CSNbbs
Conference configuration discussion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Conference configuration discussion (/thread-301872.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Conference configuration discussion - Ring of Black - 06-12-2008 12:50 PM

Rank what you consider the most to least preferred configuration direction the BE should take, and explain why. Let’s speak in general terms and try to avoid squabbling over particular schools.

Me first:

1. Split. BB schools continue with 9-10 (add Xavier and maybe one other), and FB schools add 1-2 (NO MORE THAN 10). Both sides probably agree that few home-homes for basketball is no way to run a conference, or build rivalries.

2. Maintain reduced hybrid of 12 (add FB member, retain 3 BB). There are enough prosperous B-ball only members in solid markets to make this happen.

3. Keep conglomeration as is, wait for candidates to emerge. Not my preference at all. But, unwieldy as it is, it’s better than the following…

4. Split and maintain eight football members (don’t add). Since the football scheduling issue is one of the drivers toward the split sentiment, what’s the point of splitting and NOT adding a member?

5. Pump the monster up to 18 by adding a FB and BB. It might solve FB scheduling, but that’s it. More mouths to feed = weak revenue/school.

6. Split and expand to 12. With the general failure of conference championship games (except SEC, B12), there is no point in diluting the product this significantly.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - BullsFanInTX - 06-12-2008 01:02 PM

I like the BE and it is working VERY well despite what the pro split crowd would have you to believe.

1) Maintain status quo until if/when one school clearly separates themselves from the pack and warrants inclusion, like a Boise State type school. If a CUSA or other eastern school starts going to BCS bowls, think about adding them.

2) Add 1 "football only" member

3) Go to 18 members, add 1 FB/1BB

4) Split and add 1-2 all sports members. No more that 10, preferably 9.

5) Split, add 1-2 all sports, keep 2-3 BB members for about a 12 team conf.

6) Split and go to a 12 team all sports and have a FB champ. game.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - Ring of Black - 06-12-2008 01:28 PM

Oops, I forgot “football-only”. I guess I’d place that in as a subset of “maintaining status quo”.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - TexanMark - 06-12-2008 01:32 PM

I prefer the Machavallian Plan: Execute Seton Hall and add Memphis or UCF.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - Stookey57 - 06-12-2008 01:36 PM

Jose_Jalapeno_on_a_Stick Wrote:Rank what you consider the most to least preferred configuration direction the BE should take, and explain why. Let’s speak in general terms and try to avoid squabbling over particular schools.

Me first:

1. Split. BB schools continue with 9-10 (add Xavier and maybe one other), and FB schools add 1-2 (NO MORE THAN 10). Both sides probably agree that few home-homes for basketball is no way to run a conference, or build rivalries.

2. Maintain reduced hybrid of 12 (add FB member, retain 3 BB). There are enough prosperous B-ball only members in solid markets to make this happen.

3. Keep conglomeration as is, wait for candidates to emerge. Not my preference at all. But, unwieldy as it is, it’s better than the following…

4. Split and maintain eight football members (don’t add). Since the football scheduling issue is one of the drivers toward the split sentiment, what’s the point of splitting and NOT adding a member?

5. Pump the monster up to 18 by adding a FB and BB. It might solve FB scheduling, but that’s it. More mouths to feed = weak revenue/school.

6. Split and expand to 12. With the general failure of conference championship games (except SEC, B12), there is no point in diluting the product this significantly.

I say number 6, split add 3 schools all sports, Memphis, UCF, UMass.
Tell ND to fish or cut bait, if they cut bait add ECaroline FB only with no restrictions. A 12 team FB and BB league
is perfect.........

RE: Conference configuration discussion - wvucrazed - 06-12-2008 03:43 PM

My preference would be to drop Marquette and Depaul and replace them with Memphis immediately, and then hold out for one more - whichever becomes the best option from either ECU, Temple, or down the road Charlotte or another 1-AA.

It would shift the balance of voting power to the football schools, but I think the remaining BB schools could live with that rather than a split.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - ClairtonPanther - 06-12-2008 04:57 PM

Option 1. to split and go to 10. You add Memphis and Temple and call it a day.

Option 2. Stay the same BBall is great, football is getting better and gaining respect as the years go, and great enthusiasm over a new Lacross League

Option 3. Go to 18 teams, add a football school and basketball school to help the football schools with the scheduling problems.

Option 4. Add a football only ECU(least likely to happen).

Option 5. The impossible I mean impossible happens, a split and a whole new conference is formed with Notre Dame, BC, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Penn ST, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Uconn, Temple, Louisville... Sorry Cincy and USF your the odd teams out. And remember this is only a pipedream which means it will never happen.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - zibby - 06-12-2008 07:02 PM

5. Big yes
1. A resigned yes
3. A resigned meh
2. Ick.
4. Huh?
7. Seppuku
8. Swallowing hemlock
9. Marrying Rosie O'Donnell
10. Running for mayor of Baghdad
6. Absolutely, positively NOOOO!!!!

RE: Conference configuration discussion - Cubanbull - 06-12-2008 07:22 PM

#5 add memphis. Keep ND,Gtown and Villanova.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - DFW HOYA - 06-12-2008 07:57 PM

Either that, or FedEx buys DePaul University for $285 million, renames it the "University of Memphis at Chicago" and acquires its Big East voting rights.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - esayem - 06-12-2008 08:28 PM

Split and add Temple and Central Florida.
Rivalry week:
WVU-Pitt
UConn-Syracuse
Rutgers-Temple
USF-UCF
Louisville-Cinci

RE: Conference configuration discussion - XLance - 06-12-2008 08:30 PM

animus Wrote:Option 1. to split and go to 10. You add Memphis and Temple and call it a day.

Option 2. Stay the same BBall is great, football is getting better and gaining respect as the years go, and great enthusiasm over a new Lacross League

Option 3. Go to 18 teams, add a football school and basketball school to help the football schools with the scheduling problems.

Option 4. Add a football only ECU(least likely to happen).

Option 5. The impossible I mean impossible happens, a split and a whole new conference is formed with Notre Dame, BC, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Penn ST, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Uconn, Temple, Louisville... Sorry Cincy and USF your the odd teams out. And remember this is only a pipedream which means it will never happen.

That's some conference, I like it.
OK we'll trade you Maryland and Va. Tech for Florida and south carolina. How you get Penn State is up to you.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - esayem - 06-12-2008 08:35 PM

WTF! I never want to not play Maryland and VaTech!!! I would like to play SC every year though.....

RE: Conference configuration discussion - Krocker Krapp - 06-12-2008 08:35 PM

1. Split. Both sides stop at 10 members. Football side adds Central Florida and Temple for a Pac-10 of the East type of configuration. Basketball side adds St. Louis and Holy Cross to put some old rivals back in the fold for their two sides.

2. Split. Both sides stop at 12 members. Football side adds Central Florida, Temple, Memphis, and East Carolina in an attempt to mimic the SEC, Big 12, and ACC. Basketball side adds St. Louis, Holy Cross, Xavier, and Dayton for balance.

3. Stay together, extend Get Out Of Jail Free card four or five more years, and go to 18 to fix scheduling problems and foreshadow a split. Central Florida is added for football and St. Louis for basketball to help geography mesh together.

4. Stay still, extend the Get Out Of Jail Free card four or five more years, and wait for Boston College to change their minds or another school to become something the football members are just unable to live without. Split at that point.

5. Split but do not expand. As mentioned above, there is no point to doing something like that, it only makes sense to split in order to accomodate expansion. That includes if the Catholic basketball schools do not extend the card longer.

6. Screw over five Catholic schools and form a 12 team hybrid. That is just ruthless. It looks like a chapter from the John Swofford Handbook For Trying To Make As Much Money As Possible While Ignorantly Damaging Other Universities.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - esayem - 06-12-2008 08:51 PM

Krocker Krapp Wrote:1. Split. Both sides stop at 10 members. Football side adds Central Florida and Temple for a Pac-10 of the East type of configuration. Basketball side adds St. Louis and Holy Cross to put some old rivals back in the fold for their two sides.

2. Split. Both sides stop at 12 members. Football side adds Central Florida, Temple, Memphis, and East Carolina in an attempt to mimic the SEC, Big 12, and ACC. Basketball side adds St. Louis, Holy Cross, Xavier, and Dayton for balance.

3. Stay together, extend Get Out Of Jail Free card four or five more years, and go to 18 to fix scheduling problems and foreshadow a split. Central Florida is added for football and St. Louis for basketball to help geography mesh together.

4. Stay still, extend the Get Out Of Jail Free card four or five more years, and wait for Boston College to change their minds or another school to become something the football members are just unable to live without. Split at that point.

5. Split but do not expand. As mentioned above, there is no point to doing something like that, it only makes sense to split in order to accomodate expansion. That includes if the Catholic basketball schools do not extend the card longer.

6. Screw over five Catholic schools and form a 12 team hybrid. That is just ruthless. It looks like a chapter from the John Swofford Handbook For Trying To Make As Much Money As Possible While Ignorantly Damaging Other Universities.

1. Fine, except add Xavier in for da Cross. The next best New England option is UMass, you know it, and I know it.

2. Fine, except New Basketball League wouldn't go to that many members, beyond 10 is fuzeball territorr.

3. Fine, you love this freakin' idea, except I kinda prefer Memphis over UCF in this scenar.

4. Northern Private School likes playing alone in the ACC.

5. For sho.

6. Thanks for ending with the dis.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - Krocker Krapp - 06-12-2008 09:15 PM

esayem Wrote:1. Fine, except add Xavier in for da Cross. The next best New England option is UMass, you know it, and I know it.

2. Fine, except New Basketball League wouldn't go to that many members, beyond 10 is fuzeball territorr.

3. Fine, you love this freakin' idea, except I kinda prefer Memphis over UCF in this scenar.

4. Northern Private School likes playing alone in the ACC.

5. For sho.

6. Thanks for ending with the dis.
Did he ask for people to critique other posts? Everyone has different ideas and are unlikely to change.

1. Massachusetts is not Catholic. Holy Cross is Catholic. Xavier and Dayton should not be separated.

2. If you love Xavier so much, and Dayton by extension, this is the best way to get the two aboard.

3. Obviously if I loved the idea it would be #1 instead of #3. It is temporary to get by for a few years.

4. Boston College has no choice but to like playing alone for now but that might change in the future.

5. Agreement? Maybe the new ultraviolet light scientists found means the end of the universe is near.

6. No problem. I would also dis John Swofford to his face, but more professionally, if I had the chance.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - omniorange - 06-12-2008 09:41 PM

Jose_Jalapeno_on_a_Stick Wrote:Rank what you consider the most to least preferred configuration direction the BE should take, and explain why. Let’s speak in general terms and try to avoid squabbling over particular schools.

Well, since you said "preferred" and not necessarily realistic, here are mine. And since you said no names, this will be tough...

1. Get a certain golden member of the conference to join for football, add the two furthest apart geographical members of the ACC, convince a certain lost lamb (er... lion) to come home and convince 3 bb schools that life would be so much better for them in another conference, for a 12-team football and 16-team basketball Big East.

2. Knowing the above is pie-in-the sky, split, add the C-USA candidate that is closest to Graceland, and convince a certain golden member and two other bb schools to join with us.

3. Split, add two C-USA candidates, the one closest to Graceland and the one in purple whose fans probably consider Captain Jack Sparrow competition. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil

RE: Conference configuration discussion - texasorange - 06-12-2008 09:50 PM

Again if this is a pipedream (so others reading please take no offense) then my perfect All-Sports Conference would be:

UConn
Rutgers
Pitt
WVU
Syracuse
Penn State
Maryland
Va. Tech.
Boston College

Knowing this is totally impossible, my 2nd choice:

UConn
Rutgers
Pitt
WVU
Syracuse
Louisville
Cininnati
USF
UCF
Memphis

That would be all I would want in a realistic All-Sports Conference.

Otherwise, stay with our current 16 team hybrid unless you can show me SU & all the FB schools can & WILL make more money.

RE: Conference configuration discussion - Ring of Black - 06-12-2008 09:52 PM

Krocker, the auto-bid for basketball is, IMO, the most overrated factor in all this, or close to it. Suppose Neil's #2 comes to pass. Then suppose the five remaining basketball schools pick another school located in Southwestern Ohio, starts with "X", and has a rather disturbing blue blob of a mascot (how's that Neil 03-lmfao). Do you honestly think a conference with that school and the one near Laverne and Shriley's old brewery have to worry about an automatic NCAA qualifier for three years?

RE: Conference configuration discussion - omniorange - 06-12-2008 10:17 PM

Jose_Jalapeno_on_a_Stick Wrote:Krocker, the auto-bid for basketball is, IMO, the most overrated factor in all this, or close to it. Suppose Neil's #2 comes to pass. Then suppose the five remaining basketball schools pick another school located in Southwestern Ohio, starts with "X", and has a rather disturbing blue blob of a mascot (how's that Neil 03-lmfao). Do you honestly think a conference with that school and the one near Laverne and Shriley's old brewery have to worry about an automatic NCAA qualifier for three years?

You done good.

And I totally agree on your last point.

Cheers,
Neil