CSNbbs
Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup (/thread-339150.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - WacoBearcat - 01-08-2009 12:22 AM

Interesting interview that Brian Bennett of ESPN had with Tranghese. Here is a piece of the interview regarding the Big East Bowl lineup. Why is Tranghese encouraged?

I know you've made improving the Big East bowl lineup a top priority and that those discussions have begun. Anything you can tell us about how that's going so far?

Mike Tranghese: I'm encouraged, but I know my bowl partners would have a stroke if I talked about it. I've been trying to do a lot of work before I leave and (incoming commissioner) John Marinatto is on board with me. I think the bowl people are a lot more excited about us than they were five years ago. We didn't have much to offer then because we didn't even know who was going to be in our league when we were talking the last time. I think the bowl stuff isn't going to break for a while. We're trying to push the envelope as hard and as quick as we can, and we'll find out before I leave, I think, where we stand.

Is there a desire to eliminate the rotation-style bowl agreements like you have with the Gator/Sun bowl?

MT: I don't know that we want a hybrid situation. On the other hand, we have two great partners in both the Gator Bowl and the Sun Bowl, and I think our priority would be to retain both of them. That's what we're trying to do. We've been a partner with the Gator for a long time, and this was our first cycle with the Sun Bowl people and they've been terrific. I think our membership has enjoyed going out there and playing, and enjoy playing the Pac-10. It's a great slot, on December 31st, on CBS, so it's great exposure. I think we'd like to retain both of those. The trick is how do you do it?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigeast/0-3-37/One-on-One-with-Mike-Tranghese--Part-II.html

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - quo vadis - 01-08-2009 01:17 AM

(01-08-2009 12:22 AM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  Interesting interview that Brian Bennett of ESPN had with Tranghese. Here is a piece of the interview regarding the Big East Bowl lineup. Why is Tranghese encouraged?

indeed ... the tipoff is his claim that his "bowl partners would have a stroke if he talked about" why he is encouraged. why would they care if he talked about it? it sounds like this is an excuse for not having to talk specifics, because ... in reality there are no specifics and we are stuck with the same lousy bowl lineup we've had the last 5 years.

if anything, his description of the sun/gator hybrid situation is discouraging, since while we would like to get commitments from both bowls making the BE a permanent part of each pairing, tranghese seems to be implying that he's struggling to keep the Big East in any kind of rotation with those bowls at all.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - Murph1 - 01-08-2009 08:58 AM

It's ironic that he says he's not sure we'd want a hybrid bowl situation (Gator/Sun), yet it's apparantely okay to have a hybrid league. 03-banghead

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - cuseroc - 01-08-2009 09:08 AM

(01-08-2009 01:17 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(01-08-2009 12:22 AM)WacoBearcat Wrote:  Interesting interview that Brian Bennett of ESPN had with Tranghese. Here is a piece of the interview regarding the Big East Bowl lineup. Why is Tranghese encouraged?

indeed ... the tipoff is his claim that his "bowl partners would have a stroke if he talked about" why he is encouraged. why would they care if he talked about it? it sounds like this is an excuse for not having to talk specifics, because ... in reality there are no specifics and we are stuck with the same lousy bowl lineup we've had the last 5 years.

If you have ever been involved in any type of business negotiations, you would know that you dont divulge details of your negotiations until there are signed deals, because there are alot of factors that can undermine your negotiations, and that is even moreso in these types of negotiations.

But the following quote bothered me:

"this was our first cycle with the Sun Bowl people and they've been terrific"

Are these the same Sun Bowl people who said that they only signed a deal with the BE to get a chance at ND, period?
Unless they have been very good to the BE behind the scenes, thats not what I would call terrific.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - TexanMark - 01-08-2009 09:09 AM

(01-08-2009 08:58 AM)Murph1 Wrote:  It's ironic that he says he's not sure we'd want a hybrid bowl situation (Gator/Sun), yet it's apparantely okay to have a hybrid league. 03-banghead

And the Sun Bowl treated us so well when they were spewing all other themselves in glee over the false hope of a 6-6 Notre Dame. Don't get me wrong...the Sun Bowl is a nice bowl but it should be BE #3 unless the Muffler Bowl can up their payout.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - firmbizzle - 01-08-2009 09:53 AM

(01-08-2009 08:58 AM)Murph1 Wrote:  It's ironic that he says he's not sure we'd want a hybrid bowl situation (Gator/Sun), yet it's apparantely okay to have a hybrid league. 03-banghead

Dude is Mr. Hybrid. I don't expect him to ever say that everything is great.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - TIGER-PAUL - 01-08-2009 10:18 AM

I think him being 'encouraged' means there is interest in the BE and willingness of some bowls for movement at least at the start of all this. I forsee some of the bowls still requiring BE to be flexible/hybrid. I don't care as long as the BE no. 2 doesn't have to settle for muffler and no.3 go vs non bcs.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - BullsFanInTX - 01-08-2009 01:57 PM

Could he be working on something like this:

1) BCS
2) Gator (with ND
3) Sun (with ND)

The sun might go for our # 3, if they were gauranteed to get ND once or twice every 4 years, since they want ND so bad. Sun over MCC for #3?

The Sun actually had good things to say about USF last year, maybe they want to continue with BE, especially if they can get ND.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - ClairtonPanther - 01-08-2009 03:09 PM

(01-08-2009 01:57 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Could he be working on something like this:

1) BCS
2) Gator (with ND
3) Sun (with ND)

The sun might go for our # 3, if they were gauranteed to get ND once or twice every 4 years, since they want ND so bad. Sun over MCC for #3?

The Sun actually had good things to say about USF last year, maybe they want to continue with BE, especially if they can get ND.

I think thats the road Mikey T is actually trying to go. I actually like this plan and hope it works. My question is what does the Big XII try to do. Even with Notre Dame in the mix I can deal with this plan because the Big East is guarenteed either the Sun or the Gator every year against the ACC or Pac 10 #2 team.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - cuseroc - 01-08-2009 04:32 PM

(01-08-2009 03:09 PM)animus Wrote:  
(01-08-2009 01:57 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Could he be working on something like this:

1) BCS
2) Gator (with ND
3) Sun (with ND)

I think thats the road Mikey T is actually trying to go. I actually like this plan and hope it works. My question is what does the Big XII try to do. Even with Notre Dame in the mix I can deal with this plan because the Big East is guarenteed either the Sun or the Gator every year against the ACC or Pac 10 #2 team.

I hope he is not hurting the relationship with the Charlotte Bowl, again, in an effort to get a better bowl setup. Those folks have been pretty good with the BE as long as the BE was treating them fairly.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - TIGER-PAUL - 01-08-2009 05:42 PM

In the past charlotte has balked at BE no. 4. But They may be ok with it now as the BE has more teams that can do well there.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - usffan - 01-08-2009 06:47 PM

(01-08-2009 04:32 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  I hope he is not hurting the relationship with the Charlotte Bowl, again, in an effort to get a better bowl setup. Those folks have been pretty good with the BE as long as the BE was treating them fairly.

I didn't think they were "pretty good" with USF the year we went there. They made it clear they wanted UConn over us and made it obvious that they "settled" on us. Kind of put a damper on the whole "first bowl berth" party...

Frankly, most of the bowl officials I've ever encountered had a very inflated opinion of themselves. In some ways, one of the best things I think can come from a playoff will be ridding the sport of some of these barnacles.

USFFan

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - templefootballfan - 01-08-2009 10:01 PM

I think BE can replace Pac-10 in Sun Bowl
Krocker is right bowls would have to settle for
ND once in 4 yr cycle.
That would allow Mienkie to settle for BE #4
GMAC & Motor City bowl have to be intrested in BE.
BCS
Gator with one shot at ND vs ACC
Sun with one shot at ND vs B-12
Mienkie with one shot at ND vs ACC
GMAC with one shot at ND vs ACC
Internatinal vs MAC
St Pete vs C-USA

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - Cubanbull - 01-08-2009 10:08 PM

(01-08-2009 04:32 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

1) BCS
2) Gator (with ND
3) Sun (with ND)

I hope he is not hurting the relationship with the Charlotte Bowl, again, in an effort to get a better bowl setup. Those folks have been pretty good with the BE as long as the BE was treating them fairly.

I dont think you have to hurt the Charlotte Bowl. They DEPEND on traveling fans while the Sun really doesnt. So you dont have to say 3ed place goes to Sun and 4rth goes to Charlotte as much as those Bowls decide who works better for them.
For example lets say Louisville finishes third and Syracuse 4rth. Well it makes more sense for the Sun to take Syracuse and have UL with their bigger traveling base go to Charlotte.
This is something that the SEC does with their bowls tie ins

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - gdayre - 01-09-2009 08:56 AM

(01-08-2009 10:01 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  I think BE can replace Pac-10 in Sun Bowl
Krocker is right bowls would have to settle for
ND once in 4 yr cycle.
That would allow Mienkie to settle for BE #4
GMAC & Motor City bowl have to be intrested in BE.
BCS
Gator with one shot at ND vs ACC
Sun with one shot at ND vs B-12
Mienkie with one shot at ND vs ACC
GMAC with one shot at ND vs ACC
Internatinal vs MAC
St Pete vs C-USA
GMAC is not interested in the BE. Dont know where you heard that. ACC is who they are interested in. They have already been talking to them. Independence Bowl is interested since it seems like they will be losing both conferences.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - bitcruncher - 01-09-2009 09:13 AM

Bowls won't be around in their current form much longer. A playoff is coming. Bet on it...

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - TexanMark - 01-09-2009 10:01 AM

(01-08-2009 10:08 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(01-08-2009 04:32 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

1) BCS
2) Gator (with ND
3) Sun (with ND)

I dont think you have to hurt the Charlotte Bowl. They DEPEND on traveling fans while the Sun really doesnt. So you dont have to say 3ed place goes to Sun and 4rth goes to Charlotte as much as those Bowls decide who works better for them.
For example lets say Louisville finishes third and Syracuse 4rth. Well it makes more sense for the Sun to take Syracuse and have UL with their bigger traveling base go to Charlotte.
This is something that the SEC does with their bowls tie ins

Syracuse would travel pretty well to NC...we had 6,000 fans there for a regular season game at UNC in 2003. Lots of NY transplants in the Piedmont. But I agree your point is valid that bumping teams up or down one makes sense for geography.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - quo vadis - 01-09-2009 11:02 AM

(01-08-2009 09:08 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  

If you have ever been involved in any type of business negotiations, you would know that you dont divulge details of your negotiations until there are signed deals, because there are alot of factors that can undermine your negotiations, and that is even moreso in these types of negotiations..

Like what? There's no KFC crispy chicken secret formula at stake here.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - cuseroc - 01-09-2009 11:41 AM

(01-09-2009 11:02 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(01-08-2009 09:08 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  

If you have ever been involved in any type of business negotiations, you would know that you dont divulge details of your negotiations until there are signed deals, because there are alot of factors that can undermine your negotiations, and that is even moreso in these types of negotiations..

Like what? There's no KFC crispy chicken secret formula at stake here.

Well if you dont see the logic in my post, its no use in me trying to explain it to you, because you will only believe what you want to believe.

RE: Tranghese on Big East Bowl Lineup - Bearcat T - 01-09-2009 12:39 PM

Actually PAPA Johns vs SEC is now not a bad deal even thought the facility is bad etc. aNYWHERE WE CAN GO AND PLAY THE SEC is good...