CSNbbs
The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Charles Harris Memorial People's Forum (/forum-511.html)
+------ Thread: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic (/thread-259583.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - spar03tan - 10-28-2007 11:38 AM

This reply is for Tiger Tommy and all the other people who are thrashing the SHC:
Let's not blame the SHC for the trash. The problem here is people's carelessness and disrespect for throwing away trash. It happens all the time everywhere. For the month of May, Tom Lee Park is a litterfest, the Mid South Fair leaves mucha basura (a lot of trash in Spanish), even at the UofM people carelessly leave the Daily Helmsman on the floors of classrooms and other places when finished.

As for the "extra-security" issue, how could u complain against having extra security? If it's required you should be glad that it's provided! Should the Beale Street Music Festival be canceled because it requires more security compared to the Sunset Symphony Orchestra Concert? Or wait better yet, why don't we shut down Beale Street because it requires more security than Main Street? Yeah I really like the logic posed in that argument. (I'm being seriously sarcastic)

As for restaurant workers requesting to be off for the weekend...that's absolutely ridiculous. At my job, I choose to work for the group of customers that I work for regardless of how annoying they are daily, but it's my job. So instead of blaming the SHC for these problems, lets face the real issues that most people don't care about litter, most people hate to work, and most people DO care about themselves.

ENFORCE LITTER CONTROL LAWS
GO TO WORK
and most importantly,

TRY TO USE LOGICAL UNBIASED CLAIMS WHEN MAKING AN ARGUMENT IN THIS WONDERFUL FORUM

thanks!04-rock

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - spar03tan - 10-28-2007 11:41 AM

Oh Yeah also:
I would love to see an on-campus stadium as much as the next person, but it's hard for me to ignore that an OCS would not be the best option for the entire region.
-A lot of people like the SHC and LB.
-A lot of business in Memphis profits from the SHC and LB (I think to the tune of around 11M annually each event)
-The SHC is a nice cultural event
Can we as Memphians honestly say goodbye and pack the bags of the SHC and LB as some people have stated on this thread? I guess those people have no problem with packing bags of money and sending them away, I don't know there are a lot of weird people in the world. Anyway, the best solution for everybody would be to build a new facility on the redeveloped fairgrounds area. A facility that would be designed to handle venues such as the SHC, LB, and Tigers Games with excellence. Then possibly we could attract more business to use this facility and generate more revenue for everyone! Three Cheers for the idea of WORKNG TOGETHER FOR A COMMON GOOD!!!

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - ChattTiger - 10-28-2007 11:49 AM

the first post was good. second, not so good.

one of the best options for the entire region is for The University of Memphis to be as strong as it can be, as a top regional university. the entire region benefits much more from a growing, vibrant University than it does from two football games that feature schools from outside the community. I'm not knocking the LBG and SHC, it is great to bring people to Memphis. And your points about added security are very valid. But an OCS would help create a more robust university experience for students, alumni, and fans, as well as showcase The University to the region in ways that it can't or doesn't right now.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - tigertom - 10-28-2007 11:50 AM

spar03tan Wrote:Oh Yeah also:
I would love to see an on-campus stadium as much as the next person, but it's hard for me to ignore that an OCS would not be the best option for the entire region.
-A lot of people like the SHC and LB.
-A lot of business in Memphis profits from the SHC and LB (I think to the tune of around 11M annually each event)
-The SHC is a nice cultural event
Can we as Memphians honestly say goodbye and pack the bags of the SHC and LB as some people have stated on this thread? I guess those people have no problem with packing bags of money and sending them away, I don't know there are a lot of weird people in the world. Anyway, the best solution for everybody would be to build a new facility on the redeveloped fairgrounds area. A facility that would be designed to handle venues such as the SHC, LB, and Tigers Games with excellence. Then possibly we could attract more business to use this facility and generate more revenue for everyone! Three Cheers for the idea of WORKNG TOGETHER FOR A COMMON GOOD!!!
Since you are into copying and pasting....this fits as well.

"The main objective is what???? If I recall, it is to BRING U OF M ALUMNI/FRIENDS BACK TO THE CAMPUS FOR REPEATED RECONNECTION AND ASSOCIATION WITH AND PARTICIPATION IN U OF M FUNCTIONS, PEOPLE AND BE PROACTIVE IN CONTRIBUTION TO SAME.

Any participation at any function in conjunction with the SHC DOES NOT accomplish this objective in any way whatsoever.

Partial benefit of growing U of M benefits through some enhancement of the LB Game, may contribute to that objective. Exploitation of that benefit should be studied for it's effectiveness. I would think it may be partial at best. I don't believe Louisville, Cincinnati and USF brought any bowl game to the table in their moves... DID THEY?

Plan for, promote and establish U of M goals and follow them to the successful conclusion of the university. Let the City of Memphis do what it wants with the LB Stadium and press on."

"The SHC is a nice cultural event" ... this has to be a reach.

The OCS should be OF the U of M, BY the U of M, FOR the U of M. Anything short of this goal is acceptance of a future that is a short shrift to the university.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - OneShiningMoment - 10-28-2007 11:52 AM

Shoulda stopped while you were ahead with the first post. Sequels are usually never as good as the original.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - mphsfan - 10-28-2007 11:55 AM

OneShiningMoment Wrote:Shoulda stopped while you were ahead with the first post. Sequels are usually never as good as the original.

I'm looking at your signature...ya think Hankins is getting any dates? It looks like he can lick his eyebrows. 05-stirthepot

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - OneShiningMoment - 10-28-2007 11:58 AM

mphsfan Wrote:
OneShiningMoment Wrote:Shoulda stopped while you were ahead with the first post. Sequels are usually never as good as the original.

I'm looking at your signature...ya think Hankins is getting any dates? It looks like he can lick his eyebrows. 05-stirthepot

Either that or he's trying to do an imitation of Jim Carey.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - spar03tan - 10-28-2007 12:14 PM

well I posted the second one because I didn't think anyone was still paying attention to the first SHC thread. My bad.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - egrizzard - 10-28-2007 12:21 PM

Uhhhh---I wanna be nice.
We need to be most concerned with the good for the UM. We see how concerned the "region" is with us.
The SHC is one game, once a year. A lot of Memphis fans feel the SHC gets more support from the city with their annual appearance than the PRIMARY tennant, the Tigers. Logos come to mind here--
Furthermore, it seems that the SHC attempts to hold the city hostage with their antics.

As for the Liberty Bowl, if they wanna take off I will hate it. But we can not continue to put the needs of others ahead of the University if we truly wish to become a stable entity in the world of college football.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - kpigout - 10-28-2007 12:23 PM

Does the SHC care anything at all about The University of Memphis or The University of Memphis Tigers?

Does Fred Jones care anything at all about The University of Memphis or The University of Memphis Tigers?

Has Fred Jones or anyone associated with the SHC ever said anything at all publicly about the University of Memphis or the Tigers in support of either one in any shape, form, or fashion?

All they care about is their game. Their deal is with the city, not the Tigers or the University.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - egrizzard - 10-28-2007 12:25 PM

very good, kpig. My point exactly!!!!!!

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - OneShiningMoment - 10-28-2007 12:27 PM

Who can remember the chaos several years back when SHC decided that it wanted to play its game the same day the Tigers played?

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - mphsfan - 10-28-2007 12:29 PM

kpigout Wrote:Does the SHC care anything at all about The University of Memphis or The University of Memphis Tigers?

Does Fred Jones care anything at all about The University of Memphis or The University of Memphis Tigers?

Has Fred Jones or anyone associated with the SHC ever said anything at all publicly about the University of Memphis or the Tigers in support of either one in any shape, form, or fashion?

All they care about is their game. Their deal is with the city, not the Tigers or the University.

In the words of the great Larry Finch, "NO doubt about it!"

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - egrizzard - 10-28-2007 12:29 PM

me. me. me.

Like I said, I wanna be nice. And because of what I do for a living, I need to be nice with regards to this subject. But, the SHC is one game, and a lot of people don't like it much.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - georgiatiger - 10-28-2007 12:32 PM

spar03tan Wrote:Can we as Memphians honestly say goodbye and pack the bags of the SHC and LB as some people have stated on this thread? I guess those people have no problem with packing bags of money and sending them away, I don't know there are a lot of weird people in the world. Anyway, the best solution for everybody would be to build a new facility on the redeveloped fairgrounds area. A facility that would be designed to handle venues such as the SHC, LB, and Tigers Games with excellence. Then possibly we could attract more business to use this facility and generate more revenue for everyone! Three Cheers for the idea of WORKNG TOGETHER FOR A COMMON GOOD!!!

Most of the posters here are concerned about the University. Let the city work out their own problems. The U is already a tremendous asset to Memphis. What more is wanted from us? We shouldn't have to compromise our desire for a traditional college campus and future growth of the U in order to line others pockets. We've had enough of that.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - Pressed Rat - 10-28-2007 12:44 PM

Most of the posters here are concerned about the University. Let the city work out their own problems. The U is already a tremendous asset to Memphis. What more is wanted from us? We shouldn't have to comprimise our desire for a traditional college campus and future growth of the U in order to line others pockets. We've had enough of that

Like RC said he's waiting on the check. It ain't us until the check passes the bank.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - Claw - 10-28-2007 12:45 PM

The REAL truth about the Southern Heritage Classic? Can you handle the REAL truth?

The REAL truth is that The Liberty Bowl Stadium was built to bring an NFL team to Memphis. The Tigers would be brought in to play there to provide a regular tenant until professional football arrived. But the NFL didn't come. We did steal a college bowl game because we were further south and had a new facility.

What DID come was a continual stream of would-be football leagues and even professional soccer. For a few years, the stadium hosted neutral-site SEC football games, but then even the smaller SEC stadiums outgrew The Liberty Bowl. All those years, the facilities operations were propped up by the Tigers and The Liberty Bowl Game.

Then, at a time when nothing else would come to the Liberty Bowl, the Southern Heritage Classic was started. It was a big risk for the promoters, but it meant nothing to the city. It was an event for a dying facility that had outlived its purpose. So a failing, decliniing facility found one more tenant, and they were so desperate, they made it affordable for the SHC.

The promoters of the SHC did a great job, and they have built their event from nothing. But, the real truth about the SHC is that it would never have happened - never DID happen - until the Liberty Bowl Stadium reached a point of decline and desperation that made it financially attractive to have the SHC.

Had pro-football ever come to town, I doubt we would ever have seen the SHC. It's a buzzard event that is feeding off a dying Liberty Bowl. Build a new stadium - ANY new stadium - and then see it the SHC can pay the necessary rent for gameday. I think Fred would pitch a fit for money from the city or move somewhere else. The day is coming when the city will pay all the hosting costs of the SHC or it will move. Where the stadium is won't really matter, but you can bet the city will blame the UofM if they can.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - georgiatiger - 10-28-2007 12:48 PM

Pressed Rat Wrote:Like RC said he's waiting on the check. It ain't us until the check passes the bank.

It's us for me and it was my post. Speak for yourself.

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - Pressed Rat - 10-28-2007 12:55 PM

What makes you think I'm not?

RE: The REAL TRUTH about Southern Heritage Classic - OneShiningMoment - 10-28-2007 12:59 PM

Pressed Rat Wrote:What makes you think I'm not?

Cause Fred Jones with the SHC said so.