CSNbbs
LaTech's Dooley to UT - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+----- Forum: Sun Belt Smack Talk (/forum-309.html)
+----- Thread: LaTech's Dooley to UT (/thread-413623.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

LaTech's Dooley to UT - KAjunRaider - 01-15-2010 02:13 PM

Tech now has to replace an AD and football HC.

Big leap, indeed.

Daddy's name carries a lot of weight in $EC circles, apparently. Still a better hire than Lane "Change" Kiffin.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - chiefsfan - 01-15-2010 02:27 PM

Must Resist urge to go mess with Tech fans

Awful hire for UT. They are looking for a splash so they hired a guy with a losing record from the WAC?

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - AstroCajun - 01-15-2010 02:30 PM

(01-15-2010 02:27 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Must Resist urge to go mess with Tech fans

Awful hire for UT. They are looking for a splash so they hired a guy with a losing record from the WAC?

Their board is down. Full and epic meltdown currently going down.03-lmfao

04-cheers

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - arkstfan - 01-15-2010 02:33 PM

Not sure long-term its a bad hire, not like he was at Tech long enough to get a full feel for what he can do. Short-term, not one that will make much of any Vol fans happy. Give it a month and they'll be drunkenly slurring their way through Rocky Top proclaiming Dooley the best coach in the SEC.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - CardinalBlackTrojan - 01-15-2010 02:47 PM

I'm sure the name Dooley had a little bit to do with it.

What now for the LaTech program?? yikes.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - KAjunRaider - 01-15-2010 02:55 PM

(01-15-2010 02:33 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Not sure long-term its a bad hire, not like he was at Tech long enough to get a full feel for what he can do. Short-term, not one that will make much of any Vol fans happy. Give it a month and they'll be drunkenly slurring their way through Rocky Top proclaiming Dooley the best coach in the SEC.

Rocky Top, no. They'll be slurring to their new fightsong:

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - theATLDawg - 01-15-2010 02:55 PM

well he will probably hire his own replacement. He would have been gone after next year anyway. I am a bit surprised that UT would hire that unproven of a coach but word is they can't get anybody else. Dooley didn't exactly light up the Wac last year but I think next year would have been his breakout year. What he did do however was refurbish all of the facilities. I hope this doesn't stop the new endzone project but I doubt it will. Word on the street is we will try to hire Gus Malzahn. It would be a slight step up in pay. I am surprised UT didn't go after Gus

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - Fanof49ASU - 01-15-2010 03:26 PM

(01-15-2010 02:55 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  What he did do however was refurbish all of the facilities.

UT doesn't need a handyman....they need a coach. : )

Seriously....I can't stand Loser Tech.....everyone knows that....but Malzahn would be an interesting hire at your school.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - InjunJohn - 01-15-2010 03:58 PM

I doubt seriously that Mazahn would go to Tech. He is the OC at a SEC school with only one year under his belt. Look what he did with that offense and he didn't really have the players he needed. They have a QB coming in that will play next year that everyone is drooling over and right now Auburn has a top 10 recruiting class. If Malzahn wants to be a HC, I bet he takes another year or two at Auburn, tries to win the SEC and a BCS bowl and then head to a major program. He has done some good things at a couple of different schools but wasn't given the chance at Ark and now he has the opportunity to prove he can have a dominant offense in the toughest conference in college football.

He damn sure won't jump for the money because Tech can't touch that, I am sure.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - theATLDawg - 01-15-2010 04:17 PM

Malzahn will be a long shot for sure but Tech has set it self up as a pretty good school for coaches to get experience and move on. If he stepped into Tech it would be a slight step up in pay and if he succeeds the Sec schools will come looking. For god sake Tennessee came after Dooley. and lets not forget, Tech has seven home games next year and a game against Grambling in Shreveport. they will be pretty good and should go to a bowl. If a good up and coming coach wants to get his name out there, he couldnt be stepping into a better situation. and Tech is having one of its best recruiting classes in years so if a good coach comes in and holds onto them, it could be a win win.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - theATLDawg - 01-15-2010 04:25 PM

(01-15-2010 03:26 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
(01-15-2010 02:55 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  What he did do however was refurbish all of the facilities.

UT doesn't need a handyman....they need a coach. : )

Seriously....I can't stand Loser Tech.....everyone knows that....but Malzahn would be an interesting hire at your school.
I don't know what UT needs right now. They are in a pickle and I cant believe they think Dooley is the answer. The man can recruit well. all Tech needs to succeed is to continue to upgrade upgrade upgrade. Its more about facilities right now.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - bluephi1914 - 01-15-2010 04:38 PM

(01-15-2010 04:17 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  Malzahn will be a long shot for sure but Tech has set it self up as a pretty good school for coaches to get experience and move on. If he stepped into Tech it would be a slight step up in pay and if he succeeds the Sec schools will come looking. For god sake Tennessee came after Dooley. and lets not forget, Tech has seven home games next year and a game against Grambling in Shreveport. they will be pretty good and should go to a bowl. If a good up and coming coach wants to get his name out there, he couldnt be stepping into a better situation. and Tech is having one of its best recruiting classes in years so if a good coach comes in and holds onto them, it could be a win win.

Get ready to lose a lot of those guys buddy...

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - theATLDawg - 01-15-2010 04:47 PM

(01-15-2010 04:38 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  
(01-15-2010 04:17 PM)theATLDawg Wrote:  Malzahn will be a long shot for sure but Tech has set it self up as a pretty good school for coaches to get experience and move on. If he stepped into Tech it would be a slight step up in pay and if he succeeds the Sec schools will come looking. For god sake Tennessee came after Dooley. and lets not forget, Tech has seven home games next year and a game against Grambling in Shreveport. they will be pretty good and should go to a bowl. If a good up and coming coach wants to get his name out there, he couldnt be stepping into a better situation. and Tech is having one of its best recruiting classes in years so if a good coach comes in and holds onto them, it could be a win win.

Get ready to lose a lot of those guys buddy...

we quite possibly could, but we still have alot of great athletes already on the roster. Losing a few recruits is not worth rushing into a bad coaching hire but a good up and coming coach could be stepping into a nice situation if he can keep the recruiting class together. The problem is that in order to keep the class together the decision has to be made quick but only if its a slam dunk.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - Burn the Horse - 01-15-2010 05:59 PM

[Image: funny-dog-pictures-cone-lol.jpg]

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - RaiderATO - 01-15-2010 06:46 PM

I always liked Dooley. He's an attractive young man (no-homo) with a lot of energy and intelligence. Now, can he coach? Or better yet, can he hire the right assistants with the extra UT money?

He might be able to translate a mission and goals into these young recruits and get them to stick around. It can't be tough to convince a kid to NOT remain loyal to "Benedict Kiffin". There is plenty of ammo to use against him.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - T_Won1 - 01-15-2010 07:05 PM

Dooley was great for Tech. He was just what we needed. He came in and made some things happen. He toured the state promoting Tech and raising money. He called the former players and got them involved in the program. He made some great facility improvements. But, he wasn't as effective on the field.... yet. You can see the tide turning and next year would have been his breakout year.... or would it have? The jury is still out on Dooley the coach. And Tennessee could care less about raising money or facilities... they want some WINS! I think he is in over his head against his mentor (Saban), Urban Meyers, and Mark Richt, but he is probably better than what Auburn and LSU have.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - CardinalBlackTrojan - 01-15-2010 09:35 PM

Soooo is LaTech going to have a seperate AD now?

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - theATLDawg - 01-15-2010 10:13 PM

yeah i think we already had one in waiting. though i cant pronounce his name. looks like Malzahn is not that far off of a possibility afterall

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - T_Won1 - 01-15-2010 10:18 PM

(01-15-2010 09:35 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Soooo is LaTech going to have a seperate AD now?

Yes. Derek was the "vision." He hired an associate AD. The associate AD will now be the AD. The Associate AD will probaby get a raise, which was Derek's salary, and become the new AD. He will be responsible for hiring the new head coach. It is very doubtful that we will hire a guy that has the vision of Derek Dooley. So we will now have an AD (who co-sponsored Derek's vision) and a Head Coach (who has never heard of Derek Dooley)... and not a AD/Head Coach.

RE: LaTech's Dooley to UT - Burn the Horse - 01-15-2010 11:18 PM

this is going to set Tech back a few years.