CSNbbs
ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal (/thread-382211.html)

Pages: 1 2

ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - BullsFanInTX - 08-18-2009 05:44 PM

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/breaking-news/story/1191525.html

HARTFORD, Conn. -- The Big East announced a four-year agreement Tuesday that will give the Champs Sports Bowl the choice of any conference team not headed to a Bowl Championship Series game.

But under the deal, the conference runner-up may have to step aside in favor of Notre Dame once during those four years.

The Big East's No. 2 had gone to the Gator or Sun Bowls under an arrangement that also involved Notre Dame as well as the Big 12. That agreement ends after this season.

The new deal allows the Champs Sports Bowl to pick Notre Dame over a Big East team once, if the Fighting Irish's record is at least 7-5 and within two wins of the Big East's No. 2 school, said Steve Hogan, the chief executive of Florida Citrus Sports, which runs the bowl.

That means a 9-3 Big East team could lose its spot in the bowl to a 7-5 Notre Dame squad.

Big East Commissioner John Marinatto defended the arrangement as good for both the conference and Notre Dame, which is a Big East member in other sports.

"We provide them with the opportunity to get to a bowl like the Champs Sports Bowl and they provide us with the opportunity to upgrade to a bowl like the Champs Sports Bowl," he said.

Hogan said the bowl did not require that the Big East include Notre Dame in the deal.

"You could fairly say that a Big East deal would have been done if Notre Dame wasn't part of the package, but the fact that they are makes it that much more attractive," he said

Notre Dame has been part of the Big East bowl package since 1998, when it became clear that all the bowls were making conference tie-ins, said John Heisler, Notre Dame's senior associate athletic director. The Irish have taken the Gator Bowl spot just twice since then, he said.

"As this evolved, for us it was a BCS-or-bust type situation," he said. "So this kind of became something that seemed to make sense based on our relationship with the Big East, and it's now been added to by some scheduling opportunities between us and Big East schools."

The Big East champion goes to a BCS Bowl. The runner-up this season will head to the Gator Bowl. The league also has tie-ins this season to the Meineke Bowl, International Bowl, Papajohns.com Bowl and St. Petersburg Bowl.

The league has not announced any other deals for next season, but Marinatto said talks with the Sun Bowl and others are ongoing, and he expects more announcements soon.

The Champs Sports Bowl will be played either Dec. 27, 28 or 29, 2010, and will pay each participant about $2.5 million.

Hogan said the Big East's opponent has not been determined, but the bowl remains in talks with the ACC, which had previously played a Big 10 opponent in the game.

"We remain in discussions on that side of the ball, along with several other conferences," he said. "I'm hopeful that we can close out that side of our game in the next week to 10 days."

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - USFMike - 08-18-2009 05:50 PM

(08-18-2009 05:44 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/breaking-news/story/1191525.html

HARTFORD, Conn. -- The Big East announced a four-year agreement Tuesday that will give the Champs Sports Bowl the choice of any conference team not headed to a Bowl Championship Series game.

But under the deal, the conference runner-up may have to step aside in favor of Notre Dame once during those four years.

The Big East's No. 2 had gone to the Gator or Sun Bowls under an arrangement that also involved Notre Dame as well as the Big 12. That agreement ends after this season.

The new deal allows the Champs Sports Bowl to pick Notre Dame over a Big East team once, if the Fighting Irish's record is at least 7-5 and within two wins of the Big East's No. 2 school, said Steve Hogan, the chief executive of Florida Citrus Sports, which runs the bowl.

That means a 9-3 Big East team could lose its spot in the bowl to a 7-5 Notre Dame squad.

Big East Commissioner John Marinatto defended the arrangement as good for both the conference and Notre Dame, which is a Big East member in other sports.

"We provide them with the opportunity to get to a bowl like the Champs Sports Bowl and they provide us with the opportunity to upgrade to a bowl like the Champs Sports Bowl," he said.

Hogan said the bowl did not require that the Big East include Notre Dame in the deal.

"You could fairly say that a Big East deal would have been done if Notre Dame wasn't part of the package, but the fact that they are makes it that much more attractive," he said

Notre Dame has been part of the Big East bowl package since 1998, when it became clear that all the bowls were making conference tie-ins, said John Heisler, Notre Dame's senior associate athletic director. The Irish have taken the Gator Bowl spot just twice since then, he said.

"As this evolved, for us it was a BCS-or-bust type situation," he said. "So this kind of became something that seemed to make sense based on our relationship with the Big East, and it's now been added to by some scheduling opportunities between us and Big East schools."

The Big East champion goes to a BCS Bowl. The runner-up this season will head to the Gator Bowl. The league also has tie-ins this season to the Meineke Bowl, International Bowl, Papajohns.com Bowl and St. Petersburg Bowl.

The league has not announced any other deals for next season, but Marinatto said talks with the Sun Bowl and others are ongoing, and he expects more announcements soon.

The Champs Sports Bowl will be played either Dec. 27, 28 or 29, 2010, and will pay each participant about $2.5 million.

Hogan said the Big East's opponent has not been determined, but the bowl remains in talks with the ACC, which had previously played a Big 10 opponent in the game.

"We remain in discussions on that side of the ball, along with several other conferences," he said. "I'm hopeful that we can close out that side of our game in the next week to 10 days."

hmm call me a little skeptical, but i believe by the next cycle this won't be so hard to believe.

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - SO#1 - 08-18-2009 06:01 PM

I can’t wait to hear what he will say when a 9-3 BE team lose their spot to 7-5 ND team.

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - panite - 08-18-2009 06:29 PM

(08-18-2009 06:01 PM)SO#1 Wrote:  I can’t wait to hear what he will say when a 9-3 BE team lose their spot to 7-5 ND team.

Especially after Navy, Pitt, and UConn pound them 3 weeks in a row. Pitt and UConn end up 9 and 3, and, 7and 5 ND gets the bowl bid for the Champs.

04-jawdrop 02-13-banana 03-nutkick 03-melodramatic 03-shhhh 05-stirthepot 04-cheers

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - templefootballfan - 08-18-2009 06:36 PM

something does not make sence here If your a bowl dealing with BE,
availablity of ND has to be 1st ?

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - Cubanbull - 08-18-2009 06:40 PM

I think you guys have to understand that we will probably end up with BOTH Champs and Sun. I think is fairly certain that had ND not been in the picture we`probably would have landed Champs but not BOTH. So If you are going to offer Sun ND once they probably thought lets also offered to Champs. I think what this shows is that our league no matter what others`say is growing in the Bowls eyes and we can do even better next time around. Im not upset ar giving Champs 1/4 at ND as long as the Irish bring in an EXTRA bowl which in this case it looks like they are.

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - Jackson1011 - 08-18-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:I think you guys have to understand that we will probably end up with BOTH Champs and Sun. I think is fairly certain that had ND not been in the picture we`probably would have landed Champs but not BOTH. So If you are going to offer Sun ND once they probably thought lets also offered to Champs. I think what this shows is that our league no matter what others`say is growing in the Bowls eyes and we can do even better next time around. Im not upset ar giving Champs 1/4 at ND as long as the Irish bring in an EXTRA bowl which in this case it looks like they are.

+1...exactly right

Jackson

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - WacoBearcat - 08-18-2009 07:09 PM

(08-18-2009 06:40 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  I think you guys have to understand that we will probably end up with BOTH Champs and Sun. I think is fairly certain that had ND not been in the picture we`probably would have landed Champs but not BOTH. So If you are going to offer Sun ND once they probably thought lets also offered to Champs. I think what this shows is that our league no matter what others`say is growing in the Bowls eyes and we can do even better next time around. Im not upset ar giving Champs 1/4 at ND as long as the Irish bring in an EXTRA bowl which in this case it looks like they are.

All of a sudden, it looks like the Big East has multiple bowl opportunities for Big East's 5-6. I don't think Papa Johns will be able to hold onto to the Big East. It looks like we have at least four opportunities for two spots.

1. BCS
2. Champs
3. Sun
4. Meineke
5-6. International, Independence, St. Pete, Papa Johns

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - templefootballfan - 08-18-2009 08:57 PM

in the last 3 yrs with 12 game sch, BE has had 6 bowl eligable.
with ND, BE needs 7 bowl tie-ins

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - TIGER-PAUL - 08-18-2009 09:01 PM

I think 6 is enough, but if 7 are asking, why not?

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - WacoBearcat - 08-18-2009 09:26 PM

(08-18-2009 09:01 PM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  I think 6 is enough, but if 7 are asking, why not?

Yes, let's go to 7 bowls!! On second thought, how about 8 bowls for 9 schools?

04-cheers 04-cheers

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - bitcruncher - 08-18-2009 09:41 PM

Better yet, how about 8 bowls for 8 teams...

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - BullsFanInTX - 08-18-2009 10:00 PM

You definitely need 7 bowls in the year ND takes one, and it wouldn't hurt to have either 7 tie ins, or 6 and a backup.

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - SuperFlyBCat - 08-19-2009 06:08 AM

Some of the other conferences, that have 6-6 teams, and can't place a team in an arranged bowl game this happens more than people realize. The bowl has to go to another conference to get a team. Just another option.

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - ClairtonPanther - 08-19-2009 06:17 AM

When will the Car Care will be official? I was hearing that they are not too happy with being dropped to #4.

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - SF Husky - 08-19-2009 06:28 AM

(08-19-2009 06:17 AM)animus Wrote:  When will the Car Care will be official? I was hearing that they are not too happy with being dropped to #4.

Car Care Bowl can complain all they want. If they want to get a better BE team, then they need to raise the payout. $1M will not cut it. They need it o raise to over $2M if they want to jump the SUN.

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - Cubanbull - 08-19-2009 06:35 AM

(08-19-2009 06:17 AM)animus Wrote:  When will the Car Care will be official? I was hearing that they are not too happy with being dropped to #4.

I would say around the same time they announce Sun Bowl deal. I think you can sweeten it for the Meineke people by letting them choose ND once also. They might not be happy about it but realistically because of geography and payment they are stuck.
Their only other realistic option is CUSA and other than ECU or Marshall there is not a school around that could come up with numbers to make them give up a shot at ND, WV,UL,RU and lose the BCS-BCS tag.
I think you can work with Tire and Sun because remember Sun wants highest ranked team and Tire wants best traveling one. So in many cases the #3 team might not be the best traveling one.

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - MichaelSavage - 08-19-2009 06:45 AM

Is there really a big difference between the Big East #3 & #4? The Car Care Bowl probably won't care. They'd love to have WVU, but they'd be happy with UConn, UC, Rutgers or Louisville.

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - goodknightfl - 08-19-2009 06:48 AM

I imagine charlotte won't be very happy.. but they don't have many options avail. Maybe a big 12 #6 or something. I would argue a big 12 #6= a BE4. but then there are travel issues.

RE: ND did NOT have to be a part of Champs deal - ClairtonPanther - 08-19-2009 08:42 AM

Take this with a grain of salt but I was hearing that the ACC just might sneak their pesky arses into the Sun. Not sure what they can offer more than the Big East #3 pick though. Stay tuned.