CSNbbs
2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-462.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois Archives (/forum-792.html)
+----- Thread: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/VERBAL LIST (/thread-351368.html)

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 10-08-2009 09:10 AM

(10-08-2009 08:08 AM)klake87 Wrote:  Osei will get a couple of late Scholarships from BCS schools. By not committing early, he is waiting for the biggest fish. Tom Lemming talking him up will definitely increase interest. I am hoping that we give Tyler Benz a shot. He could be a mini Tim Tebow. He is like a Tight End playing QB.

He's a real interesting player right there - a good size kid at 6'3 218 who runs a little bit.

I wonder why he doesn't have any offers he would seem to fit perfectly with other spread teams who run the O like we do. With our run first style I think he would be a nice pick up - and it appears as if he can play a few other positions if he doesn't pan out at QB. If I recall correctly the only question with him is his arm - can he make all the throws?

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - klake87 - 10-08-2009 09:51 AM

(10-08-2009 09:10 AM)TheNEWguy Wrote:  
(10-08-2009 08:08 AM)klake87 Wrote:  Osei will get a couple of late Scholarships from BCS schools. By not committing early, he is waiting for the biggest fish. Tom Lemming talking him up will definitely increase interest. I am hoping that we give Tyler Benz a shot. He could be a mini Tim Tebow. He is like a Tight End playing QB.

He's a real interesting player right there - a good size kid at 6'3 218 who runs a little bit.

I wonder why he doesn't have any offers he would seem to fit perfectly with other spread teams who run the O like we do. With our run first style I think he would be a nice pick up - and it appears as if he can play a few other positions if he doesn't pan out at QB. If I recall correctly the only question with him is his arm - can he make all the throws?

I think a lot of college recruiters think it is the system. Maine South's last few QBs have been all state and have not garnished much attention. All the talent at MS hurts the QBs. Matt Perez is a stud RB which makes everyone else look better.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 10-08-2009 09:56 AM

(10-08-2009 09:51 AM)klake87 Wrote:  
(10-08-2009 09:10 AM)TheNEWguy Wrote:  

I think a lot of college recruiters think it is the system. Maine South's last few QBs have been all state and have not garnished much attention. All the talent at MS hurts the QBs. Matt Perez is a stud RB which makes everyone else look better.

He's another interesting player, his only offer in the FBS level was Indiana. I haven't been able to find any other offers, he seems like he puts up a ton of numbers.

And you're right, it looks like the only thing that can be holding these MS guys back is the system they run - every year they have guys who put up crazy video game numbers.

To be fair Goro did go to vandy, that's an SEC school. I forgot about him.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - NIUHuskies86 - 10-08-2009 04:19 PM

(10-08-2009 06:22 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  Guys. HUSKIE recruiting page not U of Illness. Take to S&N or an Illness board. I do not want to filter through Illness posts to get to the good stuff.

Even if you are right that this isn't an Illinois recruiting forum (which you are), being a jerk and showing serious little brother syndrome/jealously isn't going to get anybody to listen to you. I think a simple "guys, keep in mind this is an NIU forum" might have been more effective.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 10-08-2009 09:54 PM

(10-08-2009 04:19 PM)NIUHuskies86 Wrote:  
(10-08-2009 06:22 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  Guys. HUSKIE recruiting page not U of Illness. Take to S&N or an Illness board. I do not want to filter through Illness posts to get to the good stuff.

Even if you are right that this isn't an Illinois recruiting forum (which you are), being a jerk and showing serious little brother syndrome/jealously isn't going to get anybody to listen to you. I think a simple "guys, keep in mind this is an NIU forum" might have been more effective.

But he wasn't right because every post had to do with NIU. U of I offering a guy we have a great shot at and killing that shot would be a bad thing.

However I'm thinking that U of I isn't interested, and like I said it will have nothing to do with them already grabbing a QB, I just don't feel like they are interested in him unless they get turned down by a bunch of guys.

This is one of the rare times we will cross paths on the recruiting trail with one of our FBS in state "rivals".

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - NIURedBlack - 10-09-2009 08:22 PM

Anyone heard anything about recruits from Minnesota? Was able to watch a HS game on tv up here, some very talented kids from Wayzata HS which is ranked 1 in MN. See a few listed on scout, no mentions of NIU on that site. I think this is where Fritz Rock went to school...

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - RitzHuskie - 10-10-2009 08:27 AM

I checked out the St. Rita Providence game last night. Was really impressed by DT Bruce Gaston of St. Rita. He made a few sacks and even caused a fumble. The announcers said he is 6'3'' and around 310lbs and he looked very strong and quick. Given our connections to the St. Rita program any chance he may be on our radar?

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - klake87 - 10-10-2009 11:21 AM

(10-10-2009 08:27 AM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  I checked out the St. Rita Providence game last night. Was really impressed by DT Bruce Gaston of St. Rita. He made a few sacks and even caused a fumble. The announcers said he is 6'3'' and around 310lbs and he looked very strong and quick. Given our connections to the St. Rita program any chance he may be on our radar?

He is being recruited by all the big boys.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - sterling1man - 10-11-2009 01:39 AM

Better to be a starter at NIU then a big 10 bench warmer.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - UIHuskie - 10-11-2009 11:47 AM

(10-11-2009 01:39 AM)sterling1man Wrote:  Better to be a starter at NIU then a big 10 bench warmer.

Right, except Gaston is good enough to start in the Big Ten. He's a Big Ten-level defensive tackle.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - HuskiePride12 - 10-11-2009 04:14 PM

Yea, he has an offer from ND also, so im sure hes pretty big time.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - klake87 - 10-12-2009 11:47 AM

Daron Brown got an offer from Wyoming and is getting interest from some unnamed Big 10 team. See Rivals for info. Hopefully, since we were the first to offer months ago, we still will have a chance even if a low level Big 10 team comes a calling.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - NIUSAE - 10-12-2009 12:14 PM

Northwestern is talking like they might offer. He indicated they said he cleared the academics.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 10-12-2009 03:34 PM

(10-12-2009 12:14 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  Northwestern is talking like they might offer. He indicated they said he cleared the academics.

NW would be a very interesting offer - they run a spread that allows the QB to create, if he wanted to stay at QB they would be just as good an offer as we have. Their education is better - we'd probably be a better chance at playing.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - NIU05 - 10-12-2009 04:38 PM

Brown is NOT playing QB especially here @ NIU. He is athletic, smart and can make plays, but not a QB. Anyone who gets an offer from NU should give them a hard look, they have a lot to offer.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - RitzHuskie - 10-13-2009 08:55 AM

(10-12-2009 04:38 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Brown is NOT playing QB especially here @ NIU. He is athletic, smart and can make plays, but not a QB. Anyone who gets an offer from NU should give them a hard look, they have a lot to offer.

In a case like this if we do end up losing Brown, I cannot fault Kill for going out of state to get a player of equal value as I don't see a comparable player in state. He would make a good get and probably a nice WR if we were able to nab him.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 10-13-2009 09:06 AM

(10-13-2009 08:55 AM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  
(10-12-2009 04:38 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Brown is NOT playing QB especially here @ NIU. He is athletic, smart and can make plays, but not a QB. Anyone who gets an offer from NU should give them a hard look, they have a lot to offer.

In a case like this if we do end up losing Brown, I cannot fault Kill for going out of state to get a player of equal value as I don't see a comparable player in state. He would make a good get and probably a nice WR if we were able to nab him.

He can end up playing a variety of positions, that's probably why he's so popular at this point.

However, I think I would love to hear of some out of the midwest verbals sometime soon...I mean Kill is recruiting down there hard I'd love to see something that shows it is working this year.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - goniu1523 - 10-13-2009 11:58 AM

(10-13-2009 09:06 AM)TheNEWguy Wrote:  

He can end up playing a variety of positions, that's probably why he's so popular at this point.

However, I think I would love to hear of some out of the midwest verbals sometime soon...I mean Kill is recruiting down there hard I'd love to see something that shows it is working this year.

High school kids up here (midwest) commit a lot earlier than kids in the south. Kill mentioned that his first year. If you look at rivals website and go under state rankings for Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana compared to sourthern states it appears to be true.

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - TheNEWguy - 10-13-2009 12:13 PM

(10-13-2009 11:58 AM)goniu1523 Wrote:  
(10-13-2009 09:06 AM)TheNEWguy Wrote:  

High school kids up here (midwest) commit a lot earlier than kids in the south. Kill mentioned that his first year. If you look at rivals website and go under state rankings for Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana compared to sourthern states it appears to be true.

Yeah I've heard him say that too - but I would still like at least one guy at this point. It probably doesn't mean much that we don't have any at this point but still...

RE: 2010 Football Recruiting Thread/Verbal List - epasnoopy - 10-13-2009 12:16 PM

(10-13-2009 11:58 AM)goniu1523 Wrote:  High school kids up here (midwest) commit a lot earlier than kids in the south. Kill mentioned that his first year. If you look at rivals website and go under state rankings for Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana compared to sourthern states it appears to be true.

On the flipside, kids down south are more likely to pick a non-BCS school over a BCS school. A bunch of players on teams from CUSA or SBC have BCS offers. Kids here are infatuated with playing in the big ten so much that they will take an offer from Indiana, NU, or Illinois over one from a top MAC team.