CSNbbs
HOW is Fedora Being Out Coached? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt West Team Talk (/forum-290.html)
+----- Forum: Southern Miss (/forum-447.html)
+----- Thread: HOW is Fedora Being Out Coached? (/thread-322108.html)

HOW is Fedora Being Out Coached? - eagleriffic - 10-19-2008 02:25 PM

http://southernmiss.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/teamcume.html

Here are the season to date stats. Offensively we are averaging just over 28pts per game, defensively we give up 30. The defense Fedora & his staff inherited was HORRIBLE last year. We could not stop anyone last year & it's going to take time to rebuild it.

Here is another FACT our kicker (who was recruited by Bower) SUCKS 8-15 in FG tries. We make a few FGs & We WIN a few of these games we have lost.

Penalties? We are averaging 2 more penalties more per game than our opponents. Are they crappy & come at bad times? Yes, but WHEN have the officials EVER given us a break when it comes to the yellow flags?

RE: HOW is Fedora Being Out Coached? - Chef Owl - 10-19-2008 03:02 PM

I think some people over at So. Miss need to calm down. When Rice had its third coach in three years, I was still really optimistic about last year. Unfortunately we had a 3-9 season. What I learned is that it normally takes time for a team to adjust to a new coaching staff. Will Fedora bring So. Miss to prominence again? I don't know. Only time will tell that. However, I do think that So. Miss fans need to give him a break on his first season there.

RE: HOW is Fedora Being Out Coached? - eagleriffic - 10-19-2008 03:34 PM

Thanks & well said! Our fans need to chill out.

RE: HOW is Fedora Being Out Coached? - terryW - 10-19-2008 08:09 PM

Well, playing devil's advocate for a second......

if you compare the five common opponents played this year with last and substitute Tennessee and Tenn-Martin for Auburn and ULaLa you see the following

TY

Record 2-5
Off scoring 202
Aver. Off 28.9
Def Scoring 215
Aver. Def 30.7

LY
Record 4-3
Off Scoring 204
Aver. Off 29.1
Def Scoring 185
Aver. Def 26.4

Biggest difference I see is the two win difference. We beat UTEP and Marshall while losing to them this year. We scored more points last year by 2 and gave up fewer by 30.

Also, taking the same seven games, the FG's are close to the same actually....

This year we are 8 out of 15
Last year was a little better with 10 at of 14

I know, I'm just doing the numbers thing but I'm an accountant/bookkeeper and numbers are what I do.

Plus, maybe we can get more people over here to post about USM stuff.

RE: HOW is Fedora Being Out Coached? - eagleriffic - 10-20-2008 11:29 AM

Great post & thanks for crunching the numbers!

What jumps out at me is the defensive points per game. That 4ppg average is HUGE! Marshall, UTEP & Rice we lost by 7, 3 & 5 points respectively. Last year we beat Marshall by 9 & lost to Rice by 2. We were equally matched against them last year.

UP next are 3 very winnable games Memphis (we lost by 3 last year), UAB (won by 30 last year) & UCF (lost by 17 last year).

RE: HOW is Fedora Being Out Coached? - HellBlazer - 10-31-2008 02:11 PM

Gonna come and getcha..........LOL