CSNbbs
2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois Archives (/forum-792.html)
+----- Thread: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST (/thread-351368.html)

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - epasnoopy - 11-04-2009 08:24 PM

(11-04-2009 05:46 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  I have a feeling that Jeff Garrett might change his mind after the Ball St. game, combined with Ball St. having 5 committed CB to the school. I don't see how they could have told all those CB they will have playing time instantly. So who knows what made him decommit from us.

Heres the link of Ball St. commits. http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&toinid=715&yr=2010

I doubt he changes his mind. He already knows Ball State is bad and that we should beat them yet he changed his mind. It sounds like he was never sure he wanted to go to NIU.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - prairiedawg - 11-04-2009 08:37 PM

(11-04-2009 08:24 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  
(11-04-2009 05:46 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  I have a feeling that Jeff Garrett might change his mind after the Ball St. game, combined with Ball St. having 5 committed CB to the school. I don't see how they could have told all those CB they will have playing time instantly. So who knows what made him decommit from us.

Heres the link of Ball St. commits. http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&toinid=715&yr=2010

I doubt he changes his mind. He already knows Ball State is bad and that we should beat them yet he changed his mind. It sounds like he was never sure he wanted to go to NIU.

Good luck to the kid.... big deal, he changed his mind...kids do that b/c it is a big decision. He has his reasons. I have never seen him play but he must be pretty good to get a few offers and 3 stars by scout.com.

I must say his measurables are less than impressive tho:
Ht: 5-9 Wt: 165 40: 4.58

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 11-05-2009 08:15 AM

(11-04-2009 07:50 PM)NIUHuskies86 Wrote:  
(11-04-2009 04:36 PM)TheNEWguy Wrote:  
(11-04-2009 01:02 AM)NIUHuskies86 Wrote:  
(11-03-2009 03:32 PM)TheNEWguy Wrote:  What makes me most nervous about the list of guys we can grab is that we lost the monopoly that Joe Novak built in local recruiting.

After the BCS schools we generally had first choice of whoever we wanted! Remember when we grabbed Brown, Moore, and Rice I believe away from BSU? That was great.

But it won't ever happen under Kill.

We should never have lost the 3 kids from Crete to other schools - that is unacceptable if you aren't getting kids from out of state (which at this point we aren't.)

I guess it's sad to see something Joe and coach Sabock took years to build destroyed in 2 sub-par recruiting classes.

The two best players in the conference are Chicago area kids on Central Michigan and Bowling Green, and the best player on NIU is a walk on from Indianapolis, so that monopoly isn't doing us a great deal of good right now.
Who cares where the players are from if they can play? And what evidence do we have to support the idea that the last two recruiting classes are sub par? It's too early to judge either of them, and one was tiny anyways.

You're right.

Larry English sucked...local players are worthless. We should have grabbed some Florida kid like Coon...oh wait we did?

How many sacks does he have this year?

What?

He's not on the roster?

No way.

Local Kids - 1
Kill Kids - 0

I don't even know how to respond to this. There is no actual information in it, just rubbish. It's hard to counter an argument when no argument is even being made.

Because you just posted baloney - i responded with baloney.

You didn't post any stats or anything. You just said the conferences 2 best players (in your mind) are local kids Novak didn't grab. I'm not sure we offered Dan L. So your argument was lame because you listed 2 QBs (Remember fast Freddy wanted to be a QB) and Novak clearly thought he was set at QB - which he wasn't but it was OK to think that.

So your whole argument was based around Novak not offering 1 QB (DAN) and not offering one QB as a QB (Fast Freddy...he had an offer from us as a WR...).

Explain how that shows our Illinois Monopoly didn't work? It shows that no matter where you recruit you can make a mistake on whom you pass on...weird how that happens with 18 year old kids.

And it also shows that when given first choice of guys, if you take one and pass on another you'll look worse than you would if you were a poacher.

So your argument was baloney. Other than an opinion that was not only wrong, but made you look bad for typing it. I feel bad for you even, that was ugly.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 11-05-2009 08:24 AM

(11-04-2009 05:20 PM)rabidawg900 Wrote:  I think you guys are a little delusional about our recruiting focus.

Both Limegrover and Phelps are strongly recruiting the greater Chicago area incl Wisconsin/Indiana. So is Fleck. That's 2 holdovers from the previous regime right there.

Coach Tuke & Reeves recruit the Florida area heavily.

Jay Sawvel recruits Louisiana and a little of Florida.

We're not diluting the Chicago recruiting by exploring other areas of potential talent. It's just broadening our base.

I think you're missing the point. Not that it surprises me...

The point of this whole debate is that when you offer, and wait on, a kid from the south who ends up going elsewhere - you pass on a young man from our area that would be more likely to end up here.

We recruit LA...and you know what we've gotten out of LA? Ron Walker...very late and he had no other offers.

If you're waiting on a kid from LA to make a choice and aren't offering a local kid who might not be ranked as high in your mind - you could miss both.

And when you miss both you miss both you have to go down ANOTHER tier for a recruit.

No one is saying don't go to the south, however if you keep missing what's the point? So the coaches can spend time in the sun?

I will give Kill this...he did land maruice coon...so that's a bonus.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - NIU05 - 11-05-2009 09:38 AM

There is one thing NIU is #1 in, number of recruiting posts per commits. NO WAY did we ever have a monopoly of non BCS players in Chicago never happened.

Novak got a lot of mileage out of players that were not wanted, PJ Fleck,M Turner, D Sheldon, J Haldi , D Free all great college players with -1- offer. He also had walk ons like R Drew and others. My point is you have to turn over every stone to find these players and that it takes relationship building to get clued in on who the players are. That is why you need 4 or 5 coaches actively hitting Chicago metro.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 11-05-2009 11:08 AM

(11-05-2009 09:38 AM)NIU05 Wrote:  There is one thing NIU is #1 in, number of recruiting posts per commits. NO WAY did we ever have a monopoly of non BCS players in Chicago never happened.

Novak got a lot of mileage out of players that were not wanted, PJ Fleck,M Turner, D Sheldon, J Haldi , D Free all great college players with -1- offer. He also had walk ons like R Drew and others. My point is you have to turn over every stone to find these players and that it takes relationship building to get clued in on who the players are. That is why you need 4 or 5 coaches actively hitting Chicago metro.

It did towards the end of the Novak Era.

The non bcs kids were basically his to choose from. No one is saying he didn't build winning teams from "unwanted" kids - but he did get the guys he wanted in the end. In fact you helped prove the point that what Novak built took years. How long did it take Kill to dismantle it?

The perfect example is raiding the morgan park kids from Ball State.

Novak got what he wanted. He didn't often steal kids from a U of I or BCS school - but that isn't the point of what I was saying. In fact U of I could take whatever they wanted from us Asamoah (or however you spell his name) is a great example of a guy we had...who U of I took.

Seriously, all the local kids Novak wanted he got. I can't name a kid that a non BCS school was able to take away from Novak. I'm sure there had to be one or 2 I'm forgetting...

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - rabidawg900 - 11-05-2009 11:27 AM

(11-05-2009 11:08 AM)TheNEWguy Wrote:  
(11-05-2009 09:38 AM)NIU05 Wrote:  There is one thing NIU is #1 in, number of recruiting posts per commits. NO WAY did we ever have a monopoly of non BCS players in Chicago never happened.

The non bcs kids were basically his to choose from. No one is saying he didn't build winning teams from "unwanted" kids - but he did get the guys he wanted in the end. In fact you helped prove the point that what Novak built took years. How long did it take Kill to dismantle it?

Novak got what he wanted. He didn't often steal kids from a U of I or BCS school - but that isn't the point of what I was saying. In fact U of I could take whatever they wanted from us Asamoah (or however you spell his name) is a great example of a guy we had...who U of I took.

Seriously, all the local kids Novak wanted he got. I can't name a kid that a non BCS school was able to take away from Novak. I'm sure there had to be one or 2 I'm forgetting...

Kill hasn't dismantled any of the recruiting in Illinois, are you crazy? He's talked about many a times where he wants his main recruiting area to be from Illinois.

And your Morgan Park example is terrible. Orlando Moore was the best player in 2005 and look how that ended up.

The only good players in that class were Bryant, Hanson, Bice, Adamski & Mel Rice. That's terrible for a class that had 24 commitments.

In 2006, only JO, Kube & Marcus Lewis have panned out of 17 commitments.

Such great recruiting in Novak's latter years.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - NIUHuskies86 - 11-05-2009 11:38 AM

(11-05-2009 11:27 AM)rabidawg900 Wrote:  

Kill hasn't dismantled any of the recruiting in Illinois, are you crazy? He's talked about many a times where he wants his main recruiting area to be from Illinois.

And your Morgan Park example is terrible. Orlando Moore was the best player in 2005 and look how that ended up.

The only good players in that class were Bryant, Hanson, Bice, Adamski & Mel Rice. That's terrible for a class that had 24 commitments.

You are absolutely right about Novak's recruiting his last few years as coach, but for some reason people around here just choose to ignore that obvious fact. You can appreciate what Novak did and at the same time point out his recruiting struggles at the end, you know.

(11-03-2009 03:32 PM)TheNEWguy Wrote:  Because you just posted baloney - i responded with baloney.

You didn't post any stats or anything. You just said the conferences 2 best players (in your mind) are local kids Novak didn't grab. I'm not sure we offered Dan L. So your argument was lame because you listed 2 QBs (Remember fast Freddy wanted to be a QB) and Novak clearly thought he was set at QB - which he wasn't but it was OK to think that.

So your whole argument was based around Novak not offering 1 QB (DAN) and not offering one QB as a QB (Fast Freddy...he had an offer from us as a WR...).

Explain how that shows our Illinois Monopoly didn't work? It shows that no matter where you recruit you can make a mistake on whom you pass on...weird how that happens with 18 year old kids.

And it also shows that when given first choice of guys, if you take one and pass on another you'll look worse than you would if you were a poacher.

So your argument was baloney. Other than an opinion that was not only wrong, but made you look bad for typing it. I feel bad for you even, that was ugly.

Once again, this post has absolutely nothing in it except vague references to nothing. I can't respond to nonsense, so I'm not sure what to post here. Are you related to Joe Novak?

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 11-05-2009 11:46 AM

I think this pretty much explains why your blog has 3 readers. Maybe 4.

You're right, that 2007 class was awful too!

err...wait it wasn't? No way Novak recruited that class!!!

Thank goodness you are our blogger. You are amazing and all 3 (sometimes 4) of your readers must be so happy to have found you on the web! 03-lmfao

When can we expect another podcase???? 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

Maybe just one dedicated to how much Novak's 07 class sucked?

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - DSniu41 - 11-05-2009 12:07 PM

(11-05-2009 11:46 AM)TheNEWguy Wrote:  

Thank goodness you are our blogger. You are amazing and all 3 (sometimes 4) of your readers must be so happy to have found you on the web! 03-lmfao

When can we expect another podcase???? 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

03-zzz those little people are laughing at you.. not with you

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - klake87 - 11-05-2009 12:42 PM

All I know is that having only one known verbal is disappointing. Other MAC schools have many more verbal commitments. They have gotten the players they want but we have not. I guess the old adage applies "Go ugly early and avoid the rush"

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - rabidawg900 - 11-05-2009 01:05 PM

(11-05-2009 11:46 AM)TheNEWguy Wrote:  I think this pretty much explains why your blog has 3 readers. Maybe 4.

I just love when you can't figure out what to reply to what I post, you just personal attack me and my blog. Fantastic. Btw, we average 250 visitors per day.

The 2007 class was pretty good, but it takes 4 straight years of quality recruiting to win championships and bowl games. Those guys are mostly redshirt sophomores. Where are the quality upperclassmen? That's right, because Novak shot and missed in recruiting Illinois from 2003-06, ironically after our best seasons.

And since the '07 class contains Pat Schiller, doesn't that make you a hyprocrite?

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - rabidawg900 - 11-05-2009 01:57 PM

(11-05-2009 12:42 PM)klake87 Wrote:  All I know is that having only one known verbal is disappointing. Other MAC schools have many more verbal commitments. They have gotten the players they want but we have not. I guess the old adage applies "Go ugly early and avoid the rush"

It sure will be interesting to see how this class ends up, considering how much Kill's style has been bashed recently.

We just need to make a bowl game and the verbals will start to rush in come December. Last year we had a full class, but this year we only have a MAX 14 schollies to hand out. Probably less, so we have to be more selective.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - epasnoopy - 11-06-2009 12:45 PM

If someone has a subscription to scout.com then you can read about why CB Jeffery Garrett changed his verbal to Ball State.

http://ballstate.scout.com/2/916626.html

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 11-06-2009 12:56 PM

(11-05-2009 12:42 PM)klake87 Wrote:  All I know is that having only one known verbal is disappointing. Other MAC schools have many more verbal commitments. They have gotten the players they want but we have not. I guess the old adage applies "Go ugly early and avoid the rush"

I hope it applies here.

I have a feeling it doesn't - but that's kind of how this class is shaking out.

I'm hoping that maybe we are getting some JC kids that are filling voids and maybe their verbals aren't made public...because no one has really thought to ask where they're going.

It's going to be an interesting 3 or 4 months.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - NIUHuskies86 - 11-06-2009 03:28 PM

Ahh the classic case of reverting to personal attacks on a message board. Not only is that a case of basically admitting you are wrong (since you responded to a post with actual facts in it by ignoring them and attacking the poster), but it just makes you look really bad and lame.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - NIU05 - 11-06-2009 03:38 PM

(11-06-2009 03:28 PM)NIUHuskies86 Wrote:  
(11-05-2009 11:27 AM)rabidawg900 Wrote:  [quote='TheNEWguy' pid='4786522' dateline='1257437317']
[quote='NIU05' pid='4786253' dateline='1257431883']

Ahh the classic case of reverting to personal attacks on a message board. Not only is that a case of basically admitting you are wrong (since you responded to a post with actual facts in it by ignoring them and attacking the poster), but it just makes you look really bad and lame.

... 100% AGREE.....

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - onlinepole - 11-07-2009 06:16 AM

(10-28-2009 11:51 AM)NIU05 Wrote:  
(10-28-2009 11:40 AM)scottiep12 Wrote:  
(10-28-2009 11:10 AM)klake87 Wrote:  
(10-28-2009 10:52 AM)rabidawg900 Wrote:  FYI, Slidell also has WR Armand Williams, who has us in his top-2

http://rivals.yahoo.com/pelicanpreps/football/recruiting/player-Armand-Williams-93970

That is an impressive list of offers. kid is 6'3" with a 40 inch vertical. Wow could he be a red zone threat.

Can somebody explain the LA connection to me again? Just recruiting ties from Kill's staff when they were at SIU?

Yes.... SIU is really in the "South". That region is not called the "Top of the South" for nothing. SIU has a long history of going to New Orleans & Memphis for players.

Kill also worked Kansas and Missouri hard, hope he does more of that here.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - rabidawg900 - 11-07-2009 10:43 PM

Osei now has time to ponder his recruiting decision. Prospect just got beat by my alma mater Wheaton North 38-24

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - scottiep12 - 11-08-2009 01:41 PM

Mike Hellams' (LB commit out of Bolingbrook) season over...hopefully his bitterness turns in to a nice long offseason of hardwork. DG South and Whitmer (U of I QB recruit) proving that it is very, very hard to beat a team 3 times in a row.