CSNbbs
Chance of an upset? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Proving Grounds (/forum-768.html)
+--- Forum: BigSouthbbs (/forum-12.html)
+---- Forum: Big South - South Division (/forum-702.html)
+----- Forum: Gardner-Webb (/forum-326.html)
+----- Thread: Chance of an upset? (/thread-17299.html)

Chance of an upset? - Runnin' Bulldog Pride - 01-07-2007 01:20 PM

Gardner-Webb hosts ETSU today in a game that tips off in about 45 minutes. On paper, this is a tremendous mismatch but I have a feeling that because ETSU is coming off back-to-back OT games against the two teams that most folks feel are the class of the conference, GWU has a shot to be pretty competitive.

If the threes are falling and the Runnin' Bulldogs avoid turnovers, this could be a game to keep an eye on.

I'll say Chris Gash will lead all scorers with somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 points.

- MercerFan - 01-07-2007 03:17 PM

Looks like you're right! 49-42 right now in G WEBB's favor with 10 minutes left. I just pulled up the audio to listen and it sounds like ETSU has more fans there than webb. I heard cheering and it was for ETSU's basket.

- Runnin' Bulldog Pride - 01-07-2007 04:19 PM

Well that is a tough pill to swallow. Gardner-Webb drops this one today 66-63 to ETSU.

They had an eleven point lead in the second half and could not close the deal. In addition, two Matt French free throws cut the ETSU lead to one with 37 seconds or so left, which led to ETSU missing the front end of a one and one.

Ricky McPhee put up a jumper with about 8 seconds left that missed off the front of the rim and forced the Webb to foul ETSU which then entered the double bonus.

The Bucs converted both free throws which left time left for a desperation three to tie the game. The Runnin' Bulldogs couldn't hit, and as a result ETSU got out of town with a 66-63 win.

I felt good about this game and they almost made me look smart.

STAT OF THE GAME: ETSU shot nearly 70% in the second half. That is absolutely unacceptable.

- Buccaneerlover - 01-07-2007 07:36 PM

Most of those points were off of defense. Offensively they had some issues today, but used a ridiculously hard defense to win. I bet if and when the students actually SHOW UP for games there, that's a really hard place to play in.
You guys need a NEW SCOREBOARD!!!

- Runnin' Bulldog Pride - 01-07-2007 09:20 PM

You've got to remember that most of the students are still at home because I don't think the spring semester begins until this week.

Once the Dawg Pound gets full, Paul Porter Arena is a very difficult place to play.