CSNbbs
Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation (/thread-382834.html)

Pages: 1 2

Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - SF Husky - 08-21-2009 04:21 AM

Excellent writeup from the WVU newspaper.

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/200908210010

Bottom line is the following:

1. SUN/ACC is not a final deal. BE is still pursuing it.

2. Several bowls have called the BE about the #3 spot.

3. Car Care will have to increase its current payout of $1M quite a bit to get the #3 spot.

4. BE is also talking to Independence and Eagle Bowl about the 4-6 spot.

Things aren't as bleak as some of the anti-BE posters or all the negative Nancys here have stated. It is a fluid situation and things can change any minute.

Quote:Later, Gator - Big East not crying crocodile tears
by Jack Bogaczyk
Daily Mail Sports Editor
Advertiser

Later, Gator.

I have covered the Gator Bowl seven times. I've been there more times than West Virginia (six). That's saying a lot. The only teams that have been there more than I have are Florida and Clemson (eight apiece).

I've covered it in Jacksonville, Fla. I've covered it in the Swamp - when it was moved to Gainesville because of stadium construction to accommodate a new NFL team on the so-called First Coast.

I covered it in 1981 when a fog so thick rolled in off the St. John's River that you couldn't see the game from the pressbox.

I'll never forget that. Al Michaels and Lee Grosscup were calling the telecast for ABC, and we scribes were watching the tube to chart play-by-play because the game could only be seen from sideline cameras.

Michaels was getting a game call fed to him from an ABC spotter on the sidelines - yes, a human teleprompter of sorts. North Carolina beat Arkansas, coached by Lou Holtz, 31-27. It didn't help the fogged-in player identification process with UNC wearing white jerseys with light blue numbers.

I have covered the Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, Cotton, Citrus, Peach, Carquest, Independence, GMAC and Continental Tire bowls, and several multiple times, but none of those nearly as often as the Gator.

I have been to the Gator Bowl so many times, I got to know the perennial media hospitality room staffers on a first-name basis. The hospitality and food was warm. The beer was cold ... but enough about that.

I guess I won't be going to the Gator Bowl anymore - after perhaps this football season. The Big East Conference has sent teams there since 1994, but rather than share a Jacksonville bungalow with another league, has moved its No. 2 bowl selection to the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando.

(That '94 Big East debut in Jax was the aforementioned game in the Swamp, where a Tennessee freshman quarterback named Peyton Manning sliced and diced Virginia Tech's defense, coordinated by Phil Elmassian. Elmo is now at Division I-AA Illinois State as the DC, if you're counting his many moves.)

The Gator's last gasp with the Big East (where it's 4-7 since '94 in a bowl where Bobby Bowden has beaten Don Nehlen and Rich Rodriguez) will be Jan. 1, unless the Gator takes Notre Dame, which is what the bowl really wants to do.

So, I'll miss the Gator, but the Big East did well to get its No. 2 to Orlando (aging stadium issues aside) in a game that West Virginia lost twice when it was the Carquest and played in suburban Miami).

What the conference needs now is to land a solid payday in its No. 3 berth for 2010-13.

The $1.9 million spot in the Sun Bowl the Big East was expecting has apparently been taken by the ACC for its No. 5. See, Mike Tranghese has retired, but the ACC still is running the end-around on Big East football.

Nothing has been signed, but it still seems the Sun has set for the Big East.

Nick Carparelli, the Big East's associate commissioner for football operations, said Thursday that the conference isn't backing away from the Sun until he's told the news reports on Sun/ACC turn into a signed deal.

He also said that once the news broke Wednesday on the Sun committee's desires, the Big East didn't lack for calls from bowls wanting to get their hands on a No. 3 that could be a TV-thrilling Notre Dame or a fan-flocking WVU.

(It also will help the Big East profile mightily if Syracuse, a Big East football flagship and a not-so-long-ago regular postseason player, could return to a semblance of respectability soon.)

There also could be worse things than having No. 3 return to Charlotte, N.C., for the Meineke Car Care Bowl, which knows it will have to bump its $1 million payoff significantly to maintain its third-floor level with the Big East since other bowls will compete for the Muffler's spot.

What also should be said is that with the Champs (over a Gator/Sun hybrid) and even without the Sun at No. 3, the Big East already has upgraded its bowl attractiveness for teams and fans.

The league can only lose a berth to quasi-partner Notre Dame once in four years. It's two in four in the current deal. Also, if you had to choose a destination, wouldn't Orlando with its theme parks surpass Jacksonville or El Paso?

If the Big East bowl lineup doesn't change any more than Champs replacing the Gator/Sun arrangement, the conference is still ahead of where it has been.

Financially, the league will prosper, because the Champs Sports payout is $2.4 million base, with incentives (if the Big East and its foe can sell out the game, for example). The Big East has the same ticket commitment in Orlando that it has in Jacksonville - 12,500 seats.

Besides, the league and its members will simply do better financially because the next Bowl Championship Series telecast contract - $125 million annually from ESPN - climbs from the $88 million average that Fox is paying now.

It figures to take the BCS conferences from this past BCS season's $18.67 million minimum (for one bid) upwards of $22 million annually.

Keeping a presence in Florida - a major recruiting base - was crucial for the Big East, too.

The sands will continue shifting, the dominos dropping, starting with the Big Ten losing the Alamo Bowl for its No. 4-5 to the Pac-10, which will move its No. 2 up from the Holiday Bowl because the Alamo is paying $3 million.

The Big East has its current Nos. 4 through 6 deals with the International, PapaJohn's.com and St. Petersburg bowls. At least one of those is likely to be replaced.

The conference also is said to be talking with the Independence (Shreveport, La.) and EagleBank (Washington, D.C.) for those spots, and also is believed to be pushing for a new bowl to be created in New York City (Yankee Stadium?).

As for the Gator, I'd imagine I'll miss it more than the Big East will.

Contact Sports Editor Jack Bogaczyk at ja...@dailymail.com or 304-348-7949.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - Ring of Black - 08-21-2009 06:09 AM

That is an excellent article. Bogaczyk manages to lament the loss of the Gator, while acknowledging it's better for the BE overall (unlike some of the selfish WV writers), specifically in destination quality and the reduced ND ties. He also confirms some's thoughts on the Meineke and upping the ante for BE #3.

My feelings:

- By the time the B-12 juggles their bowl lineup, what's going to be left in the Ind Bowl? If it's like a #8-9, I'm not sure we just don't stick with the Pizza. I guess money talks, but Shreveport seems like a real pain for fans to get to.

- I wonder why he didn't mention the Music City Bowl. I think we're unanimously in favor of trying for that bowl as #3. Maybe it was just a case of the author being non-specific?

- EagleBank? Do we really want to play Navy in a bowl? Or another ACC team? I guess either beats a MAC #2/3 or C-USA #4/5, or whatever...

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - goodknightfl - 08-21-2009 06:41 AM

I tend to believe the BE will end up ok in these bowls.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - omniorange - 08-21-2009 07:01 AM

Most important news of this article:

"It figures to take the BCS conferences from this past BCS season's $18.67 million minimum (for one bid) upwards of $22 million annually."

For 12 team conferences that is basically a $300K increase per team but for the Big East, that is nearly a $500K increase per team. And the Big East was already third in terms of total net bowl revenue.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - TIGER-PAUL - 08-21-2009 04:00 PM

sun bowl said they should finalize deal by early next week. Might hear some movement after that.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - Bearcat 1984 - 08-21-2009 10:23 PM

History aside, El Paso is a hole. I've been there. I lived nearby. It's a hole.

Much better to be out on the west coast with Holiday Bowls, Emerald Nuts Bowls, or back east in the relative civilization of the South, then to be in the god-forsaken mountains of west Texas.

In order of preference for #3:

Music City : SEC opponent and $1.6 million
Independence Bowl: SEC or B12 opponent and $1.1 million
Meineke Bowl: ACC opponent and $1 million

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - PirateMarv - 08-21-2009 11:19 PM

(08-21-2009 10:23 PM)Bearcat 1984 Wrote:  History aside, El Paso is a hole. I've been there. I lived nearby...

Nearby? Alright I have been through El Paso a few times and I am not trying to be mean, but what is nearby? Juarez, Mexico? Because other than that, all that I saw was the New Mexico State line.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - SF Husky - 08-21-2009 11:24 PM

I been to El Paso once. All I got to say is I am glad I don't live there. Seriously, Bearcat 1984 is right that both Holiday and Emerald would be much better destinations. San Diego is an awesome city. SF is the BEST city in the USA. One of these days they will establish a big bowl in the Bay Area. Stanford just rebuilt their stadium and CAL is on their way. In the next few years, SF 49ers will get a brand new NFL stadium as well. I am sure there will be a big bowl here someday other than Emerald.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - Native Georgian - 08-22-2009 12:01 AM

(08-21-2009 11:19 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  Nearby? Alright I have been through El Paso a few times and I am not trying to be mean, but what is nearby? Juarez, Mexico? Because other than that, all that I saw was the New Mexico State line.
He may have been talking about Fort Bliss.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - Wilkie01 - 08-22-2009 07:19 AM

Fort Bliss is a hell hole of a post!

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - CatsClaw - 08-22-2009 07:25 AM

I think goodknight is right, we'll be fine. But I REALLY would like for the Big East to get the Sun Bowl for our #3 slot. I'm guessing that the Sun Bowl is holding out for the Big East to add Notre Dame twice or for the Sun Bowl to get early dibs at Notre Dame. I wonder what bowls are calling about our #3 spot though? It goes to show that we don't need the Liberty Bowl right now, or unnecessary expansion. I'm also pleased to see that the Big East is looking to significantly improve our 4 to 6 slots.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - TIGER-PAUL - 08-22-2009 07:26 AM

problem with independence is not gauranteed sec/b12 will always have a team right now.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - Cubanbull - 08-22-2009 07:26 AM

I think Sun Bowl is gone. But I think BE could get Music Bowl for our #3 vs SEC

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - Garmuck - 08-22-2009 07:30 AM

(08-22-2009 07:26 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  I think Sun Bowl is gone. But I think BE could get Music Bowl for our #3 vs SEC

What # SEC team would we face and could you give me a general idea of recent match ups? Either way playing an SEC team would be awesome and a top priority in my mind.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - CatsClaw - 08-22-2009 07:33 AM

(08-22-2009 07:26 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  I think Sun Bowl is gone. But I think BE could get Music Bowl for our #3 vs SEC

I'd take it as long as the payout is in the 2 million dollar range and we're guaranteed a slot against a Top 6 SEC squad.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - Cubanbull - 08-22-2009 07:39 AM

Right now
Music pays 1.7 mill
Meineke pays 1.0 mill
the Sun paid 1.9 mill

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - Native Georgian - 08-22-2009 07:45 AM

(08-22-2009 07:30 AM)Garmuck Wrote:  What # SEC team would we face and could you give me a general idea of recent match ups? Either way playing an SEC team would be awesome and a top priority in my mind.
2005 = SEC did not have enough eligible teams and so Virginia (6-5, 3-5 in ACC) took the SEC's slot
2006 = Kentucky (7-5, 4-4 in SEC)
2007 = Kentucky (7-5, 3-5 in SEC)
2008 = Vanderbilt (6-6, 4-4 in SEC)

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - panite - 08-22-2009 07:45 AM

(08-22-2009 07:26 AM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  problem with independence is not gauranteed sec/b12 will always have a team right now.

SEC hasn't shown up at that cheap paying PaPa Johns Bowl either and they are listed as the oppossing conference. Better to not play the SEC in the Independence for 1.1 miilion then to not play them in PJ Bowl for 300k because they don't have enough bowl eligible teams to cover their contracted bowls.

07-coffee3

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - TIGER-PAUL - 08-22-2009 07:49 AM

agree, its an upgrade over pizza, but below music or emerald for BE, imo.

RE: Latest Update on the Bowl Situation - quo vadis - 08-22-2009 08:49 AM

(08-22-2009 07:49 AM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  agree, its an upgrade over pizza, but below music or emerald for BE, imo.

Yes, but really, comparing the relative merits of pizzy, indy, and emerald bowls is splitting hairs. They are all low-level marginal bowls.

FWIW, of those three, i'd see the independence is best. It's the oldest and most well-known, and it pays marginally the most money.

Pizza and St Pete are arguably the worst bowls out there, toilet bowls really.