrote:  

We have been even with the bottom two of the Big Six. If not for Fordham, we'd be 4th or 5th.

The A10 is very top heavy.