CSNbbs
Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? (/thread-253638.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - chargeradio - 09-27-2007 10:21 PM

Texas-San Antonio has approved football and will play as a I-AA Independent before moving to I-A. Lamar has approved the addition of three women's sports recently and reportedly will announce the revival of its football program in the near future. Texas State has explored the idea of moving up to I-A as well.

If all three join the WAC, the conference could split into divisions:

Pacific - Hawaii, San Jose State, Fresno State, Nevada, Boise State, Idaho
Central - Utah State, New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, Texas-San Antonio, Lamar, Texas State

If Boise State does leave, perhaps North Texas finally joins the WAC, and Utah State could move to the Pacific Division.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - SpanaBaller - 09-27-2007 11:21 PM

chargeradio Wrote:Texas-San Antonio has approved football and will play as a I-AA Independent before moving to I-A. Lamar has approved the addition of three women's sports recently and reportedly will announce the revival of its football program in the near future. Texas State has explored the idea of moving up to I-A as well.

If all three join the WAC, the conference could split into divisions:

Pacific - Hawaii, San Jose State, Fresno State, Nevada, Boise State, Idaho
Central - Utah State, New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, Texas-San Antonio, Lamar, Texas State

If Boise State does leave, perhaps North Texas finally joins the WAC, and Utah State could move to the Pacific Division.

WOW!04-bow

With those teams...the WAC sure is destined to get an automatic bid to the BCS!04-bow

Props for thinking big-time!....NOT! And you guys cry everytime Boise St. brings up the expansion talks. Can you actually blame them? At first I thought adding Idaho was bad....but sheesh this idea of yours takes the cake.

memo to Boise: Join us ASAP before the WAC tries to screw you like they did when they added the WAC-16 way back when. The writings are on the wall.
Go MWC!

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - Six Pack - 09-28-2007 01:23 AM

Lamar...wasn't he that dude from Revenge of the Nerds?

[Image: lamar1.jpg]

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - aggiefansince83 - 09-28-2007 01:25 AM

Ummm, no thanks. We don't need Texas san antonio and all that. But leave it to Spana to treat this joke post as fact. He has nothing better to do but troll WAC boards begging Boise state to leave.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - mattsarz - 09-28-2007 08:14 AM

Nobody is going anywhere for at least four years. The NCAA has moratoriums on moves up to Division I and moves between the bowl subdivision and championship division.

Repeat with me, SAME AS IT EVER WAS. SAME AS IT EVER WAS.

(Taken from Once in a Lifetime by Talking Heads)

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - WAC_FAN - 09-28-2007 11:56 PM

One plus about Lamar joining the conference is that it's always fun to humiliate Billy Tubbs in basketball!!!

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - eldermars - 09-29-2007 11:59 AM

North Texas would be a good addition to the WAC, but they were approached once before and said "No". They're waiting for that C-USA invite.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - jediwarrior - 09-29-2007 01:06 PM

eldermars Wrote:
North Texas would be a good addition to the WAC, but they were approached once before and said "No". They're waiting for that C-USA invite.

True. ...and I think their decision alone has allowed the WAC to "restart" its migration back West. If the WAC is smart (...and that's in question), the WAC concentrates on "remaining" a "western" conference.

We're way better off.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - Juice752 - 09-29-2007 05:40 PM

eldermars Wrote:

Only because North Texas didn't want to be in the same boat Tech is now.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - chargeradio - 09-30-2007 01:07 PM

Actually, if Boise State did leave, would North Texas be more willing to be part of this:

WAC Central - North Texas, UTSA, Lamar, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State
WAC Pacific - Utah State, Idaho, Nevada, San Jose State, Fresno State, Hawaii

as opposed to this:

SBC West - North Texas, Arkansas State, UALR, UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayette, New Orleans, Denver
SBC East - Western Kentucky, MTSU, South Alabama, Troy, Florida Atlantic, Florida International

You'd only have at most three conference football games outside the Central Time Zone each year (one of which is New Mexico State), and only four conference basketball games outside the Central Time Zone (again, one of which is New Mexico State).

If the Sun Belt takes any of the new programs in Texas, though, I'd think UNT would stay put.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - ManzanoWolf - 09-30-2007 08:13 PM

chargeradio Wrote:Actually, if Boise State did leave, would North Texas be more willing to be part of this:

WAC Central - North Texas, UTSA, Lamar, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State
WAC Pacific - Utah State, Idaho, Nevada, San Jose State, Fresno State, Hawaii

as opposed to this:

SBC West - North Texas, Arkansas State, UALR, UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayette, New Orleans, Denver
SBC East - Western Kentucky, MTSU, South Alabama, Troy, Florida Atlantic, Florida International

You'd only have at most three conference football games outside the Central Time Zone each year (one of which is New Mexico State), and only four conference basketball games outside the Central Time Zone (again, one of which is New Mexico State).

If the Sun Belt takes any of the new programs in Texas, though, I'd think UNT would stay put.

From reading the NT board, I think NT prefers to stay with teams in the Central and Eastern time zones. They found during their Big West days that the Mountain and Pacific time zones are not best for their fans and athletes. Adding Texas State to the SBC would be a plus for NT.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - Krocker Krapp - 10-02-2007 02:15 PM

jediwarrior Wrote:True. ...and I think their decision alone has allowed the WAC to "restart" its migration back West. If the WAC is smart (...and that's in question), the WAC concentrates on "remaining" a "western" conference.
Exactly. I do not understand why so many WAC fans seem to be obsessed with returning to Texas. The WAC should have Sacramento State, followed by UC Davis, on speed dial in case any changes happen in the future. Concentrate on making California the epicenter of the WAC just as Texas is now, by and large, the epicenter of CUSA.

UTSA, by the way, has been very vocal about the fact that their target league is CUSA and their target date is 2014. They want to join UTEP and I actually think it would be a marketing plus for that league if they can actually pull it off. Of course they have a lot of work to do over the next seven years before they ever get to that point.

If there was a CUSA West Division of ... UTEP and UTSA, Houston and Rice, plus SMU and Tulsa ... that would be great for generating rivalries across all sports. Tulane would swing over to the CUSA East Division to turn up the heat in their rivalry with Southern Miss. The other four teams would be whoever the Big East does not pluck up.

As for Lamar, if they do indeed restart football, and Texas State ... I think they will remain in the Southland Conference for quite a few more years ... plus TAMU Corpus Christi and UT Arlington are looking at getting football programs going in that league too. But they would need to replace UTSA if they become successful in moving up.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - coachacola - 10-02-2007 10:55 PM

I don't think UTSA, Texas State or Lamar would be interested in the WAC. Lamar and La Tech were basketball rivals back in the 80s, but that's all these three schools have in common with the WAC schools. I also don't think they have the athletic budgets to handle the travel expenses.

UTSA wants to get in the CUSA, Texas State's administration hasn't shown much interest in moving up to FBS football, and Lamar was a member of the Sunbelt in the 90's and has many rivalries with the ex-SLC members of the Sunbelt

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - kingpotato - 10-04-2007 05:14 PM

I would be monsterously disappointed if the WAC expanded to Texas...

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - eager eagle - 10-04-2007 08:59 PM

Krocker Krapp Wrote:
jediwarrior Wrote:True. ...and I think their decision alone has allowed the WAC to "restart" its migration back West. If the WAC is smart (...and that's in question), the WAC concentrates on "remaining" a "western" conference.
Exactly. I do not understand why so many WAC fans seem to be obsessed with returning to Texas. The WAC should have Sacramento State, followed by UC Davis, on speed dial in case any changes happen in the future. Concentrate on making California the epicenter of the WAC just as Texas is now, by and large, the epicenter of CUSA.

UTSA, by the way, has been very vocal about the fact that their target league is CUSA and their target date is 2014. They want to join UTEP and I actually think it would be a marketing plus for that league if they can actually pull it off. Of course they have a lot of work to do over the next seven years before they ever get to that point.

If there was a CUSA West Division of ... UTEP and UTSA, Houston and Rice, plus SMU and Tulsa ... that would be great for generating rivalries across all sports. Tulane would swing over to the CUSA East Division to turn up the heat in their rivalry with Southern Miss. The other four teams would be whoever the Big East does not pluck up.

As for Lamar, if they do indeed restart football, and Texas State ... I think they will remain in the Southland Conference for quite a few more years ... plus TAMU Corpus Christi and UT Arlington are looking at getting football programs going in that league too. But they would need to replace UTSA if they become successful in moving up.
-
------------------------------------------------------------------
Is anyone seeing the big picture yet with any grasp of what is in the making? USTA and Charlotte, two examples, are in similar positions compared to South Fla less than 10yr ago. USTA and Charlotte have both stated cusa is their goal. No openings now but one would never get in if an opening occured without being prepared.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - Krocker Krapp - 10-06-2007 01:30 PM

If my feeling that the Big East will only expand by one school - if at all - in 2010 - and that school is Central Florida - then UTSA probably has a shot at CUSA if that league decides to pass on Louisiana Tech and North Texas again. Charlotte, even though they are a former CUSA member, could just end up with no FBS options. They better make sure that they have everything well planned out if they also decide to start a football program and try to fast track it to the FBS level.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - ManzanoWolf - 10-06-2007 07:42 PM

Krocker Krapp Wrote:If my feeling that the Big East will only expand by one school - if at all - in 2010 - and that school is Central Florida - then UTSA probably has a shot at CUSA if that league decides to pass on Louisiana Tech and North Texas again. Charlotte, even though they are a former CUSA member, could just end up with no FBS options. They better make sure that they have everything well planned out if they also decide to start a football program and try to fast track it to the FBS level.

If UCF departs CUSA, then a very real possibility is FAU to CUSA. Schnelly is building another program, FAU is building a new stadium, and FAU is in a highly populated coastal area (West Palm Beach, Boca Raton (FAU), Ft Lauderdale, and Miami). La Tech cannot compete with that, but NT has a chance in the DFW metro area.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - Krocker Krapp - 10-07-2007 01:20 PM

That is exactly why I want the Big East to take Central Florida as soon as possible rather than waiting too long. I do not want Florida Atlantic to be a viable option to Conference USA at that time.

For one thing, FAU is even further away from the rest of CUSA than UCF, that league is spread too widely. They do not need a team in Florida but should stick with the Texas and Mid-South regions.

If they were to end up with North Texas, for example, CUSA West would be very compact with five schools in Texas and one in Oklahoma. CUSA East would also be compact except Marshall and ECU.

That, in my opinion, would put them on more solid footing than trying to spread out too far just to chase elusive additional market share. The WAC will be better in the long haul with your current line-up.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - eager eagle - 10-07-2007 05:12 PM

Krocker Krapp Wrote:That is exactly why I want the Big East to take Central Florida as soon as possible rather than waiting too long. I do not want Florida Atlantic to be a viable option to Conference USA at that time.

For one thing, FAU is even further away from the rest of CUSA than UCF, that league is spread too widely. They do not need a team in Florida but should stick with the Texas and Mid-South regions.

If they were to end up with North Texas, for example, CUSA West would be very compact with five schools in Texas and one in Oklahoma. CUSA East would also be compact except Marshall and ECU.

That, in my opinion, would put them on more solid footing than trying to spread out too far just to chase elusive additional market share. The WAC will be better in the long haul with your current line-up.

UNT is not in any cusa plans for the future.

RE: Texas State, UTSA, Lamar to WAC? - Krocker Krapp - 10-07-2007 09:30 PM

North Texas was an example. Hence the words "for example" between the commas. That means it was an example.