CSNbbs
NL Cy Young - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+----- Forum: Pro Sports (/forum-516.html)
+----- Thread: NL Cy Young (/thread-220873.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- flyingswoosh - 08-31-2003 10:22 PM

I hope everyone chooses Schmidt. While Prior is a better pitcher than schmidt, Schmidt has had a better season. Nomo and Brown have both been great, though not as good as Schmidt or prior. I know not everyone will pick schmidt but i hope nobody picks Ortiz, with his mere-mortal 3.71 ERA.

Webb was put in there for fun. While he shouldn't be Cy Young, he sure has saved the D-Backs this season.

- flyingswoosh - 08-31-2003 10:28 PM

I forgot about Livan Hernandez, i think he deserves some consideration.

You may have noticed that i left off Smoltz and Gagne. Cy Young means best pitcher as in not a one inning pitcher. Don't get me wrong, closers are really important, but, if a mediocre starting pitcher like Gagne can be the best closer, then can't guys like Schmidt and prior close? There should be an award for the best closer, if there isn't one already.

- GDawgs88 - 09-01-2003 03:13 PM

Definitly Ortiz. He leads baseball with 18 wins, and was a huge pickup after Kevin Millwood and Tom Glavine left, and with Maddux having a down year. I don't care what his ERA is. All I care about wins and losses.

- GDawgs88 - 09-01-2003 03:16 PM

Keep in mind though that I have more homer in me than The Simpsons. :D :laugh:

- flyingswoosh - 09-03-2003 02:17 PM

After Ortiz's latest crappy game against the Mets (a bad team, without jose reyes), i don't care how biased you are. There is no way you can sit there and tell me that ortiz should win the Cy Young. You might not be a firm believer in ERA, but what about innings/start? Ortiz goes about 6.1 innings/start. Also, he is third in run support, which is why he has won 18 games. Ortiz is the same pitcher he was with the Giants, and he definitely is not cy young caliber. I might be a little biased towards the Giants, but if Schmidt were having the overrated year ortiz is having i wouldn't say he was deserving of the cy young.

- GDawgs88 - 09-03-2003 06:20 PM

flyingswoosh Wrote:After Ortiz's latest crappy game against the Mets (a bad team, without jose reyes), i don't care how biased you are. There is no way you can sit there and tell me that ortiz should win the Cy Young. You might not be a firm believer in ERA, but what about innings/start? Ortiz goes about 6.1 innings/start. Also, he is third in run support, which is why he has won 18 games. Ortiz is the same pitcher he was with the Giants, and he definitely is not cy young caliber. I might be a little biased towards the Giants, but if Schmidt were having the overrated year ortiz is having i wouldn't say he was deserving of the cy young.
Oh don't tell me how bad Ortiz was today. Did you even watch the game? The Braves made 4 errors and Ortiz only gave up 3 ER's. Ortiz has carried the Braves staff all year. Without him we are the Colorado Rockies.

And I agree with you, Schmidt is having an unbelievable year. I wish the Braves still had him. But without Ortiz the Braves starting rotation is average at best. That's why he's my pick.

And Ortiz has 18 wins. I think Schmidt only has 13 or 14.

- GDawgs88 - 09-03-2003 06:31 PM

I'll say this: Head to head, Schmidt has been better than Ortiz this year. I'll give you that. But I give Ortiz the vote because he's been more important to the Braves than Schmidt has been to the Giants in my opinion. If you vote for Schmidt, then I have no problem with it whatsoever. I just don't see why you get so upset over my picking Ortiz.

Schmidt's having a great year.

Ortiz is having a great year.

I'll leave it at that.

- flyingswoosh - 09-03-2003 06:44 PM

i did watch the game. To tell you the truth, a cy young winner isn't supposed to give up a 2 run triple to jorge velandia, regardless of the errors, a 28 year old call-up. 5 innings 3 ER isn't very good. Ortiz has lost 3 of his last 4 games, and has thrown a combined 23 and 2/3 innings in those games. If Schmidt wins his next game he will be only 3 wins behind Ortiz.

As for Ortiz being more valuable than Schmidt, i disagree. Without Schmidt the Giants have (before Ponson) Jerome Williams, Foppert, Kirk Rueter (injured for many of his starts), Brower, and nobody. Without Ortiz the Braves have, Maddux, hampton, Ramirez, Reynolds (not sure when he came to the Braves), and nobody. That's better than the Giants. Also, the Braves have won many games solely on their hitting (Ortiz should know), the Giants don't have that luxury.

Lastly, thanks for taking Ortiz, we got half of Sidney Ponson (other half was Kurt Ainsworth) and Merkin Valdez (merkin the magician).

- flyingswoosh - 09-03-2003 06:44 PM

i forgot to add that Cy Young isn't who is more valuable to his team, but who is the best pitcher, regardless of team.

- GDawgs88 - 09-03-2003 06:53 PM

flyingswoosh Wrote:i forgot to add that Cy Young isn't who is more valuable to his team, but who is the best pitcher, regardless of team.
But you put Webb in simply because he saved the D-Backs season.

- GDawgs88 - 09-03-2003 06:55 PM

flyingswoosh Wrote:As for Ortiz being more valuable than Schmidt, i disagree. Without Schmidt the Giants have (before Ponson) Jerome Williams, Foppert, Kirk Rueter (injured for many of his starts), Brower, and nobody. Without Ortiz the Braves have, Maddux, hampton, Ramirez, Reynolds (not sure when he came to the Braves), and nobody. That's better than the Giants.
True. But remember, Maddux is having a down year, Hampton was terrible for the first 3 months and Reynolds aside from the occasional good start has been downright horrible.

- GDawgs88 - 09-03-2003 07:01 PM

flyingswoosh Wrote:i did watch the game. To tell you the truth, a cy young winner isn't supposed to give up a 2 run triple to jorge velandia, regardless of the errors, a 28 year old call-up.
Come on, I'm sure even Cy Young himself gave up a big hit to a rookie a time or two.

- flyingswoosh - 09-03-2003 07:32 PM

i also put webb in for fun, and because he's been awesome. Cy Young would make sure he didn't give up a triple to jorge velandia, and a HR to timo perez (who has all of 4 homers). Also, Webb was the only pitcher the d-backs had for a lot of the season, especially when batista was inconsistent. The Braves at least had seasoned veterans, the d-backs had bad starters who were also young.

Rueter has had an off year for most of the season and foppert's ERA is high.

- GDawgs88 - 09-04-2003 10:06 PM

flyingswoosh Wrote:Cy Young would make sure he didn't give up a triple to jorge velandia, and a HR to timo perez (who has all of 4 homers)
I don't know. Cy Young played in a different time. When triples and homers were freak occurances. My point is, every great pitcher makes a mistake or two. It just happens.

- flyingswoosh - 09-05-2003 07:47 AM

it doesn't matter if triples and homers were freak occurrences, Ortiz still gave up two big hits, to two crappy players. The Braves are fighting for the best record with the Giants and Ortiz loses to the Mets, and the Mets beat him with their crappy players not their good players, that's inexcusable.

- GDawgs88 - 09-05-2003 12:27 PM

flyingswoosh Wrote:it doesn't matter if triples and homers were freak occurrences, Ortiz still gave up two big hits, to two crappy players. The Braves are fighting for the best record with the Giants and Ortiz loses to the Mets, and the Mets beat him with their crappy players not their good players, that's inexcusable.
Good grief. Is Ortiz not entitiled to one bad game?

- flyingswoosh - 09-05-2003 01:51 PM

judging by his ERA i'd say he's had plenty of bad games. Look at his last 3 starts , they all suck.

- GDawgs88 - 09-05-2003 07:36 PM

flyingswoosh Wrote:judging by his ERA i'd say he's had plenty of bad games. Look at his last 3 starts , they all suck.
3 earned runs in 5 innings is not a bad start. Is it good? No, but it doesn't "suck". :rolleyes:

And a 3.75 ERA is very respectable. This isn't 1967.

- flyingswoosh - 09-05-2003 09:09 PM

How can you say that 5 innings 3 ER isn't a bad start? that's a 5.40 ERA, what kind of standards are you holding ortiz to?

- GDawgs88 - 09-06-2003 07:54 PM

flyingswoosh Wrote:How can you say that 5 innings 3 ER isn't a bad start? that's a 5.40 ERA, what kind of standards are you holding ortiz to?
Nobody can have a subpar day?