CSNbbs
UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times (/thread-242100.html)

Pages: 1 2

UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - bearcatfan - 07-20-2007 01:10 PM

For a few years now over and over many posters have said UC has never been ranked - ever. I had never heard of UC being ranked so I believed them. I can think of a couple of Tulane fans in particular.

Well - today it has been proven false.

OK - it's only during 2 seasons, but it's certainly better than never.

Well - this is now officially refuted!

1976 - the week of 10/26 - #20

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/polls/ap/seasons.cfm?APPollID=459

# 20 10/25/54

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/polls/ap/seasons.cfm?APPollID=169

#13 11/1/1954

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/polls/ap/seasons.cfm?APPollID=170

#12 11/8/1954

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/polls/ap/seasons.cfm?APPollID=171

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - bitcruncher - 07-20-2007 01:17 PM

Now ... if only they can reach such heights again. 04-jawdrop

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - ShoreBuc - 07-20-2007 03:31 PM

I think most of the banter with UC fans was over the fact that UC has never finished ranked in a Final Top 25 poll. Maybe this is the year??

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - Fanatical - 07-20-2007 03:35 PM

Yes, they have never finished a season ranked

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - bitcruncher - 07-20-2007 04:14 PM

Like I said... if only they can reach such heights. 04-jawdrop

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - Gray Avenger - 07-20-2007 04:19 PM

Memphis leads the all-time series with the Bearcats 18-12, and they probably lead in basketball. I remember the first time we ever lost to them in football and the first time we beat them in basketball - both in the 70's. We enjoyed a natural rivalry which Memphis fans miss.

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - CatsClaw - 07-20-2007 04:53 PM

A lot of people twisted it into UC never having been ranked in school history. It's similar to the UC basketball graduation rate. UC had 2 or 3 freshman the 1996 season who all transferred or left the team. As a result UC had a 0% graduation rate for that recruiting class. Sports Illustrated and fans twisted that into UC having never graduated a basketball player under Bob Huggins which was stupid and uninformed. Tony Kornheiser is the most notorius for that. One thing about people getting on UC for not finishing a season ranked, UC's football program has some good tradition, including a couple of Sun Bowl wins.

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - CatsClaw - 07-20-2007 04:53 PM

ShoreBuc Wrote:I think most of the banter with UC fans was over the fact that UC has never finished ranked in a Final Top 25 poll. Maybe this is the year??

No, a lot of fans claimed UC was never ranked. Including a nutjob Florida State fan on this board.

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - Fanatical - 07-20-2007 04:58 PM

bitcruncher Wrote:Like I said... if only they can reach such heights. 04-jawdrop

consider yourself lucky that you'll get the opportunity to see it happen

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - CatsClaw - 07-20-2007 05:04 PM

Fanatical Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:Like I said... if only they can reach such heights. 04-jawdrop

consider yourself lucky that you'll get the opportunity to see it happen

Or possibly unlucky. 03-wink

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - bitcruncher - 07-20-2007 06:20 PM

Hey, I'd like to see them become a good team. Maybe it would draw some fans into the stadium. The views of the empty seats on TV doesn't look good for the BEast.

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - Ring of Black - 07-20-2007 07:25 PM

Gray Avenger Wrote:We enjoyed a natural rivalry which Memphis fans miss.

Us too Gray... but we still got basketball - well, that's not even a rivalry right now, but it'll be so again if Mick's rebuild proves successful.

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - bearcatstubb - 07-20-2007 10:08 PM

I believe we finished 26th in 1993...just 1 slot from the Top 25. UC was 8-3...my 1st year at UC and we were still an independant.

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - subflea - 07-21-2007 10:58 AM

bitcruncher Wrote:Hey, I'd like to see them become a good team. Maybe it would draw some fans into the stadium. The views of the empty seats on TV doesn't look good for the BEast.

Unfortunately even if we were to sell out there would still be empty seats on TV. The ones behind the visitor bench are so low you can't see over the players so no one ever sits in them. The TV cameras are always facing the visitors bench since the press box is on the Home side.

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - CatsClaw - 07-21-2007 11:16 AM

bitcruncher Wrote:Hey, I'd like to see them become a good team. Maybe it would draw some fans into the stadium. The views of the empty seats on TV doesn't look good for the BEast.

But you'll never make people completely happy. UC had 28,000 for the Rutgers game and Big East fans were complaining that it "looked empty".

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - bearcatfan - 07-21-2007 11:46 AM

CatsClaw Wrote:But you'll never make people completely happy. UC had 28,000 for the Rutgers game and Big East fans were complaining that it "looked empty".

To be fair -- I was at the game, and early on, there was not 28,000 there. I think the OSU bandwagon fans were slow to make there way to Nippert. It filled up a lot more after halftime.

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - Kit-Cat - 07-21-2007 12:13 PM

If UC ends up being a top 25 team, the question is who are they going to replace?

With only 8 schools, mathematically, it is almost impossible for them to have more the 4 in the top 25.......

Right now you have WVU, Louisville, Rutgers, USF?

On paper, I don't think UC would be that likely to bump one of those top 4.....it would probably be Pitt if anyone.

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - bearcatfan - 07-21-2007 12:22 PM

Kit-Cat Wrote:On paper, I don't think UC would be that likely to bump one of those top 4.....it would probably be Pitt if anyone.

On paper, UC lost to Rutgers and USF last year. In reality, they beat both of them handily.

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - Kit-Cat - 07-21-2007 12:32 PM

bearcatfan Wrote:
Kit-Cat Wrote:On paper, I don't think UC would be that likely to bump one of those top 4.....it would probably be Pitt if anyone.

On paper, UC lost to Rutgers and USF last year. In reality, they beat both of them handily.

I thought that proved more or less that the Big East is overrated....

WVU, Louisville, Rutgers....you are talking schools that have never been #1 before, in fact never ranked higher than #3.......

RE: UC football has been ranked - a couple of times - CollegeCard - 07-21-2007 12:52 PM

Kit-Cat Wrote:
bearcatfan Wrote:

I thought that proved more or less that the Big East is overrated....

WVU, Louisville, Rutgers....you are talking schools that have never been #1 before, in fact never ranked higher than #3.......

That doesn't even come close to making sense, but does show your anti-UC MAC sentiment and jealousy.

As for not being ranked #1, I'm fairly certain being ranked #3 puts you right there in the running at that top. And WVU has played in a title game within the last 20 years.