CSNbbs
Otto Fad thinks Big Sky might move up as a league - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: Otto Fad thinks Big Sky might move up as a league (/thread-25704.html)

Pages: 1 2

- bigskygriz - 05-15-2004 06:40 PM

Ambushed in Indy: Big Sky ready to lead I-AA exodus?

Otto Fad, CFAA/I-AA.com
May 14, 2004, 00:30

[Note: this is Part I of a series]

Hard-fought gains made by I-AA Football in recent years may soon be erased by the NCAA Division I Board of Directors, possibly prompting top programs to begin abandoning the sub-classification.

Recent actions and decisions pending before the board would have the combined effect of negating strong I-A standards developed in a comprehensive of analysis undertaken by the Division I membership in its two-year NCAA Football Study. Those standards were designed in large part to stabilize I-AA membership.

The dilution or elimination of I-A standards appears to be well underway. The Board has already delayed implementation of an important scheduling component for at least two years, and now appears ready to scuttle the home-game average attendance requirement. Additionally, a loophole that undermines the spirit of both the scheduling and home attendance standards is being exploited.

The I-AA exodus could begin out west with the Big Sky Conference -- one of the more stable football-playing leagues in all of Division I -- and eventually lead others to study reclassification to I-A.

Asked whether it was time for the Big Sky to prepare for such a move, commissioner Doug Fullerton cited the dwindling support for I-AA-stabilizing I-A standards.

“If the standards are indeed not going to stay in place,

- SportsDawg - 05-15-2004 11:46 PM

Interesting, but highly unlikely. But it would make it a lot easier for the WAC to sustain a ten team membership if they could pull the better teams out of the Big Sky Conference.

- broncobob - 05-16-2004 10:35 AM

Fullerton is playing politics!!!!

He wants tougher D1A requirements to slow the exodus of d1aa teams to d1a!

There is no way most Big Sky teams can afford the scholarships to be d1a. There are more than the attendance issues. Big Sky teams do not have the reuired 200 scholarships nor the number of sponsored sports. Maybe Montana and Montana State could meet those requirements, but I never see Idaho State or Eastern Washington every meeting them.

Still Smoke and Mirrors with Fullerton who is still pissed that Nevada, Boise State and Idaho left the Big Sky to go d1a!

- HerdZoned - 05-16-2004 01:03 PM

This happens I-AA will die. I will be back to I-A and DIV II

- SportsDawg - 05-16-2004 02:08 PM

HerdZoned Wrote:This happens I-AA will die. I will be back to I-A and DIV II
But it won't happen! Does anyone really believe that a whole D1AA conference could make the move to D1A? Maybe we should run a poll????

- VandalMar - 05-16-2004 03:41 PM

broncobob Wrote:Fullerton is playing politics!!!!

There is no way most Big Sky teams can afford the scholarships to be d1a. There are more than the attendance issues. Big Sky teams do not have the reuired 200 scholarships nor the number of sponsored sports. Maybe Montana and Montana State could meet those requirements, but I never see Idaho State or Eastern Washington every meeting them.

Still Smoke and Mirrors with Fullerton who is still pissed that Nevada, Boise State and Idaho left the Big Sky to go d1a!
Fullerton is a fool who has been undermining Idaho's efforts to become a successful 1-A team for years. I don't have any respect for the guy or whatever ideas come out of his noggin. In this case, he's just hoping that he can influence the NCAA into keeping the new 1-A attendance requirements in the hopes that it might force the Vandals back into his league, a league that I nor the University of Idaho wants any part of. Idaho, Boise State and Nevada left the Big Sky. Fullerton needs to get over it!

- Guest - 05-16-2004 03:54 PM

[quote="bigskygriz"] Ambushed in Indy: Big Sky ready to lead I-AA exodus?

Otto Fad, CFAA/I-AA.com
May 14, 2004, 00:30

[Note: this is Part I of a series]

Hard-fought gains made by I-AA Football in recent years may soon be erased by the NCAA Division I Board of Directors, possibly prompting top programs to begin abandoning the sub-classification.

Recent actions and decisions pending before the board would have the combined effect of negating strong I-A standards developed in a comprehensive of analysis undertaken by the Division I membership in its two-year NCAA Football Study. Those standards were designed in large part to stabilize I-AA membership.

The dilution or elimination of I-A standards appears to be well underway. The Board has already delayed implementation of an important scheduling component for at least two years, and now appears ready to scuttle the home-game average attendance requirement. Additionally, a loophole that undermines the spirit of both the scheduling and home attendance standards is being exploited.

The I-AA exodus could begin out west with the Big Sky Conference -- one of the more stable football-playing leagues in all of Division I -- and eventually lead others to study reclassification to I-A.

Asked whether it was time for the Big Sky to prepare for such a move, commissioner Doug Fullerton cited the dwindling support for I-AA-stabilizing I-A standards.

“If the standards are indeed not going to stay in place,

- bigskygriz - 05-16-2004 03:57 PM

VandalMar Wrote:

There is no way most Big Sky teams can afford the scholarships to be d1a.  There are more than the attendance issues.  Big Sky teams do not have the reuired 200 scholarships nor the number of sponsored sports.  Maybe Montana and Montana State could meet those requirements, but I never see Idaho State or Eastern Washington every meeting them.

Fullerton is a fool who has been undermining Idaho's efforts to become a successful 1-A team for years. I don't have any respect for the guy or whatever ideas come out of his noggin. In this case, he's just hoping that he can influence the NCAA into keeping the new 1-A attendance requirements in the hopes that it might force the Vandals back into his league, a league that I nor the University of Idaho wants any part of. Idaho, Boise State and Nevada left the Big Sky. Fullerton needs to get over it!

Actually Vandal, most BigSky fans especially in Montana DON'T WANT Idaho back. They want North Dakota State and South Dakota State. These are programs with top notch facilities and they will average 18-19,000 fans for football. We also would like to see Portland State and Sac. State move out and on to the Great West Conference. Just because the WAC is going to let you in out of desperation doesn't make you any less a struggling and loser program, Idaho is the definition of wantabe to all 1AA fans. Everyone from Maine to Georgia to Lousiana back to Illinois bring up Idaho as the poster boy for failed attempts to go 1A.

- HerdZoned - 05-16-2004 05:28 PM

SportsDawg Wrote:But it won't happen!  Does anyone really believe that a whole D1AA conference could make the move to D1A?  Maybe we should run a poll????
Not all but at 1 time I think 5 could have made the jump out of the Southern Conf at the same time.

Marshall
GA Southern
Furman
Appy State
Citadel

If they would have all had the fan support you need for I-A and facilities I think all 5 of these could have jumped when Marshall did in 97. Appy State and Furman where constantly in the play-offs at the time and Citadel was always right there.

I think within the next 5-7 years Appy State will attempt to move up. If the Sunbelt is gone by then. I would say the MAC would take them in if they have room.

- SportsDawg - 05-16-2004 11:42 PM

VandalMar Wrote:

There is no way most Big Sky teams can afford the scholarships to be d1a.  There are more than the attendance issues.  Big Sky teams do not have the reuired 200 scholarships nor the number of sponsored sports.  Maybe Montana and Montana State could meet those requirements, but I never see Idaho State or Eastern Washington every meeting them.

I think Fullerton was more upset at losing Idaho than Boise State and Nevada.
Idaho is the only Football Charter Member of the Big Sky to leave the Big Sky.
You are right VandalMar about Fullerton and his grudge against Idaho. I have heard him on KTIK Idaho sports talk several times.

He would love to get Idaho back in the Big Sky and I think most Montana fans would welcome Idaho back to the Big Sky too.

The WAC will get Idaho before the Big Sky does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- broncobob - 05-17-2004 08:14 AM

bigskygriz Wrote:
VandalMar Wrote:

There is no way most Big Sky teams can afford the scholarships to be d1a.   There are more than the attendance issues.   Big Sky teams do not have the reuired 200 scholarships nor the number of sponsored sports.  Maybe Montana and Montana State could meet those requirements, but I never see Idaho State or Eastern Washington every meeting them.

Actually Vandal, most BigSky fans especially in Montana DON'T WANT Idaho back. They want North Dakota State and South Dakota State. These are programs with top notch facilities and they will average 18-19,000 fans for football. We also would like to see Portland State and Sac. State move out and on to the Great West Conference. Just because the WAC is going to let you in out of desperation doesn't make you any less a struggling and loser program, Idaho is the definition of wantabe to all 1AA fans. Everyone from Maine to Georgia to Lousiana back to Illinois bring up Idaho as the poster boy for failed attempts to go 1A.
Hey BigSkyGriz,

I really think most Montana fans would welcome Idaho to the Big Sky with open arms. Idaho and Montana have a long time tradition in football and a pretty decent rivalry going.

What advantage would Portland State and Sac State have in moving to the Great West Conference?

Montana may like the North Dakota schools, but I think Idaho State, NAU, Weber and EWU would prefer Sac State and PSU!

Montana is one of the few d1aa teams that have a great chance being successful at the d1a level.

- arkstfan - 05-17-2004 08:50 AM

OK first of all, catch the "out" in the quote? Access to bowl games.

There will be no guaranteed access. A bowl is going to have to meet the certification ($2 mil line of credit and attendance requirement). I've never bothered to check to see if the exemption for a game pitting two league champions exists (allows you to pay less).

From a dollars standpoint the Big Sky could move en masse to I-A if they could exempt status for a bowl game and probably make more playing the champion of the Gateway than they do playing in the playoffs.

- broncobob - 05-17-2004 02:09 PM

arkstfan Wrote:OK first of all, catch the "out" in the quote? Access to bowl games.

There will be no guaranteed access. A bowl is going to have to meet the certification ($2 mil line of credit and attendance requirement). I've never bothered to check to see if the exemption for a game pitting two league champions exists (allows you to pay less).

From a dollars standpoint the Big Sky could move en masse to I-A if they could exempt status for a bowl game and probably make more playing the champion of the Gateway than they do playing in the playoffs.
Maybe 5 out of 8 Big Sky teams may be able to come up with enough resources to finance 200 scholarships and the 16 sports, but I know Eastern Washinton, Weber State and Idaho State could not do it. Do they just leave those schools behind and combine with Cal Davis ad Cal Poly or some of the top teams from the Gateway??

The Big Sky Conference has schools that, for the most part fit well geographically now and they will not leave anyone behind to make the jump. Fullerton is just flinging arrows to see if he can get some media coverage and try to strenthen the D1A requirements to keep teams from jumping from D1AA to D1AA!

As far as the bowl issue goes, If Montana could host a Bowl in Missoula, that would be the new ICE BOWL. The humanitarian Bowl would be balmy compared to a Montana Bowl.

He still wants Idaho to be forced back to the Big Sky!!!

- arkstfan - 05-17-2004 02:34 PM

[quote]“There is a sort of ‘Peter Principle’ at work in collegiate football. Institutions move their programs up until they can not sustain them, and then they either muddle along, running up losses and deficits or they drop football.

- 1boisebro - 05-17-2004 05:06 PM

whew!

this topic is making my head spin.

oh look! pea soup!

anyway, i thought that denver used to have football, too. or am i mistaken?

- broncobob - 05-17-2004 05:17 PM

[quote="arkstfan"] [quote]“There is a sort of ‘Peter Principle’ at work in collegiate football. Institutions move their programs up until they can not sustain them, and then they either muddle along, running up losses and deficits or they drop football.

- Dog Breath - 05-17-2004 08:37 PM

HerdZoned Wrote:This happens I-AA will die. I will be back to I-A and DIV II
D1AA WILL DIE......
I THOUGHT IT WAS ALREADY DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

How many D1aa teams can you name???

How many D1aa teams are there???

How many people really care???

- Dog Breath - 05-17-2004 08:40 PM

1boisebro Wrote:whew!

this topic is making my head spin.

oh look! pea soup!

anyway, i thought that denver used to have football, too. or am i mistaken?
Many, Many, Many Years ago, there was only one football team.

It was in Green Bay Wisconsin!

- 1boisebro - 05-17-2004 08:52 PM

i don't know who you are or what you do or where you're from, BUT:

bless you and your family, and your children, and your children's children for all eternity. may you be granted every inconceivable wish even if you wish to conceive. may you laugh forever and cry never, wax poetic yet never again have to wax your car, unless you wish to because you enjoy that kind of thing. may your every dream be erotic, fulfilling and fulfilled. may your metabolism enable you to turn donuts into size and beer into muscle, or vice-versa as you desire.

bless you, and peace be with you, brother/sister/dog/packer fan.

amen.
:bluethumb:

what. too much?

- DFW HOYA - 05-17-2004 08:55 PM

broncobob Wrote:
Quote:I was very disappointed when Boise State was in D1AA and Georgetown and all those other division III schools were thrown into D1AA.  Georgetown started appearing in the D1AA stats as one of the top ten offenses in D1AA.  That was ridiculous.  You had a group of about 35 to 40 schools  that were  classified D1AA that played Division III football schedules, but their stats counted in D1AA.
Georgetown was reclassified I-AA in 1993 and has not played a game below D-I in ten years. I-AA stats apply to all I-AA members, even those that play D-II and D-III schools.

The Hoyas' schedule continues to make progress. In addition to regular I-AA playoff participants like Lehigh and Colgate, the Hoyas played Florida International, VMI and Cornell in the last two seasons and have added Penn, Yale, and Brown on future schedules. Because it has a temporary field until construction concludes on a new facility, it is tough to get some opponents to play in DC, but they're making the effort.