CSNbbs
Lets talk Football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Proving Grounds (/forum-768.html)
+--- Forum: BigSouthbbs (/forum-12.html)
+---- Forum: Big South - North Division (/forum-786.html)
+----- Forum: Campbell (/forum-325.html)
+----- Thread: Lets talk Football (/thread-379657.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Lets talk Football - CU97 - 07-31-2009 10:00 AM

so how many wins does everyone think the camels will garner this year? im thinking(optimisically) wins against BSC, Methodist and MAYBE ODU or Valpo.

RE: Lets talk Football - camelfan - 07-31-2009 01:51 PM

(07-31-2009 10:00 AM)CU97 Wrote:  so how many wins does everyone think the camels will garner this year? im thinking(optimisically) wins against BSC, Methodist and MAYBE ODU or Valpo.

I think we should win against Methodist and BSC. So two wins for the year. We have a chance against Valpo. Maybe three.

I don't think we will win any other games in 2009.

ODU is scholarship. They would beat half the teams in the Pioneer League first year program or not.

RE: Lets talk Football - CU97 - 07-31-2009 02:49 PM

your right. just wishful thinking. first scholarship fcs game away will be tough.

RE: Lets talk Football - Camel76 - 08-01-2009 12:22 AM

Realistically one maybe outside chance of two. Methodist or BSC are the only hopes.

RE: Lets talk Football - camels7778 - 08-02-2009 04:56 PM

I am realistic. I think getting two would be great. BSC and Methodist would be the two I have hope for. I would love to see us beat a PFL opponent but at this point it might be a stretch. I think the ODU game may end up being the ugliest game of the season and has the making of a blood bath with the athletes that ODU is going to put together with scholarships.

RE: Lets talk Football - camelfan - 08-04-2009 10:42 PM

(08-02-2009 04:56 PM)camels7778 Wrote:  I am realistic. I think getting two would be great. BSC and Methodist would be the two I have hope for. I would love to see us beat a PFL opponent but at this point it might be a stretch. I think the ODU game may end up being the ugliest game of the season and has the making of a blood bath with the athletes that ODU is going to put together with scholarships.

I agree. I don't think we are ready for a scholarship football team even if it is their first year. I think we would have been better served to have scheduled another locat Div III or Div II game for that slot. We have to be farily successful in the PFL before we would be ready to make that step. It could be really ugly not to mention how many injuries we will have that will hurt us the rest of the season.

RE: Lets talk Football - Camel76 - 08-05-2009 05:20 PM

(08-04-2009 10:42 PM)camelfan Wrote:  
(08-02-2009 04:56 PM)camels7778 Wrote:  I am realistic. I think getting two would be great. BSC and Methodist would be the two I have hope for. I would love to see us beat a PFL opponent but at this point it might be a stretch. I think the ODU game may end up being the ugliest game of the season and has the making of a blood bath with the athletes that ODU is going to put together with scholarships.

I agree. I don't think we are ready for a scholarship football team even if it is their first year. I think we would have been better served to have scheduled another locat Div III or Div II game for that slot. We have to be farily successful in the PFL before we would be ready to make that step. It could be really ugly not to mention how many injuries we will have that will hurt us the rest of the season.

RE: Lets talk Football - Camel76 - 08-05-2009 05:23 PM

not much change from last year. Steele has done a good job of putting a team together over the past 3 years but it's going to take a head coach and staff that has experience winning college football games if you have any hope of CU competing in the PFL

RE: Lets talk Football - camels7778 - 08-14-2009 08:09 AM

Did anyone catch Coach Steele on the radio yesterday? I caught a bit and for a guy that only won a game last year he certainly is very excited for the season. I like to see that. Even if you aren't going to win much you need a coach that is going to have the same enthusiasm in the second year as he had in the first at least to keep player morale up.

RE: Lets talk Football - CU97 - 08-14-2009 09:36 AM

yes i listened to the whole thing. very hoarse, i could hardly understand him. i appreciate his enthusiasm, now hopefully the season ticket holders, students and community retain that same enthusiasm. We had almost 6k at the BSC game last yr. I really hope we have at least that much or more for the first home game with methodist. that would help morale stay high for the program. got my season tickets early this week. cant wait.[/align]

RE: Lets talk Football - OrangeCamel - 08-14-2009 11:44 AM

The interview can be found on this link (at least for awhile)....

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_football/

RE: Lets talk Football - Camel76 - 08-15-2009 10:42 PM

(08-14-2009 09:36 AM)CU97 Wrote:  yes i listened to the whole thing. very hoarse, i could hardly understand him. i appreciate his enthusiasm, now hopefully the season ticket holders, students and community retain that same enthusiasm. We had almost 6k at the BSC game last yr. I really hope we have at least that much or more for the first home game with methodist. that would help morale stay high for the program. got my season tickets early this week. cant wait.[/align]
The only thing thats going to keep morale up is winning and that's not going to happen anytime soon especially with Steele at the helm. You'll never see 6,000 at Barker Lane Stadium again until winning occurs.

RE: Lets talk Football - camelfan - 08-17-2009 07:27 PM

I think installing lights and playing at night rather than in 100 degree heat would also help attendance.

RE: Lets talk Football - camels7778 - 08-17-2009 10:41 PM

I think the first two games are winnable. If the team loses one or both of those games it could be a very long season but a win over Methodist and BSC will mean a better season than the first year.

RE: Lets talk Football - Camel76 - 08-17-2009 11:00 PM

I think the first two games are not out of the question, but honestly, everyone else gets better too. I think one win at the most 2 and if that occurs don't get your hopes up, they're 2 d-3 teams. The PFL games are out of the question and ODU may be their 1st year but they're scholarship players and it could get ugly.

RE: Lets talk Football - camels7778 - 08-17-2009 11:11 PM

I agree about ODU. That is going to get ugly in a hurry. For anyone that is making the trip I would get to ODU within the first few minutes of kickoff because after that is as close as Campbell will get in an ugly game. I know 2 D-III wins are not great but I think we need to start somewhere even if it just being a better D-III team than the team was in the first year.

RE: Lets talk Football - camelfan - 08-18-2009 04:48 PM

We would be very competetive at Div III or Div II. It is going to be a while before that is the case in Div I. I hope I am wrong and we have a great season. I am trying to be realistic here.

I think we need to win the first two games. If we do and get some momentum - who knows about the others. We may not win them but we need to make more respectable showings than last year. Maybe one conference win - just one - Valpo is my pick for us to win. We could beat those guys on a given day.

RE: Lets talk Football - Camel76 - 08-19-2009 12:06 AM

(08-17-2009 11:11 PM)camels7778 Wrote:  I agree about ODU. That is going to get ugly in a hurry. For anyone that is making the trip I would get to ODU within the first few minutes of kickoff because after that is as close as Campbell will get in an ugly game. I know 2 D-III wins are not great but I think we need to start somewhere even if it just being a better D-III team than the team was in the first year,
The team "started" 3 years ago. With the right coaching staff there is no reason CU shouldn't win 4-5 games this year but it's not going to happen. Alot of water has passed under the bridge in the past 2 years.

RE: Lets talk Football - camels7778 - 08-19-2009 06:14 PM

I'm sorry but I still think a year of not playing with no scholarships doesn't count. I think if we had scholarships to hand out at that point then maybe otherwise you are basically starting from scratch last year with 50 something freshman on the roster that were only playing high school football the year before.

I think the coaching staff could have been better but they like the players were just learning. It is not like Campbell ever has been a hot bed of successful sports at any point before and I think you need to take what you can get on the sidelines/booth unless you are willing to overpay for highly qualified staff (which based on what I have heard from those working in the athletic department is not the case) especially when you are starting a team new. The only people that you can get to fill out a staff at lower rates is those lacking experience and knowledge. Let's face it while fine institution and quality education Campbell's athletic programs have always be just a stepping stone one for coaches in need of experience and that is the exact sort of staffing you are going to get for teams. Sometimes you hit on a good one and they aren't here long but often times it is just experienced gained sometimes the hard way in the form of losses.

RE: Lets talk Football - Camel76 - 08-19-2009 08:53 PM

I think Campbell could have done better getting a head coach that had head coach expereince and who had actually won some college football games. I'm not talking about getting a D-1 coach. Look at Pembroke State. Sure they have 30 schollys, but they got a coach from a dII or III program from California that had head coaching experience on the level Campbell ois playing. Went 9-1 his second year at Pembroke State. Pembroke State beat PFL Davidson and PFL Champion Jacksonville in just their second year of competition. It was the head coaching that made the difference. Now I ask you seriously who do you think is making more money, a head coach at Campbell or a head coach at Pembroke State. CU could have done better.Steele wasn't a 53 or 54 year old D-1 wannabe that long for nothing. Get a coach thats real for your program, and not one full of himself and dreams.