CSNbbs
2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois Archives (/forum-792.html)
+----- Thread: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST (/thread-351368.html)

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - BrianNowicki - 02-04-2010 10:42 PM

(02-04-2010 09:57 PM)NIU010 Wrote:  
(02-04-2010 04:45 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  hard to put anyone ahead of Toledo, but Temple did well. Surprised Kent State got up so high.

I don't think anyone mentioned this (and I thought about mentioning this when LSU snagged Armand), but did you guys see that Temple lost one of their commits to Florida? A two-star, no less. It's insane to think about...we'd be talking about this for weeks if that happened, if not months or years. I only bring this up since we're talking about all the MAC teams now. Look at Florida's signing list, and among the forest of 4 and 5 stars is Tyler Murphy.

Toledo lost a 2 star Scout/3 star Rivals QB to Notre Dame. Derek Roback was his name. He was committed to Toledo since summer. Brian Kelly offered him when he was at Cincy, but Roback decided to stick with Toledo. Then after going to Notre Dame, Kelly offered Roback there and he visited ND last weekend and switched his commitment to Notre Dame on Sunday.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - NIU010 - 02-04-2010 11:25 PM

(02-04-2010 10:42 PM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  
(02-04-2010 09:57 PM)NIU010 Wrote:  
(02-04-2010 04:45 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  hard to put anyone ahead of Toledo, but Temple did well. Surprised Kent State got up so high.

I don't think anyone mentioned this (and I thought about mentioning this when LSU snagged Armand), but did you guys see that Temple lost one of their commits to Florida? A two-star, no less. It's insane to think about...we'd be talking about this for weeks if that happened, if not months or years. I only bring this up since we're talking about all the MAC teams now. Look at Florida's signing list, and among the forest of 4 and 5 stars is Tyler Murphy.

Toledo lost a 2 star Scout/3 star Rivals QB to Notre Dame. Derek Roback was his name. He was committed to Toledo since summer. Brian Kelly offered him when he was at Cincy, but Roback decided to stick with Toledo. Then after going to Notre Dame, Kelly offered Roback there and he visited ND last weekend and switched his commitment to Notre Dame on Sunday.

Notre Dame's certainly a big name and it sucks to lose Roback, but Brian Kelly was trying to fill the last few pieces of his first class these past couple of weekends (they offered and obviously landed a kid who previously had ZERO offers...when was the last time you saw that out of ND?)

Florida on the other hand, has been on a recruiting roll with Urban Meyer, even with his much-publicized health concerns that came out in January. All they've done the past 4 years is collect blue chips at every skill position, and then they go and grab a two-star from the Owls. Not that Urban gives a crap, but it cost them some ratings points on the fancy rivals scale. It's a story with a MAC tie that's received very little play.

Back to NIU... even though it hurts to see us lose these kids to the BCS schools in the 11th hour every year, it shows that our guys are doing a helluva a job finding talent and we've hopefully held onto hidden gems that others didn't see (Pitt? Eakes?). I can't wait to see who Kill and company dig up before the big boys this year. The cycle begins anew, Feb 2nd, 2011 is closer than we think.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - BrianNowicki - 02-04-2010 11:33 PM

Kelly has made a living on recruiting the diamond in the rough, no name kids. He did it at CMU and those were his recruits that won 3 MAC titles in the last four years, and he did that at Cincinnati and brought them to a #3 in the country ranking and a BCS bowl game. He thinks he can do it at ND too........I'm not sold on it though.

Of course Roback was only so lowly rated because he was committed to Toledo since the summer. He was ranked the 4th best QB in the state of Ohio this year, and Ohio recruiting analysts told me that he was only the 4th best because he didn't attend many of the combines to get ranked higher. The sad thing is that I think he's likely to play TE at Notre Dame, instead of QB.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - BrianNowicki - 02-04-2010 11:34 PM

(02-04-2010 11:25 PM)NIU010 Wrote:  Back to NIU... even though it hurts to see us lose these kids to the BCS schools in the 11th hour every year, it shows that our guys are doing a helluva a job finding talent and we've hopefully held onto hidden gems that others didn't see (Pitt? Eakes?).

I totally agree. Losing commits to BCS schools shows that your coaching staff is spotting some great talent that those BCS coaches didn't see until they noticed you were so high on them.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - warriorfan - 02-05-2010 04:42 PM

(02-03-2010 01:43 PM)thetachihuskie Wrote:  Tyler Anderson P/K from Rockford Guilford is a last minute addition. I see him as a punter and back up FG kicker. Two kickers in the same class.

NIU did very well siging Anderson at Punter and Sims at Kicker in same class. Scout has both at 2 stars, but these guys are better than that. Not sure how they do under pressure or dealing with weather conditions, but should be solid to very good eventually.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - RitzHuskie - 02-05-2010 04:56 PM

(02-05-2010 04:42 PM)warriorfan Wrote:  
(02-03-2010 01:43 PM)thetachihuskie Wrote:  Tyler Anderson P/K from Rockford Guilford is a last minute addition. I see him as a punter and back up FG kicker. Two kickers in the same class.

NIU did very well siging Anderson at Punter and Sims at Kicker in same class. Scout has both at 2 stars, but these guys are better than that. Not sure how they do under pressure or dealing with weather conditions, but should be solid to very good eventually.

Warriorfan what is Scott Kuehn's status? Does he intend to walk on?

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - Huskie359 - 02-05-2010 10:24 PM

(02-05-2010 06:27 PM)warriorfan Wrote:  
(02-05-2010 06:23 PM)warriorfan Wrote:  
(02-05-2010 04:56 PM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  
(02-05-2010 04:42 PM)warriorfan Wrote:  

Warriorfan what is Scott Kuehn's status? Does he intend to walk on?

No idea. According to an asst coach, Fleck offered preferred walk-on a while ago, but nothing happened with that.

BTW, I went to Waubonsie vs Downers playoff game .. Kuehn was used as decoy all game (not one ball thrown to him), while Downers came out throwing the first 5 balls to their top WR Jozaites. I also saw opener against Naperville Central on TV (comcast game of week) .. same thing happened until late 4th quarter that game. After a couple of tough catches late in game, Comcast announcers wondered out loud why Kuehn did not see the ball earlier in game .. he was featured in pre-game as the player to watch. From what I understand, this happened on and off all season. Hard to imagine not going to your best offensive weapon in big games.

Not sure what his plans are right now, but I saw an article saying he wants to walk on at SIU. With drop from 61 catches to 32 catches, my guess is colleges assume his record setting junior year when he made All State Special Mention was a fluke. But there was change in QB and system from pocket QB to option QB. I saw his highlight reels on youtube .. it was no fluke, watch how many off balance catches he makes his senior year compared to junior year .. demonstrated incredible hands and catch radius. Plus he kicked and punted full time .. great 70 yd kickoff range from looking at his highlights. He just didn't get much of an opportunity at WR his senior year after change in QB and system.

I'll check in and see what plans he has.

Typo .. article said he wanted to walk on at ISU, not SIU

The beacon news had an article, which stated he was walking on @ ISU as well.
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/sports/highschools/2029020,2_2_AU04_SIGNING_S2-100204.article

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - rabidawg900 - 02-06-2010 04:37 PM

Where the players went:

DT Pat McNeil (teammate of Jimmie Hunt) - MTSU
LB Jarael Watson - Marshall
OT Fabians Ebelle - Arizona

???

CB Kweku Arkorful
RB James Gillum
TE Jamarquis Reeves
S Teandric Slocum

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - NIU1981 - 02-06-2010 07:03 PM

Arkorful went to Southeast Missouri State. I haven't been able to find anything on those other guys. They may be going the JC route. Sometimes they fall off the face of the earth like Fritz Rock last year. I coudn't even find him in JC listings.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - NIU1981 - 02-07-2010 10:45 AM

Today's Sun Times says we signed LB Darrell Shepherd of Evanston. I assume he's a walkon:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/edgytim/football/recruiting/player-Darrell-Shepherd-96817

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4383558

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - thetachihuskie - 02-07-2010 12:41 PM

I looked him up on scout under Huskie Pride and saw 3 offers: Toledo, Illinois, and Illinois State. He looks like a nice pickup. There was also an article about the offers on Jan. 7, 2010.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - HuskiePride12 - 02-07-2010 01:23 PM

Another LB, I think were set for the next 5 years

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - NIU1981 - 02-07-2010 01:35 PM

(02-07-2010 12:41 PM)thetachihuskie Wrote:  I looked him up on scout under Huskie Pride and saw 3 offers: Toledo, Illinois, and Illinois State. He looks like a nice pickup. There was also an article about the offers on Jan. 7, 2010.

There's a highlight video embedded in the Scout article and you can see this kid has a heck of a motor. Very impressive player.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - thxjoenovak - 02-07-2010 02:15 PM

(02-07-2010 01:35 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  
(02-07-2010 12:41 PM)thetachihuskie Wrote:  I looked him up on scout under Huskie Pride and saw 3 offers: Toledo, Illinois, and Illinois State. He looks like a nice pickup. There was also an article about the offers on Jan. 7, 2010.

There's a highlight video embedded in the Scout article and you can see this kid has a heck of a motor. Very impressive player.

Maybe play a 3-4 in the future......03-idea

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - BrianNowicki - 02-08-2010 10:31 AM

I've never heard of him. The January 7th article states that the offers are from a year and a half ago. If he ever did get them, they must not have been valid anymore because I don't really think someone would pass up a full ride, especially to a Big Ten school, to pay his way at a MAC school.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - NIU05 - 02-08-2010 12:01 PM

(02-07-2010 10:45 AM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Today's Sun Times says we signed LB Darrell Shepherd of Evanston. I assume he's a walkon:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/edgytim/football/recruiting/player-Darrell-Shepherd-96817

Glad we finally have a foot print @ Evanston HS. They produce JOCKS. Two other players off EHS signed, the DT Brown went to Miami (FL) and an OT 6'7 signed with Tulane.

Welcome aboard Darrell Shepherd!

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - HuskiePride#1 - 02-25-2010 07:52 PM

Remember all the fuss over Waubonsie Valley's Scott Kuehn? Well, he's headed to Illinois State as a preferred walk-on.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - warriorfan - 02-26-2010 06:18 PM

(02-25-2010 07:52 PM)HuskiePride#1 Wrote:  Remember all the fuss over Waubonsie Valley's Scott Kuehn? Well, he's headed to Illinois State as a preferred walk-on.

I heard same and that he has turned down several scholarships and ignored a lot of interest with strong programs at NAIA and D-II levels. According to an article, WV Coach Murphy said Fleck was very interested, but only offered preferred walk-on. My guess is Kuehn liked ISU spread vs NIU run-oriented attack. Hard to predict what happens at next level, but this is an incredibly determined kid.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - NIU1981 - 04-14-2010 03:49 PM

(02-07-2010 10:45 AM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Today's Sun Times says we signed LB Darrell Shepherd of Evanston. I assume he's a walkon:

FWIW, this web site says Shepherd was signed to a "full football scholarship": http://www.jrwildkits.com/ (see National Signing Day, lower right of page). Just curious, anyone know if he's full scholly or walkon or grayshirt?

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - NIUHuskie4life - 04-20-2010 12:10 PM

two questions....did that one kid playing WR from wisconsin that was going to play baseball and football here end up signing with us? don't see him on the roster; and does anybody know if that one db jimmy ward from alabama ended up signing too?