CSNbbs
BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? (/thread-343520.html)

Pages: 1 2

BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - UofL07 - 01-30-2009 12:42 PM

I know it is early to be making predictions but I was wondering how many BE teams you think will make the tournament and what their seeds will be? As of Jan 26th, Joe Lunardi from ESPN says the Big East will place 9 teams in the tournament.

Villanova (8)
G'town (5)
WVU (5)
Louisville (2)
Pittsburgh (1)
UConn (1)
Syracuse (5)
Marquette (3)
Notre Dame (10)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

In particular what do you guys think about Notre Dame being in over UC and Providence?
Cincinnati (RPI 57 - SOS 29 - Conf 4-4 - Overall 13-7)
Providence (RPI 61 - SOS 54 - Conf 6-2 - Overall 14-6)
Notre Dame (RPI 78 - SOS 65 Conf 3-5 Overall 11-7)

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - SF Husky - 01-30-2009 01:57 PM

Providence deserves it over ND right now for sure. I hope UCONN comes out west away from all the distraction in the East.

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - Bearcat T - 01-30-2009 02:07 PM

It is tooearly to tell on Cincy. I will say Providence beat us head to head so right now they deserve it. We play ND next week so that will help. UC has a brutal schedule but a huge chance at getting really into the thick of this thing. The schedule strength could hit the top soon.

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - omniorange - 01-30-2009 02:18 PM

It's only the end of January, and there are a lot of games to be played yet but at this time last year I called it - 8 Big East teams.

This year I'm saying 10 Big East teams make the NCAAs.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - CardinalJim - 01-30-2009 08:06 PM

If the Big East gets 10 in, that prick that coaches Duke will whine to anyone that will listen. Couple that with Dickie V's ranting and I would be very happy laughing at them.
CJ

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - templefootballfan - 01-31-2009 12:32 PM

BE is not getting 10 in tourn.
I see Cin in, but GT, ND & Prov are proabblly
in NIT.
GT still has a shot &
Cin could still fall out

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - WacoBearcat - 01-31-2009 02:19 PM

Pitt beat Notre Dame this afternoon. Unless the Irish win the Big East tournament (highly, highly unlikely), ND is off to the NIT.

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - omniorange - 01-31-2009 02:36 PM

(01-31-2009 02:19 PM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  Pitt beat Notre Dame this afternoon. Unless the Irish win the Big East tournament (highly, highly unlikely), ND is off to the NIT.

It's still too soon to tell for sure. Other than the St. John's game (and possibly the Marquette game at home), ND hasn't lost a game that they were suppose to win.

Playing in this league this year is a two-edged sword, you are going to lose more games than you normally would in an average conference year, but you also have the opportunity to score more big wins.

At the moment the Irish need to either finish 6-3 in conference play OR beat UCLA on the road and get to the quarters of the BET OR lose to UCLA and get to the semi-finals of the BET.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - omniorange - 01-31-2009 02:47 PM

(01-31-2009 12:32 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  BE is not getting 10 in tourn.
in NIT.
GT still has a shot &
Cin could still fall out

Well, since no league has ever gotten more than 8 bids, the smart money would agree with you.

But as bad as ND is playing right now, the truth is that the mid-majors are the WEAKEST I have ever seen them. Normally the Big 6 take between 33-36 total bids. This year they will likely take between 36-39 of the total bids because the mid-majors are so down.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - WacoBearcat - 01-31-2009 02:57 PM

(01-31-2009 02:47 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
in NIT.
GT still has a shot &
Cin could still fall out

Well, since no league has ever gotten more than 8 bids, the smart money would agree with you.

But as bad as ND is playing right now, the truth is that the mid-majors are the WEAKEST I have ever seen them. Normally the Big 6 take between 33-36 total bids. This year they will likely take between 36-39 of the total bids because the mid-majors are so down.

Cheers,
Neil

The Big East could wind up with 7 bids, which wouldn't be that good in a 16 team league.

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - templefootballfan - 01-31-2009 03:28 PM

Omni, you make a good point.
MVC is down, and that does open up 1or2 spots.
but everybody is in conf play, Big 6 schools will be dropping
& mid majors will be rising.
Prov has good resume,
but last 10 they will be 4-6 & that will hurt them
no matter how underserving, I can't see 3 from SEC

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - omniorange - 01-31-2009 03:42 PM

(01-31-2009 02:57 PM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  
in NIT.
GT still has a shot &
Cin could still fall out

Cheers,
Neil

The Big East could wind up with 7 bids, which wouldn't be that good in a 16 team league.

Bids are not decided upon in a vacuum. One needs to see what is happening in other leagues (both majors and mid-majors) to make an estimate of what is likely to happen come Selection Sunday.

To give you an idea, last year the Big 6 took 34 total bids (their usual average). This means the Big 6 took 28 of the 34 at-large bids.

At this exact point in time last year, the mid-majors had 18 teams in the RPI Top 50, with 8 in the Top 25. This year they have 13 in the Top 50, with only 5 of them in the Top 25. The mid-majors also had more than twice as many OOC Top 50 RPI wins last year than they have this year. It is very likely the mid-majors will not have enough strength this year to take an additional 6 bids over and above their 25 AQ bids.

Right now most bracket projections I have seen have the Mountain West (2), West Coast (2), and A-10 (2) leagues as the only multi-bid leagues. Last year I believe they had the A-10 (4), Mountain West (2), Missouri Valley (2), West Coast (2).

Last year there were 5 one-bid leagues that could have potentially been 2 bid leagues if the regular season leader at that time failed to win the league championship - CUSA (Memphis), Horizon (Butler), Southern (Davidson), MAC (Kent State), Sun Belt (South Alabama). This year there appears to be only three in that situation - the same as the first three on last year's list.

It just seems when looking at all of these factors, 36 total bids for the Big 6 conferences seems extremely likely. And if you begin with that as the starting point and then go through each of the Big 6 to see how many will come from each conference, two of the following three conferences - the ACC, the Big Ten, and the Big East - are going to be smiling come Selection Sunday.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - KNIGHTTIME - 01-31-2009 03:45 PM

Norte Dame is sitting with a RPI around 80. They will most likely be in the NIT.

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - omniorange - 01-31-2009 03:47 PM

(01-31-2009 03:28 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Omni, you make a good point.
MVC is down, and that does open up 1or2 spots.
but everybody is in conf play, Big 6 schools will be dropping
& mid majors will be rising.
Prov has good resume,
but last 10 they will be 4-6 & that will hurt them
no matter how underserving, I can't see 3 from SEC

Mid-majors can only rise when they beat teams in conference that have won big games OOC. Not enough of those this year, unlike last year.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - omniorange - 01-31-2009 03:52 PM

(01-31-2009 03:45 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Norte Dame is sitting with a RPI around 80. They will most likely be in the NIT.

If Selection Sunday were tomorrow or if they keep losing they will be NIT bound. And deservedly so. But they have a tough enough schedule still ahead of them that they could rise to be back on the bubble. And if they play well enough to be on the bubble, that will mean they will likely have 3 Top 25 wins and at least 2 more Top 50 wins. That will get them a lot of consideration come Selection Sunday.

And if they continue to lose, that will only increase the chances of Providence and Cincinnati - both of whom have a good chance of being 9-9 in league play (or above in Providence's case).

Cheers,
Neil

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - WacoBearcat - 01-31-2009 04:15 PM

Marquette beats Georgetown which was to be expected. Georgetown is struggling. Now 12-8 (3-6) in the conference. The Hoyas need to get it going.

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - omniorange - 01-31-2009 05:01 PM

(01-31-2009 04:15 PM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  Marquette beats Georgetown which was to be expected. Georgetown is struggling. Now 12-8 (3-6) in the conference. The Hoyas need to get it going.

As you say, they need to get going again, particularly on D but...

Unlike ND, G'Town actually has a favorable schedule down the stretch, with 3 winnable home games against Rutgers, Cincinnati, and DePaul and 2 winnable road games @USF and @St. John's. Their other 4 games are @SU, @Nova, with Marquette and Louisville home. Win the games they should and win at least 1 of the 4 latter games and they are 9-9 in conference and in the tournament.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - firmbizzle - 01-31-2009 08:12 PM

(01-31-2009 03:42 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(01-31-2009 02:57 PM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  
in NIT.
GT still has a shot &
Cin could still fall out

Cheers,
Neil

Bids are not decided upon in a vacuum. One needs to see what is happening in other leagues (both majors and mid-majors) to make an estimate of what is likely to happen come Selection Sunday.

To give you an idea, last year the Big 6 took 34 total bids (their usual average). This means the Big 6 took 28 of the 34 at-large bids.

At this exact point in time last year, the mid-majors had 18 teams in the RPI Top 50, with 8 in the Top 25. This year they have 13 in the Top 50, with only 5 of them in the Top 25. The mid-majors also had more than twice as many OOC Top 50 RPI wins last year than they have this year. It is very likely the mid-majors will not have enough strength this year to take an additional 6 bids over and above their 25 AQ bids.

Right now most bracket projections I have seen have the Mountain West (2), West Coast (2), and A-10 (2) leagues as the only multi-bid leagues. Last year I believe they had the A-10 (4), Mountain West (2), Missouri Valley (2), West Coast (2).

Last year there were 5 one-bid leagues that could have potentially been 2 bid leagues if the regular season leader at that time failed to win the league championship - CUSA (Memphis), Horizon (Butler), Southern (Davidson), MAC (Kent State), Sun Belt (South Alabama). This year there appears to be only three in that situation - the same as the first three on last year's list.

It just seems when looking at all of these factors, 36 total bids for the Big 6 conferences seems extremely likely. And if you begin with that as the starting point and then go through each of the Big 6 to see how many will come from each conference, two of the following three conferences - the ACC, the Big Ten, and the Big East - are going to be smiling come Selection Sunday.

Cheers,
Neil

I thought the Big 6 always took 34 bids with the remaining automatic bids from mid majors. That's why the went to 65 because some conference split adding another automatice bid taking one away from the Big 6.

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - firmbizzle - 01-31-2009 08:14 PM

Is it easier to get 5/8 teams in the tourney from a conference or 10/16? Does splitting increase or decrease the odds?

RE: BE teams and their seed in the tournament? - omniorange - 01-31-2009 08:31 PM

(01-31-2009 08:12 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  
(01-31-2009 03:42 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  Bids are not decided upon in a vacuum. One needs to see what is happening in other leagues (both majors and mid-majors) to make an estimate of what is likely to happen come Selection Sunday.

Cheers,
Neil

I thought the Big 6 always took 34 bids with the remaining automatic bids from mid majors. That's why the went to 65 because some conference split adding another automatice bid taking one away from the Big 6.

Seems like it, but no - 34 is the typical year. Back in 2005-06 the Big 6 only took 32 (probably the best year for the mid-majors since the advent of the BCS), the next two years they got 34 in both years.

Prior to 2005-06, it was the Big 7 (C-USA as #7) and it was 34 the two years prior (04-05 and 03-04) as well.

Cheers,
Neil