CSNbbs
Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) (/thread-298590.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Tigers2B1 - 05-14-2008 09:34 PM

http://community.myfoxmemphis.com/blogs/MattStark/2008/05/14/Tigers_Big_East_Bound

Quote:Ever since the Memphis Tigers got left behind in the Great Bum Rush to leave Conference USA-- also known as the Big East expansion in 2003-- Tiger fans have had one singular goal. To follow their old rivals from Louisville, and Cincinnati to the greener pastures of the Big East.

And here's where it gets interesting.

Sources have confirmed to FOX13 Sports that University of Memphis officials have been in serious talks with the Big East about joining the conference.

How about them apples?

If and when it happens, the University of Memphis will the jackpot. Big time.

As a member of a BCS conference, the revenue sharing they would be entitled to, blows away anything they receive from Conference USA.

Consider this. In football alone, the Big East received over 18 million dollars to divide among it's 8 football members following the 2006-2007 season. Conference USA meanwhile had to split 18 million dollars with 4 other Conferences, comprised of 51 schools. The Tigers take of that, came to a mere 353 thousand dollars.

Talk about living in a different tax bracket.

So what do you think?

Obviously this would move would benefit the Tiger Football program more than any other. What would it mean though for Tiger hoops? John Calipari has proven that he can prosper as the Big Fish in a small pond (3 straight 30 plus win seasons), would he enjoy knocking heads in the rugged and tradition rich Big East Conference?

This brings up a whole lot of questions and avenues to explore, but to avoid turning this into the worlds longest blog entry, I'll end it now with this--Would you have any reservations about the Memphis Tigers joining the Big East, or is it a no-brainer to leave C-USA in the dust?

Add a Comment

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - BYUcoog - 05-14-2008 09:47 PM

No brainer..good football w/ good attendance..Final four bb team..Liberty bowl vs SEC.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - Tigeer - 05-14-2008 09:56 PM

BYUcoog Wrote:No brainer..good football w/ good attendance..Final four bb team..Liberty bowl vs SEC.

My setiments exactly but I am biased. Arkansas, Ole Miss and Mississippi State would cringe the day Memphis, if it were to happen, got into a BCS league.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - cuseroc - 05-14-2008 09:59 PM

That would be great news if its true. Where there is smoke, there apparently is fire. Looks like there maybe something to the rumors that we have been hearing. I hope its true, and hopefully it means a split.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - templefootballfan - 05-14-2008 10:10 PM

If Fedex is paying Memphis way. EC wants to cover there own wieght. BE lowballs Temple again. Championship games covers UCF. Split going to 12 wouldn't cost FB schools anything.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - CyberBull - 05-14-2008 10:14 PM

Interesting. I wonder if the suits in Orlando are beginning to sweat?

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - KnightTower - 05-14-2008 10:17 PM

If Memphis goes, its more likely that another CUSA team (or teams) moves up as well.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - ccbfan - 05-14-2008 10:17 PM

Still just rumor but I guess the timing couldn't have been more right.

The whole ECU thing showed ECU is pretty much trying to give everything just to get a foothold to get into the BE. This meant other teams might have been chosen or favored and ECU is pretty much giving its last ditch effort.

Also if the 2010 deadline is still around this would be about the time when negotiations start.

I remember the whole ACC raid was about now because Donna Schalala was was at my graduation and it was right before she decide to leave for the ACC.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - SF Husky - 05-14-2008 10:28 PM

If Memphis comes, it better come with the Liberty Bowl. It wouldn't be bad if Memphis offered the same deal ECU did just to get in.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - fsquid - 05-14-2008 10:34 PM

AD wouldn't comment during the news. A booster did though.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - ClairtonPanther - 05-14-2008 10:40 PM

hopefully this is true and not just a rumor.

and remember people this is just talks and nothin official. lets not get too ahead of ourself w/ the split threads and stuff..

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - fsquid - 05-14-2008 10:43 PM

Personally, I don't see how the number work, but I don't get paid to do that stuff

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - ClairtonPanther - 05-14-2008 10:52 PM

i saw the news report on i think fox 13. a booster came out to the media not the ad. so i have an itchy feeling that this is just a rumor coming out of memphis. we'll hear about this in the next coming days

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - TexanMark - 05-14-2008 11:10 PM

animus Wrote:i saw the news report on i think fox 13. a booster came out to the media not the ad. so i have an itchy feeling that this is just a rumor coming out of memphis. we'll hear about this in the next coming days

If it is true--and the BE doesn't split--look for another team to come along (like St Louis, UMass, Xavier)...48 Big East Teams by 2018 or bust.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - ClairtonPanther - 05-14-2008 11:12 PM

i checked out foxsports, espn and memphis's sports page. http://gotigersgo.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mem-m-footbl-body.html

nothing on any of them. hate to burst a bubble but i don't think this is true.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - SF Husky - 05-14-2008 11:15 PM

animus Wrote:i checked out foxsports, espn and memphis's sports page. http://gotigersgo.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mem-m-footbl-body.html

I still think if BE gonna add anyone it will be the Orlando market and UCF. It is the most appealing location as far as vacation, away trip and others etc.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - ecu92 - 05-14-2008 11:20 PM

This wouldn't really be a surprise, would it? If Tranghese was ever going to agree to further expansion, wouldn't it be for a basketball school?

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - GrayBeard - 05-14-2008 11:20 PM

SF Husky Wrote:
animus Wrote:i checked out foxsports, espn and memphis's sports page. http://gotigersgo.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mem-m-footbl-body.html

I still think if BE gonna add anyone it will be the Orlando market and UCF. It is the most appealing location as far as vacation, away trip and others etc.

You would have to think that USF would be lobbying hard against that. They are pretty much the same market and in direct competition for recruits, TV coverage, etc.

Now, I am not saying it wouldn't happen, but I think the Bulls would be very unhappy with that.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - ECU-DMB Fanatic - 05-14-2008 11:21 PM

ccbfan Wrote:Still just rumor but I guess the timing couldn't have been more right.

The whole ECU thing showed ECU is pretty much trying to give everything just to get a foothold to get into the BE. This meant other teams might have been chosen or favored and ECU is pretty much giving its last ditch effort.

Also if the 2010 deadline is still around this would be about the time when negotiations start.

I remember the whole ACC raid was about now because Donna Schalala was was at my graduation and it was right before she decide to leave for the ACC.

First of all that CT article got its info from a unknown ECU booster and not from anyone officially associated with the Administration. Secondly that was in no way new information or a new proposal. That information has been known around ECU for about a year or so.

Apparently that information was discussed with and relayed to some people associated with the Big East by ECU officials as a proposal when the Big East was discussing adding either Navy and or Army for some sort of associate membership in the Big East for football about a year ago and were turned down by Navy. ECU officials figured if they were looking that they would try to give them a proposal that would be difficult to ignore.

So that info that came out last week was nothing new and was not a reaction to any recent developments.

RE: Memphis TV station reports 'Memphis - Big East in "serious talks" (LINK) - gdayre - 05-14-2008 11:29 PM

We, in Memphis, have known about Fred Smith and Mt having talks since FED X donated money for the renovations on the Baseball Stadium. Alan Graff told RC that Fred has talks with MT about every 2 weeks. It was caught on tape by one of the local TV stations.