CSNbbs
Levier hopes to overcome knee injury - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt West Team Talk (/forum-290.html)
+----- Forum: Louisiana Cajuns (/forum-293.html)
+----- Thread: Levier hopes to overcome knee injury (/thread-13941.html)

- SwampHound - 08-19-2004 06:45 AM

Tom Dodge / Sports Editor
Posted on August 19, 2004

LAFAYETTE — He was face down in the sand, fighting back tears from a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered while attempting the triple jump for Port Barre High School.

Abdule Levier had already signed a football scholarship with the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, but the injury forced him to sit our for more than a year.

"It was a real tough thing for him," Port Barre head football coach Donnie Perron said of his former star´s injury and road to recovery. "I am glad to see that he overcame it and will get a chance to play.

"Abdule played for us for four years," Perron said of his former star. "What I remember most about him was his toughness.

"He played both ways — he was a linebacker then he would carry the ball 15-20 times a game."

Levier gained more than 2,800 yards his last two seasons at Port Barre, including 1,511 yards and 22 touchdowns as a senior.

"I knew I had to work hard through rehab," Levier said. "I enrolled in the spring and went through all the spring practices.

"When I started off it was kind of rough," Levier said. "I think I am ready to go but I still need to get stronger."

"I want to play this year," Levier said, "The spring went better than I expected coming off the knee surgery. I went through the whole summer of conditioning getting stronger and better.

"I think I can contribute," he said. "I want to help the Cajuns get better and better.

"I have good speed, but I would rather run inside between the tackles than outside," Levier said of his running style. "I can run and I have good hands, I think I am all-around player."

"We are very excited about the things Abdule showed us coming off of knee surgery," UL offensive coordinator Bob Christophel said of Levier´s spring practices. "He gave us some flashes of the guy that we recruited. Abdule is a guy that will give us some positive play."

"I haven´t played in a game in so long," Levier commented. "I am excited and more than ready to play."

<a href='http://www.dailyworld.com/html/8D263980-2134-4EF1-85E8-DB2934DF241C.shtml' target='_blank'>LINK</a>