CSNbbs
FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers (/thread-343670.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - Cubanbull - 01-31-2009 10:32 AM

They are working on gettin out of the last of the thre game series with USf to play Rutgers home-awy starting this year. Guess we might be loking for another game after all.
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jan/31/sp-usf-may-lose-2009-opponent/sports-colleges-bulls/

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - WacoBearcat - 01-31-2009 10:57 AM

Here's an idea. Add another football school to the Big East. One less non-conference to schedule, and you get a balanced 4-4 conference schedule. (Sorry, looks like I've turned this into another expansion thread.)

04-cheers

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - Cubanbull - 01-31-2009 11:08 AM

Waco
We are now going to struggle because we need another HOME game. Not many available this late in the year.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - bitcruncher - 01-31-2009 11:21 AM

I'm not in favor of member schools taking games from other member schools. That should be contrary to the spirit of any CONFERENCE. A CONFERENCE is supposed to be an organization that stands TOGETHER. Schools that stand TOGETHER don't take home games away from each other. It's diametrically opposed to the spirit of TOGETHERNESS...

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - WacoBearcat - 01-31-2009 11:32 AM

(01-31-2009 11:21 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I'm not in favor of member schools taking games from other member schools. That should be contrary to the spirit of any CONFERENCE. A CONFERENCE is supposed to be an organization that stands TOGETHER. Schools that stand TOGETHER don't take home games away from each other. It's diametrically opposed to the spirit of TOGETHERNESS...

I agree. But Rutgers has only 3 Big East home games this year. It has to find FIVE non-conference games. Self-interest trumps togetherness at this point. The scheduling problem for Big East schools is going to get worse. It will get to a point where Big East schools will have to schedule 1-1 with MAC, SUNBELT, other non-bcs schools. The Big East needs another football school desperately.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - BullsBEAST - 01-31-2009 11:37 AM

This is rediculous. This kind of thing happening makes the conference look bad. You wouldnt see the sec or big 12 doing that to each other.

This isnt as bad as NC State taking BCs coach but its the same kind of thing.

Now we have to scramble to find another opponent, and will most likely be forced to sign a 1-1 with a mac team or something like that. If we werent pressed for time we could have worked a 2-1 with someone. Maybe next time rutgers should get off their ass and do their schedule early. You are the only school that still needs 3 opponents for 09.

I really hope we dont end up playing 2 1aa teams.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - Cubanbull - 01-31-2009 11:39 AM

We also have 3 BE home games. As for starting? Is already happenning. Rutgers and FIU wil be a 1-1. USF signed 1-1 deals with WKU and Ball State and Im sure whoever we get at this late date will be a 1-1

So you tell me is having a 1-1 with these teams better than having a 1-1 with another BE team such as Memphis, ECU or UCF?
Didnt Pitt sign a 1-1 deal with Buffalo

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - TexanMark - 01-31-2009 12:11 PM

(01-31-2009 11:08 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Waco
We are now going to struggle because we need another HOME game. Not many available this late in the year.

Dial: 1-800-PLAYIAA

That is usually your only option unless you get lucky.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - WacoBearcat - 01-31-2009 12:19 PM

(01-31-2009 11:39 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  We also have 3 BE home games. As for starting? Is already happenning. Rutgers and FIU wil be a 1-1. USF signed 1-1 deals with WKU and Ball State and Im sure whoever we get at this late date will be a 1-1

So you tell me is having a 1-1 with these teams better than having a 1-1 with another BE team such as Memphis, ECU or UCF?
Didnt Pitt sign a 1-1 deal with Buffalo

This really sucks. I wonder if the Rutgers AD knew that it was poaching a home game away from South Florida. But even if he did or didn't, we know where the real source of the problem is for the Big East. BCS and more notably non-BCS schools have us over a barrel. Look for more 1-1 with the Western Kentucky's and the Eastern Michigans of the world. In the words of George Costanza in Seinfeld "we have no hand." ADD ANOTHER FOOTBALL SCHOOL. I don't care who it is at this point, just do it.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - TexanMark - 01-31-2009 12:24 PM

(01-31-2009 11:37 AM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  This is rediculous. This kind of thing happening makes the conference look bad. You wouldnt see the sec or big 12 doing that to each other.

This isnt as bad as NC State taking BCs coach but its the same kind of thing.

Now we have to scramble to find another opponent, and will most likely be forced to sign a 1-1 with a mac team or something like that. If we werent pressed for time we could have worked a 2-1 with someone. Maybe next time rutgers should get off their ass and do their schedule early. You are the only school that still needs 3 opponents for 09.

I really hope we dont end up playing 2 1aa teams.

Scheduling FIU and FAU home and home is the exception...both schools allow the northern schools: a nice trip to FL for players and fans, allows local FL transplants a chance to go to a game and more importantly allows players parents and future players a chance to see your team.

I'd prefer to play UCF home and home but FIU/FAU give you Dade/Broward County.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - UltimateCFBfan - 01-31-2009 12:32 PM

Oh please Don't bring this bullcrap. You want to talk about Conference togetherness? Go tell that to the Uconn Athletic department for screwing us over and playing ND in our backyard after we told them no. It's alright for us to get screwed but not alright the other way around? And personally I rather we don't have FIU on the schedule all together.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - TexanMark - 01-31-2009 12:39 PM

(01-31-2009 12:32 PM)UltimateCFBfan Wrote:  Oh please Don't bring this bullcrap. You want to talk about Conference togetherness? Go tell that to the Uconn Athletic department for screwing us over and playing ND in our backyard after we told them no. It's alright for us to get screwed but not alright the other way around? And personally I rather we don't have FIU on the schedule all together.

Your school turned down Notre Dame...you left the door open. Many college games have been played in Meadowlands before.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - TyBull - 01-31-2009 01:04 PM

another reason to hate rutgers. Where is the commissioner's leadership?

the BE Sucks.......

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - rferry - 01-31-2009 01:11 PM

(01-31-2009 11:32 AM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  
(01-31-2009 11:21 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I'm not in favor of member schools taking games from other member schools. That should be contrary to the spirit of any CONFERENCE. A CONFERENCE is supposed to be an organization that stands TOGETHER. Schools that stand TOGETHER don't take home games away from each other. It's diametrically opposed to the spirit of TOGETHERNESS...

I agree. But Rutgers has only 3 Big East home games this year. It has to find FIVE non-conference games. Self-interest trumps togetherness at this point. The scheduling problem for Big East schools is going to get worse. It will get to a point where Big East schools will have to schedule 1-1 with MAC, SUNBELT, other non-bcs schools. The Big East needs another football school desperately.
Where have you been? Cincy, Rutgers, USF and most of the existing BE football schools have been playing 1-1 with the MAC schools for years. Few have the cache or revenue streams of WV to bully around the lower tiers of FBS.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - WacoBearcat - 01-31-2009 01:21 PM

(01-31-2009 01:04 PM)TyBull Wrote:  Where is the commissioner's leadership?

Ask the basketball-only schools.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - KnightLight - 01-31-2009 01:40 PM

(01-31-2009 10:57 AM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  Here's an idea. Add another football school to the Big East. One less non-conference to schedule, and you get a balanced 4-4 conference schedule.

04-cheers

Mean have a balanced schedule and only have to deal with 4 non-conf games per year...just like all the other conferences (minus Pac-10 that only have 3 non-conf games per year)?

That would add automatically one attractive game for TV purposes (i.e. conf game), help the Big East secure a better TV contract (more conf games, more $$$).

Plus, make it much easier to deal with just 4 non-conf games (4 different individual contracts per year instead of 5) per year.

Why would anyone want to do that?05-stirthepot

PS. I do find it odd though that its one Big East program "stealing" (offering more $$$$$) a non-conf opponent from another Big East program.

Guess its a free-for-all and each team is on their own.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - UltimateCFBfan - 01-31-2009 01:52 PM

(01-31-2009 12:39 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(01-31-2009 12:32 PM)UltimateCFBfan Wrote:  Oh please Don't bring this bullcrap. You want to talk about Conference togetherness? Go tell that to the Uconn Athletic department for screwing us over and playing ND in our backyard after we told them no. It's alright for us to get screwed but not alright the other way around? And personally I rather we don't have FIU on the schedule all together.

Your school turned down Notre Dame...you left the door open. Many college games have been played in Meadowlands before.

We turned it down because they gave us a crappy offer even though we are practically conference mates in every other sport . And even though they give BC 1 for 1 and BC plays in a smaller sized stadium (56K vs 40k for BC) Uconn then goes and accepts the deal that is just as crappy and in our backyard. It's kind of a slap to RU. But so what right? Uconn was looking for their best interest. Why should they put the interest of RU in front of their own? And why should RU put USF's interest in front of their own? All I am saying is this lets stand together crap is not going to happen. Every team in the BE is doing and going to do whats in their best interest.

P.S for the record I do not want us playing FIU......especially for 1 and 1

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - CatsClaw - 01-31-2009 01:55 PM

(01-31-2009 01:11 PM)rferry Wrote:  
(01-31-2009 11:32 AM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  

Where have you been? Cincy, Rutgers, USF and most of the existing BE football schools have been playing 1-1 with the MAC schools for years. Few have the cache or revenue streams of WV to bully around the lower tiers of FBS.

Big Ten schools have also played home and home games with the MAC. It doesn't have anything to do with not having the cache to bully anybody around. Cincinnati definitely has the cache because Miami fans are paranoid of UC cancelling the series, and Akron threw a huge party when Cincinnati came to town. Cincinnati definitely has the cache to force a 2 for 1, they just haven't done that because of loyaly. Cincinnati and Miami have a long history, and our AD came from Akron. Outside of that, I don't think we'll necessarily see anymore home and home games unless it benefits Cincinnati financially or geographically.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - SF Husky - 01-31-2009 02:02 PM

Get a load of Rutgirls OOC schedule next season. A murderers row of FIU
hofstra, norfolk st, army and duke

I thought Schiano got all his 5 star recruits. How about take on a big boy or two? This schedule is pathetic.

RE: FIU to drop USF to play Rutgers - CatsClaw - 01-31-2009 02:05 PM

I don't mean to knock Rutgers' schedule, but there is no reason why they should win 9 or 10 games. That non-conference schedule shouldn't be a challenge at all, save for possibly Duke since Cutcliffe has them headed in the right direction.