CSNbbs
The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them (/thread-309837.html)

Pages: 1 2

The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - CatsClaw - 08-16-2008 04:32 PM

Remember articles like this:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2008/08/16/big-east-preview-cupcake-schedules/

The Big East and other conferences are in a no win situation. The Big East plays non-BCS schools (not counting Division I-AA) and they're accused of playing a soft schedule and some of the biggest complaints about cupcake schedules are from non-BCS fans! The Big East, and other BCS conferences decide NOT to play non-BCS and they're accused of being scared. That particular article ticked me off because the biggest complaints about a cupcake schedule came from C-USA fans, and the Big East plays a bunch of games against C-USA schools.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - CyberBull - 08-16-2008 04:47 PM

CatsClaw Wrote:Remember articles like this:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2008/08/16/big-east-preview-cupcake-schedules/

The Big East and other conferences are in a no win situation. The Big East plays non-BCS schools (not counting Division I-AA) and they're accused of playing a soft schedule and some of the biggest complaints about cupcake schedules are from non-BCS fans! The Big East, and other BCS conferences decide NOT to play non-BCS and they're accused of being scared. That particular article ticked me off because the biggest complaints about a cupcake schedule came from C-USA fans, and the Big East plays a bunch of games against C-USA schools.

That is why its a no win situation for USF to play schools like UCF. Nothing to gain.....and everything to lose.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - HiddenDragon - 08-16-2008 04:58 PM

CatsClaw Wrote:That particular article ticked me off because the biggest complaints about a cupcake schedule came from C-USA fans, and the Big East plays a bunch of games against C-USA schools.

I'm sorry but I only counted 3 teams from CUSA: Memphis, Marshall and UCF. And I think Marshall plays both UC and WVU. UL plays Memphis and UCF vs USF. I don't think that is a bunch of games.

On the other hand, if CUSA fans are complaining about BCS conferences playing cupcakes then maybe we should be quiet since we haven't performed well over the last two or three years against them.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - CatsClaw - 08-16-2008 06:00 PM

Normally I don't blame non-BCS (Cincinnati was a non-BCS for years so we know the feeling), but when non-BCS fans just slam the Big East for playing a "cupcake schedule" and the schedule is allegedly cupcake because there are non-BCS programs on it, then you can't complain when the Big East, or other BCS schools, don't regularly set up series with non-BCS schoools.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - Jackson1011 - 08-16-2008 06:22 PM

HiddenDragon Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:That particular article ticked me off because the biggest complaints about a cupcake schedule came from C-USA fans, and the Big East plays a bunch of games against C-USA schools.

I'm sorry but I only counted 3 teams from CUSA: Memphis, Marshall and UCF. And I think Marshall plays both UC and WVU. UL plays Memphis and UCF vs USF. I don't think that is a bunch of games.

On the other hand, if CUSA fans are complaining about BCS conferences playing cupcakes then maybe we should be quiet since we haven't performed well over the last two or three years against them.

-- West Virginia/East Carolina....we have been playing reguarly for years

Jackson

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - firmbizzle - 08-16-2008 07:19 PM

CatsClaw Wrote:Normally I don't blame non-BCS (Cincinnati was a non-BCS for years so we know the feeling), but when non-BCS fans just slam the Big East for playing a "cupcake schedule" and the schedule is allegedly cupcake because there are non-BCS programs on it, then you can't complain when the Big East, or other BCS schools, don't regularly set up series with non-BCS schoools.
[Image: LilJon.jpg]

What?

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - CatsClaw - 08-16-2008 07:21 PM

HiddenDragon Wrote:

That's why I said a bunch of GAMES, not against a bunch of C-USA teams. UC plays a home and home against Marshall, West Virginia plays Marshall and East Carolina virtually every year, Louisville plays Memphis, UCF was supposed to play Pitt and WVU (I think they might play them later), there are a bunch of GAMES between C-USA and the Big East. My point is, the Big East gets a lot of flack from C-USA fans (and other non-BCS fans) for playing a weak schedule. Our schedule is supposedly weak because we have a lot of non-BCS programs on it (because we have to have 5 OOC games). I just think it's hypocritical to complain about BCS teams not playing them and then rip a schedule for being weak because a bunch of non-BCS programs are on it.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - RockyMtnRamfan - 08-16-2008 07:44 PM

Last time I checked Utah beat Louisville in Louisville.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - HiddenDragon - 08-16-2008 08:28 PM

CatsClaw Wrote:
HiddenDragon Wrote:

That's why I said a bunch of GAMES, not against a bunch of C-USA teams.

Not to nitpick but in your quote above you said the Big East plays a bunch of games against CUSA schools. I think you play 5 games against 4 CUSA schools.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - Pinetown - 08-16-2008 09:23 PM

ECU/VT game in Charlotte is close to soldout @ 73,000+. Both schools are 4 hours away. We have two future games with South Carolina scheduled for Charlotte.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - CatsClaw - 08-17-2008 02:14 PM

RockyMtnRamfan Wrote:Last time I checked Utah beat Louisville in Louisville.

You just missed the entire point of the thread. On a side note, side note, think about what you just said the next time you and your Mountain West brethren complain that the Big East plays a "weak" OOC schedule then.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - ECMAN79 - 08-17-2008 02:29 PM

I think there's a perception that since Big East teams have to play 5 OOC opponents, and those schedules usually include at least 1 FCS opponent , it makes that OOC schedule weak.
I dont necessarily agree with that. But, its just a perception.
I love the series we have with WVU btw. Now if we can only get a win one of these days! haha

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - bitcruncher - 08-17-2008 04:22 PM

Screw this. I'm sick of the incessant b!tch!ng by wannabees. Shut up and get over it already. All the constant bickering isn't going to make The BEast fond of any CUSA school. And if expansion ever happens that could play a critical role in who makes it, and who doesn't - if you're under consideration in the first place.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - ECMAN79 - 08-17-2008 05:22 PM

bitcruncher Wrote:Screw this. I'm sick of the incessant b!tch!ng by wannabees. Shut up and get over it already. All the constant bickering isn't going to make The BEast fond of any CUSA school. And if expansion ever happens that could play a critical role in who makes it, and who doesn't - if you're under consideration in the first place.

i hope that isn't targeted at me man. im only giving a possible explanation to the perception.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - Bambu - 08-17-2008 05:54 PM

Except for Louisville, I've never even looked at a BE ooc schedule.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - bitcruncher - 08-17-2008 06:26 PM

ECMAN79 Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:Screw this. I'm sick of the incessant b!tch!ng by wannabees. Shut up and get over it already. All the constant bickering isn't going to make The BEast fond of any CUSA school. And if expansion ever happens that could play a critical role in who makes it, and who doesn't - if you're under consideration in the first place.
i hope that isn't targeted at me man. im only giving a possible explanation to the perception.
There was no target. It was a sawed-off shotgun blast at everyone in the room... 03-banghead

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - Flight of the Eagle - 08-19-2008 09:01 AM

Hey Catsclaw.....Southern Miss has petitioned the NCAA for another year of eligibility for Brett Favre since it heard Mauk was trying to get a 6th year!.......Since there has been no Brett Favre press lately, I thought I would mention it.......I guess it is true that players near social security status such as Mauk, Favre, and Powe from Ole Miss ought to get their due....right?

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - Fanatical - 08-19-2008 09:04 AM

well crap, southern piss fans are showing up

we're putting you on probation CatsClaw for bringing them around

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - Metropolis777 - 08-19-2008 09:38 AM

Just curious, why is it that the fans from schools that have had marginal success and just recently became BCS members within the past 4 years - namely Cincy fans and UConn fans - are always the ones running their mouths and talking smack about non-BCS schools. Meanwhile, the Big East schools with the most success and tradition - WVU, Pitt, Louisville - tend to go about their business without smack talking. Is it a new money thing?

Just an observation.

RE: The next time non-BCS schools complain about BCS schools playing them - wvucrazed - 08-19-2008 02:47 PM

Current CUSA teams have lost 24 straight to BE teams. Until they manange to break that streak, I don't think they have much space to criticize the BE about anything.

As for schedule strength, the BE's OOC schedule is comparable to other BCS leagues.