CSNbbs
Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) (/thread-298590.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - CatsClaw - 05-15-2008 01:55 PM

usffan Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:
usffan Wrote:
memp600 Wrote:It also appears that FedEx and the UofM athletic director are telling big time boosters and others close to the situation to keep things on the quiet. It is how they have always done business.

I just spit soda on my computer monitor. R. C. Johnson has NEVER done ANYTHING "on the quiet." That guy can't keep his mouth shut to save his life.

"The University of South Florida is NOT a candidate for Big East expansion" - R.C. Johnson, circa 2003

USFFan

RC Johnson was also inexperienced at the time. He is good friends with Bob Goin. Bob Goin and RC couldn't work together last time because they were kind of competing for the last slot in the Big East. Now that Cincinnati is in and Bob Goin has plenty of free time (he's retired), I'm guessing that Bob Goin is giving RC PLENTY of advice and he won't repeat the same mistakes he did last time.

Sorry, there's just a little too much bad blood between RC and USF to attribute it to "inexperience." Maybe the fact that our administration and AD have both changed since he managed to piss both off will be a salve for those wounds, but they are pretty deep.

USFFan

Just because you didn't like his quote doesn't mean there is "bad blood" between USF and Memphis.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - MUAvalanche - 05-15-2008 02:01 PM

Bearcats#1 Wrote:So...are the Memphis/BE talks for immediate membership? If so...would a split be then immediate? I would hope because 17 bball teams would be bad (16 is already bad enough).

And if we split, who gets to keep name Big East? I assume the bball only schools?

So many questions, so few answers......

I doubt membership would be immediate, as there is CUSA to consider. When the Big East, A-10 and Mountain West took CUSA teams, CUSA was left with 6 teams (Memphis, ECU, UAB, USM, Tulane, Houston). CUSA needs to keep those 6 together until the new teams (UTEP, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, UCF, Marshall) have been in the conference for at least 5 years. Then, the 6 teams together for 5 year rule for the NCAA auto bid will be met for CUSA. Given what happened with the ACC, I doubt that the BE football presidents would want to hurt CUSA in this manner.

Same for the Big East. If there is a split before 2010, the football conference will not qualify as a conference for NCAA basketball purposes, as they will not have been together for at least 5 years.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Tigeer - 05-15-2008 02:04 PM

I have a question to pose to the board.

Why couldn't the BE split but not really? Kinda like a parent corporation with two subsidaries. Not compete in the same basketball league but have deals back and forth for non-conference games. FB schools in one league and BB in another, including ND.

Two BE tourneys in the Garden.

The so-called parent company could work on T.V. contracts, etc. and at the end of the day share some head-quarter resources.

A mega consortium with two BB leagues.

Heck ND plays this game already and gets away with it.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - usffan - 05-15-2008 02:06 PM

CatsClaw Wrote:
usffan Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:
usffan Wrote:
memp600 Wrote:It also appears that FedEx and the UofM athletic director are telling big time boosters and others close to the situation to keep things on the quiet. It is how they have always done business.

I just spit soda on my computer monitor. R. C. Johnson has NEVER done ANYTHING "on the quiet." That guy can't keep his mouth shut to save his life.

"The University of South Florida is NOT a candidate for Big East expansion" - R.C. Johnson, circa 2003

USFFan

RC Johnson was also inexperienced at the time. He is good friends with Bob Goin. Bob Goin and RC couldn't work together last time because they were kind of competing for the last slot in the Big East. Now that Cincinnati is in and Bob Goin has plenty of free time (he's retired), I'm guessing that Bob Goin is giving RC PLENTY of advice and he won't repeat the same mistakes he did last time.

Sorry, there's just a little too much bad blood between RC and USF to attribute it to "inexperience." Maybe the fact that our administration and AD have both changed since he managed to piss both off will be a salve for those wounds, but they are pretty deep.

USFFan

Just because you didn't like his quote doesn't mean there is "bad blood" between USF and Memphis.

Oh, trust me, it's got nothing to do with my own distaste for Johnson. The bad blood flows from before Memphis spearheaded the delay in USF being allowed to join Conference USA in football. For some folks over there, it goes all the way back to Dana Kirk turning USF in for a minor recruiting violation under Lee Rose. There's some pretty strong underlying dislike for Memphis from back then within the department, but as I said, those issues have nothing to do with our current athletic administration (though I'm sure our president still remembers Johnson running down USF during the last Big East expansion, since she was there for it).

As somebody said above, I think given our druthers, though, our athletic department would much rather see Memphis or ECU than any other candidates...

USFFan

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Cubanbull - 05-15-2008 02:07 PM

As I said, MT and the Big East will deny everything until all the ducks are lined up and everything is agreed on. You are not going to announce adding anyone now because then you would have to explain a SPLIT or how you are adding a partial or full member. You will also be asked about TV contracts etc.
So when you hear from the Big East and NT or whoever is in charge is where everything has been ironed out and everyone knows hats happenning.
Secondly I think that if there is a split only ONE team will come in right now that team would seem to be Memphis they can offer the MOST RIGHT now. ECU and UCF are worthwhile dditions but they arent going anywhere and the BE can wait 5 years to expand if necessary.
Of the three I would think USF would favor Memphis the most, USF would ptrobably not want UCF in at this point when the Bulls are emerging as program that could be a national one. So Im sure the BE would think let USF develop that stature before adding another florida team in close proximity.
Im sure we will be hearing more rumors rest of the year with a possible announcement in early 2009 after football is done.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Tigeer - 05-15-2008 02:08 PM

CatsClaw Wrote:
usffan Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:
usffan Wrote:

USFFan

USFFan

I am not sure why there would be any animosity toward the UoM by USF. UoM gave USF a nice playing partner while they made the move up the football charts; USF got the spot in the BE as well. Any animosity by UoM supporters, like me, is purely envy, that is all.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - CatsClaw - 05-15-2008 02:08 PM

MUAvalanche Wrote:
Bearcats#1 Wrote:So...are the Memphis/BE talks for immediate membership? If so...would a split be then immediate? I would hope because 17 bball teams would be bad (16 is already bad enough).

And if we split, who gets to keep name Big East? I assume the bball only schools?

So many questions, so few answers......

I doubt membership would be immediate, as there is CUSA to consider. When the Big East, A-10 and Mountain West took CUSA teams, CUSA was left with 6 teams (Memphis, ECU, UAB, USM, Tulane, Houston). CUSA needs to keep those 6 together until the new teams (UTEP, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, UCF, Marshall) have been in the conference for at least 5 years. Then, the 6 teams together for 5 year rule for the NCAA auto bid will be met for CUSA. Given what happened with the ACC, I doubt that the BE football presidents would want to hurt CUSA in this manner.

Same for the Big East. If there is a split before 2010, the football conference will not qualify as a conference for NCAA basketball purposes, as they will not have been together for at least 5 years.

They'll qualify as a basketball conference, they just wouldn't get an automatic berth depending on negotiations. When the Great Midwest and Metro dissolved and became C-USA they actually got the Metro Conferences automatic berth. The Great Midwest hadn't been together long enough to get one yet. It depends. The football schools would likely allow the basketball schools to keep the Big East's automatic berth and the football schools would just form their own conference. They MIGHT get a waiver since the football schools would have been together for more then 5 years. Either way, the football schools' conference would qualify as a basketball conference, it just wouldn't get an automatic NCAA Tournament berth.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - CatsClaw - 05-15-2008 02:11 PM

usffan Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:
usffan Wrote:
CatsClaw Wrote:
usffan Wrote:

USFFan

USFFan

Oh, trust me, it's got nothing to do with my own distaste for Johnson. The bad blood flows from before Memphis spearheaded the delay in USF being allowed to join Conference USA in football. For some folks over there, it goes all the way back to Dana Kirk turning USF in for a minor recruiting violation under Lee Rose. There's some pretty strong underlying dislike for Memphis from back then within the department, but as I said, those issues have nothing to do with our current athletic administration (though I'm sure our president still remembers Johnson running down USF during the last Big East expansion, since she was there for it).

As somebody said above, I think given our druthers, though, our athletic department would much rather see Memphis or ECU than any other candidates...

USFFan

My bad, I thought this just stemmed from the RC's comments about USF. This is the first I have ever heard of any of that, that's interesting.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - usffan - 05-15-2008 02:24 PM

Tigeer Wrote:I have a question to pose to the board.

Why couldn't the BE split but not really? Kinda like a parent corporation with two subsidaries. Not compete in the same basketball league but have deals back and forth for non-conference games. FB schools in one league and BB in another, including ND.

Two BE tourneys in the Garden.

The so-called parent company could work on T.V. contracts, etc. and at the end of the day share some head-quarter resources.

A mega consortium with two BB leagues.

Heck ND plays this game already and gets away with it.

It's funny you mention this - I've long thought that this would be the most workable way of "splitting" without much of the angst. Set up two 9-team divisions (one with football, one without) that gives you 16 basketball games, and then set up a rotating cross-divisional game or two every year.

USFFan

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Cubanbull - 05-15-2008 02:33 PM

I dont believe that the NCAA allows it. Only ONE rep would get an automatic bid for NCAA

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - CatsClaw - 05-15-2008 02:35 PM

Cubanbull Wrote:I dont believe that the NCAA allows it. Only ONE rep would get an automatic bid for NCAA

The Big East already approached the NCAA about splitting the conference but staying under the same umbrella and the NCAA said that they would still only get one automatic NCAA Tournament berth. So they would just be better off splitting off into two separate conferences altogether.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Cubanbull - 05-15-2008 02:47 PM

Heres`a question for someone from Memphis, When is the Liberty Bowl contract up again?. You figured if Memphis is added and they bring this bowl that must be part of next negotiations.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - texasorange - 05-15-2008 02:49 PM

CatsClaw Wrote:
Cubanbull Wrote:I dont believe that the NCAA allows it. Only ONE rep would get an automatic bid for NCAA

The Big East already approached the NCAA about splitting the conference but staying under the same umbrella and the NCAA said that they would still only get one automatic NCAA Tournament berth. So they would just be better off splitting off into two separate conferences altogether.

That's what I remember too. But I doubt the NCAA would ignore a conference with Cincinnati, UConn, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, Louisville, USF & Memphis. We would get an auto bid for the NCAA Tournament.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Cubanbull - 05-15-2008 02:52 PM

Nevermind i found it the current SEC-CUSA contract runs thru the 2009 season.
So if the liberty is going renegotiate for 2010 and beyond. you figure if BE is going o add Memphis 2010 would be perfect time for them to start BE play.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - TIGER-PAUL - 05-15-2008 03:01 PM

I'm thinking the BE may be inquiring about the liberty bowl and it turned into this.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - MUAvalanche - 05-15-2008 03:02 PM

CatsClaw Wrote:They'll qualify as a basketball conference, they just wouldn't get an automatic berth depending on negotiations.

That's what I meant. Didn't feel like typing it all out.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - UofMemphis - 05-15-2008 03:06 PM

man...it would be so nice to see Louisville, Cincy, and even USF back on the football/basketball schedules.

i could also see Memphis v. WVU becoming a big basketball rivalry with Cal v. Huggs.

i would like to see...

Cincy
Louisville
Memphis
Pitt
Rutgers
UConn
USF
Syracuse
WVU
------------
DePaul
Georgetown
Marquette
Villanova

Bowls:
*BCS Bowl bid*
Liberty Bowl
Gator Bowl
Birmingham Bowl
International Bowl

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Bearcats#1 - 05-15-2008 03:19 PM

With the power of the bball teams we'd have in the new football conference an automatic bid to ncaa tourney wouldn't really be that big of a deal...

UCONN
Cuse
UofL
Cincy (rising back to power FAST)
Pitt
Memphis
WVA
Rutgers
USF

Perhaps only Rutgers and USF next season would be hurt by no automatic bid......Everyone else gets in anyway......

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - CardinalJim - 05-15-2008 03:31 PM

There are only so many place available in BCS conferences and 60 or so teams to fill them so competition is going to be tight. Everyone knows the Big 11 is eyeing ND. It's been 10 years since Notre Dame said thanks but no thanks to the Big 11. So maybe that's in play AGAIN.
If Notre Dame says no and the Big 11 is finally ready to say screw you Irish and offer the spot to Rutgers, Syracuse or Missouri, that could be in play.
Then you have the 8 Big East football schools breaking away and adding from one to four members. That could finally be in play.
Right now there are anywhere from 1 (Big 11) to 5 (4 Big East, if conference split and football went to full 12) BCS spots available. These schools are all going to campaign for those spots.
Things like this that have been reported are just the start.
CJ

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - CardinalJim - 05-15-2008 03:34 PM

CyberBull Wrote:Interesting…..either UCiF is really happy and wants to stay in CDOA or they have learned from USF on how to conduct themselves as prospective expansion candidates b/c we have yet to hear a peep from east Orlando. BTW…I have no inside information…but I just think its interesting how things are developing.

I made the same observation a few days ago. It almost looks like UCF knows they are in and Memphis and ECU are battling for the final spot. It's going to be interesting to watch.
CJ