CSNbbs
New era for Vandy baseball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC East Team Talk (/forum-237.html)
+----- Forum: Vanderbilt (/forum-245.html)
+----- Thread: New era for Vandy baseball (/thread-10869.html)

- Vandy Dandy - 09-19-2002 05:07 PM

Corbin era under way: Fall Ball began yesterday, and for the first time in 23 years, Vanderbilt's baseball team swung into action without Roy Mewbourne in the dugout.

The Tim Corbin era began with an afternoon practice, the first of 25 that will take place on Hawkins Field under the former Clemson assistant who replaced Mewbourne at the end of last season when the Commodores posted a 24-27 record, 7-21 in the SEC.

''The first thing I'm doing is just wanting to see them play,'' Corbin said. ''We'll start scrimmaging a lot after we go through an orientation of getting our system in place.''

Corbin is expected to turn up the intensity in his practices, which will be the biggest change from the former staff. He said that with 16 freshmen or sophomores on the roster, most positions are open heading into the 2003 season, which begins in February.

''It's tough to say how much of a change it is going to be for them because I don't know what they're used to,'' Corbin said. ''But we're going to have a quick practice pace and we're going to have a lot of competition in practice.''

Corbin is particularly looking forward to seeing pitcher Jeremy Sowers, shortstop Tony Mansolino, and second baseman Ryan Klosterman, a transfer who came with Corbin from Clemson.

''I'm really eager to see Sowers,'' Corbin said.